AT&T To Buy DIRECTV for $67 Billion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Admit it, your done with D* regardless weather this goes thru or not ...

As soon as the NHL playoffs are done, I would have been putting my account on suspension for the summer and saving myself a few hundred dollars, just like last summer. So, yeah, this will make it a helluva lot easier to just call and cancel instead.

Gotta love it when your not allowed to improve yourselves and serve MORE customers.

This isn't improvement. It's a merger for the sake of AT&T's bottom line, and nothing more. It certainly isn't going to keep prices from going up at several times the rate of inflation.

The same for Comcast & TWC, which I've said is terrible for all, just not here; I'm stuck with Comcast, as my employer pays for it.

In the end, none of these guys are worth the price any more. The more I think about it, the more I'm looking forward to being a 'cord cutter'. There are certainly ways of getting the content I want, and I won't be paying nearly as much for it as I did for Dish and now DirecTV.

AT&T has finalized its deal to acquire DirecTV, the nation’s No. 1 satellite TV provider, for $94 per share. The boards of the respective companies reportedly came to terms of the $48.5 billion deal over the weekend in a major tie-up creates a pay-TV powerhouse that would have a similar scale and in some ways act as a response to Comcast’s proposed $45B merger with with Time Warner Cable and is just the latest major proposed consolidation in the TV and telecom industries.

deadline.com

The one good thing.
I would say the SEC network on Directv is a sure thing. Probably was anyway......

Merging of big companies, especially in the tv/telecom industry always makes me uneasy. This probably won't make much of a difference in the short term but i fear in the long term we will end up with only 1 or 2 tv providers to choose from.

and for people like me who do not have access to reliable high speed internet and thus cord cutting is out of the question, we will be screwed

My parents have uverse, do you think they will continue with the uverse service as well in the future?

My parents have uverse, do you think they will continue with the uverse service as well in the future?

Yes. The reason is there are tons of people who for a number of reasons have no access to satellite TV. Mainly, line of sight issues. Of course there are always the problems arising from living arrangements. Homes in historical districts, apartments. Condo associations which are not satellite friendly, etc.

quite the disparity in reported price http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/bre..._to_buy_directv_for.html#incart_river_default

found the difference

The companies expect the deal to close within 12 months. Under the terms agreed to today, DirecTV shareholders will receive $28.50 per share in cash and $66.50 per share in AT&T stock. The total transaction value is $67.1 billion, including DirecTV's net debt

I'm going to be open minded about this. Again,having services with both anyway,I'll just wait & see how it goes. It still has to be approved by the FCC.

This is much different than say XM and Sirius which was approved anyway. I see it getting approved, no reason for it not to be.

Direct Tv techs will soon be unionized if the sale is approved.

Prob the best thing to ever happen....the issue is most techs are working thru subs or providers that contract from Direct much like Dish uses RSP's.

Another good thing, U-verse customers probably will get access to MLB Extra innings and NFL sunday ticket as well I would guess.

Since both companies have its own TV service, then does it mean both companies will just play tag with TV subscribers? DirecTV and Uverse TV subscribers will go back and forth between the two? I am pretty sure the satellite dish requirement won't go away to serve those who cannot get paid TV service via physical cable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts