AT&T snatches up Alltel's US operations for $780 million

Seems like for a company as large as AT&T that wouldn't be a huge deal. Give them all a nice offer on an upgrade to come swap out their phone and call it a day on a good portion. Bet they see some serious backlash on the price plans though. Alltel is known around here for their discount rate services. Similar to T-Mobile.

I'm thinking this is all about bandwidth and not the subs. They won't care if they lose a large percentage of those people on the switch.

I thought Verizon bought out Alltel a few years ago. In Michigan Verizon didn't have native coverage or stores in the upper half of the state. We roamed on Alltel up there at our cabin in northern Michigan. I remember them advertising that the Alltel towers were theirs now and all the stores switched over to Verizon stores. I remember it being a pretty big deal around here because the state was pretty much 50-50 for Verizon and Alltel native coverage.

At&t bought Alltel here about a year ago. Most people have gone over to verizon after their contract was up.GSM dosent work as good as CDMA signals here.They did some tower upgrades but not enough.In fact the only local AT&T retailer is being shut down. Want AT&T here drive 50 miles to Fargo ND or go on line. There are 2 Verizon dealers local so guess where people will go. AT&T has abandoned us.

At&t bought Alltel here about a year ago. Most people have gone over to verizon after their contract was up.GSM dosent work as good as CDMA signals here.They did some tower upgrades but not enough.In fact the only local AT&T retailer is being shut down. Want AT&T here drive 50 miles to Fargo ND or go on line. There are 2 Verizon dealers local so guess where people will go. AT&T has abandoned us.
Same here 2 years ago, great signals to the east, non-existent to the west in the hills, even on top of mountains with clear sight of town...