Awful reviews for the RR free CA security suite

jcarrera

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Florida
cfl.rr.com offers the CA security suite free for its customers. I was thinking about signing up for it, so did some web research on reviews of security suite products. The first one I looked at was this:

CA Internet Security Suite 2007 Ratings. Internet security and firewall User Opinions.

Wow! Out of 34 reviews only about two had anything positive to say. Most were strongly negative (to say the least) . I've never seen anything with so many extreme comments...

"Poor. Nothing but problems with firewall."
"Stay Away - Total Nightmare"
"Disaster!!!!"
"Very very disappointing"
"Some Problems"
"terrible terrible worse than terrible a disaster"
"more frustrating than the others"
"Worse than any virus I've ever had"
"Not impressed"
"Terrible support"
above are just the first of four pages of reviews.

Can't roadrunner provide anything better than this?!

People who complain about a product far outnumber those who come on to specifically praise it. You can tell that by this website alone. The number of people bitching about something far outweighs the number of people complimenting things.

So be careful when your looking for reviews on the web. Try to find them from business's whos job it is to review then cross reference them.

Heres one

Security Suite Smackdown, Part I - CA Internet Security Suite 2007 - Reviews by PC Magazine

PC mag says its "good" the viewers disagree, people who enjoy the software dont go around sites to say how much they like it. But people who hate something truly will. A lot will go out of their way to do it.

But the product is offered free for you from RR, their are a dozen better programs out there that are free anyway. Like AVG is by far the best anti-virus I have ever used and its free. And I like Conceal PC firewall its rather cheap (of course the router firewall works fine enough for home pc use) Id much rather RR offer AVG to its customers but I guess then people would complain about them giving Free software for Free.. Go figure.

Your point is well taken about complainers outnumbering praisers--I'm a perfect example of that.

However, I am always suspicious of "editor" reviews because of conflict of interest (not wanting to PO an advertiser or potential advertiser). And I am doubly suspicious when the user reviews are SO far different from the "professional" review.

The fact remains that the three sites I saw that rated suites had CA last in two and next to last in the third one. Some other sites rated 3, 4, 5 suites and didn't even include CA. Couple that with the user reviews and I think the picture is pretty clear.

And, speaking of the user reviews, if you look at the user comments on the other suites, there are indeed more who cite problems than good remarks, BUT the other suites DO HAVE a smattering of good comments vs. almost none for the CA product.

Yes, there are free products, and I use the AVG you mentioned and ZA, but an integrated product with spam fighting etc. has appeal vs maintaining and updating multiple individual ones--but only if it works well, is easy to use, and without grief (problems).

Awful reviews for the RR free CA security

Hey There,
It depends on where you look for reviews on the product. Each reviewer has their own way of rating so, decide what you are looking for in a product and look for sites that can give you just that information. Just googling up the product may not help always. So back to my original question. Which are the sites you looked at. I use the product and naturally went through tons of reviews before I installed it.

Bottom Line:
CA Internet Security Suite 2007 includes simple, effective AV and nicely implemented whitelist-based antispam. The spyware scan is fast, and real-time protection is great. Antivirus is certified by independent labs & works smoothly. Whitelist antispam enhanced by "spam score" for unknowns. Super-fast antispyware good at malware removal. The new firewall is a charm and is not too heavy on the system.

Cheers
JB
:up

testing post access...

ACP test NOT starting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)