Atmel's All-Format DVD System-on-Chip

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Atmel's All-Format DVD System-on-Chip is a Finalist for EDN Magazine's 16th Annual Innovation of the Year Award
SAN JOSE, California, February 7 /PRNewswire/ --

Atmel(R) Corporation (Nasdaq: ATML), a global leader in the development and fabrication of advanced semiconductor solutions, announced today that its AT78C4050 AFDVD(TM) (All-Format DVD) system-on-chip is a finalist in the ASSP and SoC category of EDN Magazine's Annual Innovation of the Year Award. Atmel's highly-integrated chip bridges the gap between the contending Blu-Ray and HD-DVD blue-laser-based optical disc formats by supporting both.

Atmel's AT78C4050 "All Format DVD" (AFDVD) system-on-chip is the first DVD front-end device that integrates PRML data channel, DVD ECC, CD CIRC C3, buffer management, DVD CD 1.7PP, EFM+, EFM Endec and ATAPI interface logic all on a single chip. The AT78C4050 is Atmel's high-integration, high-performance single-chip solution for DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-ROM, CD-R/RW and next-generation DVD products for both formats of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, in addition to being backward compatible with all existing red laser formats. It integrates all required components for a DVD and CD rewritable drive as well as DVD recorder.

The EDN Innovation Awards honor outstanding engineering professionals and products. The Innovation of the Year awards recognize unique, state-of-the-art electronics products in several categories. "Our engineering team in three global locations is proud to be a finalist in the ASSP and SoC category as this award carries special meaning since the winners are chosen by a jury of their peers," said Max Bathaee, Director of Marketing of the Network Storage Products at Atmel.

"The design complexity and design innovations of the AT78C4050 "AFDVD" will be presented at the upcoming ISSCC conference. The Conference is the foremost global forum for presentation of advances in solid-state circuits and Systems-on-a-Chip. Atmel will describe the chip in detail at the 11:15 am session on February 7th," concluded Max Bathaee.

The AT78C4050 for blue laser DVDs can implement speeds of up to 8x making it an ideal system-on-chip for use in the next generation of DVD products which use the blue-laser-based technology.

Footnote
AFDVD = All Format DVD
ASSP = (Application-Specific Standard Product)
SoC = System-on-Chip
PRML = Partial Response Maximum likelyhood
ECC = Error correction code
CD = Compact Disc
DVD = Digital Versatile Disc
CIRC = Cross Interleaved Reed-Solomon Code
1.7PP = 1.7 Parity preserve/Prohibit Repeated Minimum Transition Run
length
EFM+ = Eight to Fourteen Modulation Plus
EFM = Eight to Fourteen Modulation
ATAPI = Advanced Technology Attachment Packet Interface
DVD-ROM = Digital Versatile Disc Read-Only Memory
DVD-R/RW = Digital Versatile Disc Minus Recordable/Re-Writable
DVD+R/RW = Digital Versatile Disc Plus Recordable/Re-Writable
CD-ROM = Compact Disc Read-Only Memory
CD-R/RW = Compact Disc Recordable/Re-Writable
HD-DVD = High Definition Digital Versatile Disc​

About Atmel

Atmel is a worldwide leader in the design and manufacture of microcontrollers, advanced logic, mixed-signal, nonvolatile memory and radio frequency (RF) components. Leveraging one of the industry's broadest intellectual property (IP) technology portfolios, Atmel is able to provide the electronics industry with complete system solutions. Focused on consumer, industrial, security, communications, computing and automotive markets, Atmel ICs can be found Everywhere You Are(R).

NOTE: Atmel(R), logo and combinations thereof, Everywhere You Are(R) and others, are registered trademarks, AFDVD(TM) and others are trademarks of Atmel Corporation or its subsidiaries. Other terms and product names may be trademarks of others.

Information:

Atmel's Data Storage product information may be retrieved at http://www.atmel.com/products/DataS/ .

For further information on AT78C4050, go to http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/devices.asp?family_id=677 .

"All format?"

Then why doesn't it list DVD-RAM? Oversight? Anybody know?

I never thought much of DVD RAM - until I got a DVD recorder that uses it. Now I wish my other DVD players could play back those discs. It's certainly a feature I look for now. For timeshifting and reusing the disc, it can't be beat.

navychop said:
"All format?"

Then why doesn't it list DVD-RAM? Oversight? Anybody know?

I never thought much of DVD RAM - until I got a DVD recorder that uses it. Now I wish my other DVD players could play back those discs. It's certainly a feature I look for now. For timeshifting and reusing the disc, it can't be beat.

Agreed, RAM is great.:up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts