AT&T Unbundle Probs

theguglielmos

Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
CT
My wife and I are trying unbundle from AT&T to eliminate the extra $10 per month HD and for some $15 rate reduction. At the end of January, we contacted Dish who seemed agreeable and started the process of unbundling. Today, we called to check in and they said the request to unbundle wasn't submitted. They offered to submit it, of course, but we've lost a month in what we already thought was too long of a process.

Then, we were told that we are not 'bundled' by AT&T, but 'owned' by them and that we would have to send back our equipment and have interrupted service during the conversion.

Does this jibe? I've always loved Dish service and support, but today's interactions were a huge letdown. I'm pushing my wife to go other places, but I kind of hope you here can help with advice. You've been so helpful in the past.

Regards.

This is consistent with my experience. I wanted to upgrade to HD, but had to cancel with ATT and sign up directly with Dish. It was either that or pay $10/mo for HD and a $95 install fee. I did have to send back my old receiver and was without service for less than 24 hrs, but qualified for a bunch of new customer promos ($20 off for 1yr, 6 free PPV, free preview of Showtime, Starz, HD platinum). Had to use a different phone # to be considered a new customer I think. It was a fair exchange in my book.

theguglielmos, unfortunately some accounts in our system are owned by AT&T. We no longer do any bundling/services through AT&T though we do honor the accounts setup previously. Since we no longer offer services through them in order to get an AT&T owned account onto our system for our promotions we would need to cancel the current account, have the equipment sent back, and have a new account opened up under us directly.

If you would like me to look into your account specifically you can pm me the account #.

Thanks for the replies pvdb and Tommy.

My wife is really upset with the idea of exchanging our equipment and possibly paying for new installation/activations and our two year old daughter will be devastated to lose her collection of dvr'ed Yo Gabba Gabba episodes.

I'll PM you Tommy.

EDIT: I PMed you, but I'm uncertain the message was sent. PM me if you don't have it.

Last edited:
My wife is really upset with the idea of exchanging our equipment and possibly paying for new installation/activations and our two year old daughter will be devastated to lose her collection of dvr'ed Yo Gabba Gabba episodes.

You didn't say which receiver you have, but dish lets you hook up an external hard drive for free. If your receiver supports this, you will be able to save your daughter's programs.

You didn't say which receiver you have, but dish lets you hook up an external hard drive for free. If your receiver supports this, you will be able to save your daughter's programs.

Hey, I hadn't considered that. Thanks for the tip.

I made the decision to cancel Dish and go to cable. I may or may not regret it, but with the fingerpointing today between Dish and AT&T regarding the ignored request from last month, Dish's unwillingness to make an accommodation for our financial loss from the ignored request, and having to suffer '1-2 days' of service interruption while I can instead have cable installed and cancel Dish with no interruption forces me to make the decision to leave.

It stinks because I loved Dish since we got it as a bundle through AT&T in 2005.

Thank you guys here. I lurked lots. Is the cable board here as warm as you all are? There is a cable board here, isn't there?

Absolutely no sympathy here, TV Daddy. Go buy the kid some ice cream or something.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

ViP 222K problem

Complaints - Dish Remote Access (w/Sling) - Web page display

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)