Audio Quality - XM Streaming

cds

Original poster
Dec 18, 2005
I am considering purchasing the Recast software (to record XM streaming) and noticed on the timetrax website that the audio quality may be a problem. I would appreciate if someone could tell me about their experience with this. Thanks.

cds said:
I am considering purchasing the Recast software (to record XM streaming) and noticed on the timetrax website that the audio quality may be a problem. I would appreciate if someone could tell me about their experience with this. Thanks.

I do not use the stream recording, but its my understanding, that to save bandwidth, the streams are not always a high bitrate of audio - this allows for the savings on bandwidth as well as helps people with low bandwidth connections to properly receive the stream to hear it. when recording it, you are only going to get as good a signal as is sent to you. So recording it at higher bitrates doesn't help.

I am sure a TT support member will follow up and give a response as well. I am sure they have some testing experience to go by.

-

thanks for the help. I purchased the software and am recording now. I am having a problem with my recording levels, and wont really know how this sounds until I get that straightened out.

cds said:
thanks for the help. I purchased the software and am recording now. I am having a problem with my recording levels, and wont really know how this sounds until I get that straightened out.

Yes, this has been a problem I had in the beginning. I am using the Auto Gain settings to automatically handle the levels. When using the hardware (sat receiver in home) many channels have different levels and I found the auto gain control to be the only way to end up with decent sounding mp3s. I sometimes run them thru mp3gain in order to make sure the entire level set is correct.

Double check sound card and other mixer settings too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts