Auto Mechanic turned Dish Installer!

MNTater

Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
Wow this site has tons of great information!
Well, on the 29th I start training with Dish Network. This is a new career move for me. I have been an ASE Master auto and light truck tech for over 10 years and really need a change. I have gone from a tech to a service manager in a shop that closed back to a tech working on commission in a slow shop. Time for a change!
The reasons I selected a satellite install position are simple.
1. I love to work outside.
2. I enjoy working with customers (the bad ones just make me laugh!)
3. Have always been interested in technology of all types.
4. I an open to new challenges.
5. 4 day weeks!
6. Company vehicle, fuel and tools.
7. Benefit package! I will no longer pay $900.00 per month for health ins.
8. Large rural territory.
9. Company paid training.
10. Steady paycheck. Only 12.75 to start but raises can happen now.

I am wondering what I am getting into.
1. Is the training any good?
2. Is it a good company to work for?
3. Are the current techs good to work with generally?
4. What is a work day really like?
5. Do you think someone with a strong mechanical backgroung will do well?

I have done some research on tips, tools and techniques of this job. It really does not look too bad compared to being an auto tech. Cleaner, drier, safer.
In the future, maybe I would like to be a local self employed installer working for some of the local retailers. A possible idea after I learn the tricks of the trade. **Just maybe**

Please share you stories and insight on this new career move I am very interested in hearing from you. I am actually pretty exited about this. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Well, on the 29th I start training with Dish Network. This is a new career move for me. I have been an ASE Master auto and light truck tech for over 10 years and really need a change. I have gone from a tech to a service manager in a shop that closed back to a tech working on commission in a slow shop. Time for a change!
5. 4 day weeks!

I have done some research on tips, tools and techniques of this job. It really does not look too bad compared to being an auto tech. Cleaner, drier, safer.
In the future, maybe I would like to be a local self employed installer working for some of the local retailers. A possible idea after I learn the tricks of the trade. **Just maybe**

Please share you stories and insight on this new career move I am very interested in hearing from you. I am actually pretty exited about this. I'm sure I'll have more questions.
Hopefully you have some aptitude for the job....Knowledge of residential construction is a must..Make a point to learn how a house is put together....
Working directly for Dish is can have it's ups and downs...Each DNS office is different.....most customers are pretty cool...without delaying your work, greet the customer and try to establish a repore with them..Make them feel comfortable with your presence in their home..Assure the cust that you wouldn't do anything to their home that you would not do to your own.....good luck!

Good Luck!!!......I work as an independant Retailer but I love installing Dishes....Guess its all in what you like.

big tip - use SVIDEO or COMPOSITE or COMPONENT video hookups from the receiver to a tv (whichever is applicable for the situation) ;)

I can't tell you how many neighbors and friends I have that their installer (usually DIRECTV) hooks up the receiver to the tv with the stupid tv3 modulator. I usually get the right cables and hook it up correctly for them for better PQ.

I am a part time "independant installer" myself for close to 20 years and I too enjoy it even with pain customers. My Son was "brought up" tagging along with me on some installs. Recently he took a job in north Georgia installing for Dish Network after a tour in Iraq. He had a tough time finding a decent paying job with only "soldier experience" but Dish hired him right away since he had experience working with me. Now he is having FUN TOO.

GOOD LUCK

BryanSR

As a former auto mechanic you should be a good fit as a Dish Network Service Technician. For example, keep replacing parts willy nilly until you replace a part that now makes the reciever work(at least that is until your well out of the customers driveway and down the road), make service appointments weeks out in advance and then don't show or don't have the correct part, advise the customer having the problem that "they all do that."
Just kidding..... Really..... Good luck to you and hope this career is more rewarded to you personally than the last one.

bryansr (my dad) was right, i work for Dish now and so far so good. the hours can be horrid but thats everywhere. benefits are good. training was good and i picked up a few things that didn't know when i worked with him. enjoy the job.

P.S. you don't get to take the vans home at night, in my office at least.

5. 4 day weeks!

For long run, this is a job that you will feel sorry about, it will never pay enough as an auto tech, and this job has the fast turn around, always looking or trainning for installers. 3 or 4 days a week schedule seem good but prepare those 100 plus degree in the attic at summer time and mouth mask, lots attic are very unhealthy dust. You will never get what you get in 10 years as auto tech when work with Dish. I never see company charging $900 on health insurance, not even at my age of 60. The main thing is, this is a falling business. Peoples has more choice in the entertainment and they has more other choice beside satellite.

Hey sounds like my business, since I went from selling tires and running an auto repair shop to selling Just Dish.

I wish you the best of luck, but being and installer is very demanding work.

Forgetting the money part, I would much rather have the work come to me then have to drive around all day long to go to the work.

The only plus I can really see changing Jobs is that you won't come home from work with greese covered hands and look like a dirt monkey.

When I started doing Dish the kitchen sink was alot cleaner, and my mom didn't have to keep a big bottle of orange pumice hand cleaner next to the sink anymore!

When I started doing Dish the kitchen sink was alot cleaner, and my mom didn't have to keep a big bottle of orange pumice hand cleaner next to the sink anymore!

i hear that... i still keep the bottle under the sink though, just in case :)

The job is just like most other jobs. It has it's ups and downs... when its minus zero degrees outside, or +100.... you may start to wonder why you ever started the job. But those perfect spring and fall days when its gorgeous outside make up for it.

The biggest word of advice I have is:
Hang around here on this site as much as possible, and ask any questions you may have. There is plenty of us on here that can pretty much troubleshoot most problems you may be having on a job, or give tips on how to do some of the more "advanced" tricks that installers do.

i hear that... i still keep the bottle under the sink though, just in case :)

The job is just like most other jobs. It has it's ups and downs... when its minus zero degrees outside, or +100.... you may start to wonder why you ever started the job. But those perfect spring and fall days when its gorgeous outside make up for it.

The biggest word of advice I have is:
Hang around here on this site as much as possible, and ask any questions you may have. There is plenty of us on here that can pretty much troubleshoot most problems you may be having on a job, or give tips on how to do some of the more "advanced" tricks that installers do.
My Dad always had a can of GOJO handy.....His hand cleaner of choice..

You'll learn alot more by keeping an eye on this site and asking questions..We were all there once...not to speak for others but there are those of us who get a certain amount of enjoyment passing on our knowledge..I am one of those people....Feel free to ask..Good luck!

If its directly working for dish and your in MN then those offices are run by decent management as opposed to other offices in say Michigan. The benefits are just a bit of average but well worth it, there are many other benefits including out of state work trips that you can go on to help sister offices. The downfalls to working for dish is the workload and depending on how experienced and wether or not the management at your location give a damn ( definitely not in michigan ) you may have a manageable work load or find yourself trying to do 30 hours worth of work in a day.

Stay away from the politics like its the plague specialy if union talk comes up ( man this company really needs to have a union ). Your worst enemyis your customer, if they dont like you they will find the smallest thing to complain about to the head office and the head office will call your field service manager about it and you'll get suspended for a week ( no joke ). Always keep your customer at arms length and never ever get into any kind of discussion with them unless its on how to use the new gear with they're existing system. Never give any kind of details about your personal life, never bad mouth the previous installer who installed/serviced they're system, again the customer is very quick to call and repeat what you say to the main office and most likely will expand on what you say.

If its directly working for dish and your in MN then those offices are run by decent management as opposed to other offices in say Michigan. The benefits are just a bit of average but well worth it, there are many other benefits including out of state work trips that you can go on to help sister offices. The downfalls to working for dish is the workload and depending on how experienced and wether or not the management at your location give a damn ( definitely not in michigan ) you may have a manageable work load or find yourself trying to do 30 hours worth of work in a day.

Stay away from the politics like its the plague specialy if union talk comes up ( man this company really needs to have a union ). Your worst enemyis your customer, if they dont like you they will find the smallest thing to complain about to the head office and the head office will call your field service manager about it and you'll get suspended for a week ( no joke ). Always keep your customer at arms length and never ever get into any kind of discussion with them unless its on how to use the new gear with they're existing system. Never give any kind of details about your personal life, never bad mouth the previous installer who installed/serviced they're system, again the customer is very quick to call and repeat what you say to the main office and most likely will expand on what you say.
Those are good words..Except that I think you're being a bit harsh by saying the customer is your enemy..I think a happy cust who is comfortable with my presence in their home is far easier to work with than a suspicious nudgy hovering worry wort....It cust both ways, I know ..But I can't make it thorugh the day treating people as though they were out to get me..Of course in your case working as a DNS employee if a customer had to push too hard to take their next dump they will blame the tech..They will call Dish to complain and of course the embelishments rival those of the "Joe Isuzu" character in the commercials..
The favorite customer buzz word seems to be "rude"..As in the the tech was "rude"...This is a customer who didn't get their job done because they either were not home or had no line of sight or other legit reason..The customer that bitches about the tech is mad because the tech told them something the customer didn't want to hear..So, we are "rude"..I know if a customer complains about a DNS tech, Dish doesn't believe in due process. They always take the customer's side of the issue and the tech is left hanging form the ball tree...that's bull sh*t..For that reason alone, I would NEVER work for DNSC..I don't like unions..But if there ever was a group of workers that needed representation, it's DNSC techs...

Great responses! I like what I hear so far. This new change in my life is no set in stone. I was asked to leave my job a week early due to lack of work. Now I have a little time off to finish up a few project I have been putting off. New flooring in my house!

Oh yeah, it is dish in MN. Upon first impression everyone seemed very nice. In fact it was one of the few job interviews that I actually enjoyed. Well I'm a little nervous about this. With the background I have had and of course, I do know a few things about home construction. In fact a few years ago I installed my own dish and installed for a few neighbors and they all still work!

WOW my hands are already much cleaner. I know I will still work on vehicles. Not as a job but as a hobby. I'm considering doing a restore on a 77 Camaro starting this summer. Now I just may enjoy it. In the past the last thing I wanted to do was work on a vehicle in my spare time. Or maybe I'll just spend some quality time with my Harley!

Great responses! I like what I hear so far. This new change in my life is no set in stone. I was asked to leave my job a week early due to lack of work. Now I have a little time off to finish up a few project I have been putting off. New flooring in my house!

Oh yeah, it is dish in MN. Upon first impression everyone seemed very nice. In fact it was one of the few job interviews that I actually enjoyed. Well I'm a little nervous about this. With the background I have had and of course, I do know a few things about home construction. In fact a few years ago I installed my own dish and installed for a few neighbors and they all still work!

WOW my hands are already much cleaner. I know I will still work on vehicles. Not as a job but as a hobby. I'm considering doing a restore on a 77 Camaro starting this summer. Now I just may enjoy it. In the past the last thing I wanted to do was work on a vehicle in my spare time. Or maybe I'll just spend some quality time with my Harley!
Remember, you can always do some auto work on the side to augment your income..And make some F-YOU money....
Just take your training in stride....Remember to consult the manual. And don't be afraid to ask questions here..You'll get good advice....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)