ATSC 3.0 $ 75.00 dongo SDR stick to hit the market this year...

N5XZS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Albuquerque, NM, USA
I stumbled on a website say this new brand dongle SDR stick that's go into regular ATSC 1.0 older TV set, is set to hit the market sometime this year for only $ 75! :clapping :hungry

We shall see what happens next.

Here's the link...

Enjoy reading!!:cool::hatsoff

I stumbled on a website say this new brand dongle SDR stick that's go into regular ATSC 1.0 older TV set, is set to hit the market sometime this year for only $ 75! :clapping :hungry

We shall see what happens next.

Here's the link...

Enjoy reading!!:cool::hatsoff

The company (ADTH) states that the DGI NextGen Solo dongle is compatible with Linux. It would be great if it can be used with the Edision satellite receivers, which are Linux based, like the Hauppauge 950 and 955 ATSC 1.0 tuners can. Obviously it would require the proper driver to be written but I'm sure that would not be a real issue. :)

There might be big improvement in TV receptions issue on different modulation format schemes ATSC 1.0 "8VSB" Vs ATSC 3.0 "COFDM"

Also better video codecs compression.

As for 2160p 120 FPs "4K", you may have to wait for awhile... :hungry :hatsoff

you are saying there isn't any difference between the 1.0 and nex gen version?
I was hoping there would be
Right now, there's very little difference. At most they are sending 1080p HEVC, with Ac-4 audio. The programming is the exact same shows on their .1 channels.

Until the lighthouse period ends, don't expect much better, though some stations may also use HDR, which makes more noticible difference.

Until the lighthouse period ends, don't expect much better, though some stations may also use HDR, which makes more noticible difference.
This is the key... all the channels in an area on ATSC 3.0 are all on the same transmitter, however within a few years they will move off onto their own transmitter which will open up a lot... lot more space so channels can do 4K and other things with their signal.

These are the early early days of ATSC 3.0.

I love that I can get all the major CT locals from one place, including the hard to get New Haven stations as they are now being broadcast just outside Hartford. Not to mention the CBS looks AMAZING in NextGen it appears to be uncompressed HD and is what HD should look like!

No 3.0 out here in NW Oregon and probably wont see any in years. We have translators and one LPTV station.
Heck, major market Philadelphia doesn't even have a projected date. It seems there's no great goldrush to go with ATSC 3 so now the self-interested broadcaster's group that has been pushing ATSC 3 all along wants the FCC to force broadcasters to adopt it. Yet another solution in search of a problem.

Here's an idea, how about we resolve all the problems created by the repack before jumping on the next bandwagon. I lost 16, 22, and 28 out of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre due to the repack and have never gotten them back. I also lost 56 out of Hazelton. Those are considered to be my home market stations, Hah! Thanks for nothing FCC but lets make sure we work hard to force yet another unnecessary change on the consumer! :rolleyes:

So far here in Albuquerque we have 2 ATSC 3.0 stations 1 non commercial PBS and 5 networks ABC, CBS, FOX, CW and MYTV.

Hubbard broadcast company not in the ATSC 3.0 bandwagon same goes for major Spanish networks and the rest are low power stations.

There are slight chances that KLUZ-DT or KTFQ-DT might convert to ATSC 3.0 sometimes in the future.

That's from top # 48th DMA TV market. :hatsoff

I haven't seen any HDR in my area yet, but that would be nice.

The problem is that although Sinclair is using HDR the type of HDR they are using can not be utilized by any of the current TVs. Here is the explanation.

Sinclair-owned broadcast stations are now encoding their content with SL-HDR1 (aka 'Technicolor HDR') metadata added. Sinclair claimsthat they've launched this with 36 stations, as of Jan 05, 2023. Based on a quick review of my local Sinclair-owned station here in Raleigh, NC, I can confirm that, at a very minimum, the metadata for SL-HDR1 on CW22 is indeed present.

The primary issue with the Technicolor HDR format though is that it was largely abandoned by most TV manufacturers a few years ago (for instance, LG dropped official firmware support in their 2021 models), presumably because Technicolor finalized SL-HDR1 in 2016 or so, and yet there had been no major deployments of it in the real broadcast world

It sounds like 3.0 still does not have everything perfected being the early days. It will be years until they look at 3.0 out here. I am sure knowing the cost, translators will be the last in line. Also once 1.0 goes away and we have only 3.0, what will be the cost to the viewers? Will OTA continue to be free? I wonder if any the sub channels will go behind a pay wall?

First, I think ATSC 3 / NEXGEN TV is no longer viewed as a sure thing. At least, not in the next five + years.

The rule is only the first / primary channel will be “free.” All the subs can be pay per view or similar subscription. Surely you did not think this move was to benefit the viewers. I suspect that “primary” channel will be local news and weather, and maybe little league scores.

I don't think 3.0 will ever come to Canada. As a matter of fact the broadcasters would prefer to do away with OTA altogether. Mentality is, no freebees, everyone should pay for TV just like cable or satellite.

Let’s see.

ATSC 3 has an essentially useless version of HDR. Seemingly to benefit one company, not the public.

It will soon add DRM, making all or nearly all current ATSC 3 tuners nearly obsolete (outside .1).

AntennaMan, AKA Mr. Excitement, strongly suggests everyone have a portable, preferably battery powered TV for extreme weather events. Why buy one IF ATSC 3 broadcasts will start kicking ATSC 1 stations off the air within very few years? $$$

There is no reasonably priced, good, ATSC 3 DVR, and some questions remain as to what “rights” such boxes might have.

The move to streaming may accelerate if the broadcasters implement pay OTA, annoying the public. The need to rescan AGAIN as and if ATSC 3 stations move to new frequencies (& locations that might require repointing) will be disruptive, to say the least. Managed badly, this transition may all but kill OTA. And I’m not sure “all but” needs to be in that sentence.

The move away from “large screen” TVs is already underway. ATSC 3 may accelerate the process.

Technology marches on, and something new may arise.

SO- just when did the first few ATSC 3 broadcasts start, so we can see when the first ATSC 1 stations may go dark?

Reactions: TheKrell