AZBox Elite HD - What to do with a Shiny New Toy

I also have Wild Blue internet. I have loaded all my firmware via this direct to AZBox connection and have not experienced any problems.

I am just as leery as you are about losing a connection in the middle of the downloading process, but I rarely lose my internet connection. For me, it is mostly just slow.

There is a method to download direct from PC via crossover Ethernet cable, but I have not attempted this myself. I generally use the direct from internet or USB. There was one firmware that wasn't published on the URL as it was a beta version, I used the USB for that.

RADAR

I also have Wild Blue internet. I have loaded all my firmware via this direct to AZBox connection and have not experienced any problems.

I am just as leery as you are about losing a connection in the middle of the downloading process, but I rarely lose my internet connection. For me, it is mostly just slow.

There is a method to download direct from PC via crossover Ethernet cable, but I have not attempted this myself. I generally use the direct from internet or USB. There was one firmware that wasn't published on the URL as it was a beta version, I used the USB for that.

RADAR

Re WildBlue, I think half my problem is the darn Netgear router I have connected to it. It seems to periodically lose contact with the modem, particularly during storms, and once it does, it can't seem to re-establish communication through it, and I have power cycle either the modem or router or both. Anytime I get rain coming in from the southwest, I generally tend to lose internet. Sometimes I lose it when it's just foggy. Still a lot better than the dialup. I've kept my old dialup service just for when it rains. I've heard that WildBlue now offers a dialup option, but they didn't when I subscribed.

Re firmware installation from PC, OK, yeah, I see that now. I still like the thumbdrive method though. :)

Re WildBlue, I think half my problem is the darn Netgear router I have connected to it. It seems to periodically lose contact with the modem, particularly during storms, and once it does, it can't seem to re-establish communication through it, and I have power cycle either the modem or router or both. Anytime I get rain coming in from the southwest, I generally tend to lose internet. Sometimes I lose it when it's just foggy. Still a lot better than the dialup. I've kept my old dialup service just for when it rains. I've heard that WildBlue now offers a dialup option, but they didn't when I subscribed.

Re firmware installation from PC, OK, yeah, I see that now. I still like the thumbdrive method though. :)

B.J.

If you are losing lock on WB even when it is merely foggy, I would say that your dish is not aligned to peak signal. I used my SuperBuddy meter from Applied Instruments and set the dish myself. I spent some extra time and care getting it maxed out.

I use a Linksys WRT54G connected to my WB modem. If I lose lock and it comes back later, after a storm passes, it automatically reconnects. Takes a few minutes, but it eventually does.

I also think that the USB drive is the best and safest method to load the AZBox firmware. Better to play it safe and avoid any headaches. This is also the procedure (using the USB drive) that is recommended for emergency recovery if the AZBox locks up. Kinda like having a boot disk available when all else fails.

RADAR

B.J.

If you are losing lock on WB even when it is merely foggy, I would say that your dish is not aligned to peak signal. ...
While that's possibly part of it, I don't think it's the major issue. First, there is fog, and then there is FOG. We get some pretty nasty FOG here. :) It's real variable. Often the WB continues to work in a driving rainstorm, but will go out during a heavy fog. And 99% of the time it's not so much that we're losing lock either which really has me confused. It's sort of like the thing will work fine, then a rain-storm comes in from the south-west, and we'll lose it. I'll go up and check, and the modem will say we have a lock, but we can't ping anywhere. I'll blame the router, and connect directly to one of my computers, but I still can't get out. If I power cycle the modem, I'll get reception back, but only for about 10-15 minutes, and it will go out again, even if the rain storm has passed by here.... modem still says lock. I usually don't get it back to normal for hours after the storm has passed, even if the sun is shining.
I really think the issue is more related to overloading of the Wild Blue downlink site when a storm comes through. What I'm *guessing* is that when rain comes through an area, it will disturb the reception of lots of users at the same time, and you get thousands of modems trying to reconnect or request resending lost packets, etc, meaning that there will be a much heavier load on the system when rain comes through the area. Actually, if I do a ping, I get time outs, but if I put a very long delay on the pings, they often come back after long delays, like 5-10 seconds, instead of the normal 1 second, so this shows that I'm getting out, but it's just taking a long time for WB to get the responses back to me. Two other issues are the proxy and name server. I went for a year without using the WB proxy, but eventually was forced to use it because several of the internet sites I use have apparently blacklisted some WB IP# groups. Re the nameserver, sometimes I see different response to my pings depending on if I'm using the name or the IP#. I'm guessing that how this affects any particular area depends upon which downlink center you're using, as some are more maxed out than others. I've read that some people get better performance if they switch nameservers or proxies. Just a guess on my part though, but it is pretty clear that it's not just a situation of me losing lock with the satellite.

I use a Linksys WRT54G connected to my WB modem. If I lose lock and it comes back later, after a storm passes, it automatically reconnects. Takes a few minutes, but it eventually does.
Yeah, if I wait long enough, the comes back to life too, but it might take HOURS, probably until the netgear reboots on it's own, which happens ever few hours. Until then, both the router and modem seem to think that everything is working, they can talk to each other fine, but I just can't get out through the sat for some reason. I bought a Lynksys modem to replace the netgear a while back, but I've been too busy to do the switch. We have a major roof job coming up (everything down to the 4' on center rafter beams is going), which will mean we'll have open sky up above where the modem/router is installed, possibly for a couple days.... we're just hoping that it doesn't rain/snow or more than just the WB will get messed up. :eek:
I also think that the USB drive is the best and safest method to load the AZBox firmware. Better to play it safe and avoid any headaches. This is also the procedure (using the USB drive) that is recommended for emergency recovery if the AZBox locks up. ...
I was about to say this, but having never used the ethernet method, I wasn't sure if it would work for emergency recovery or not. I know that with my Coolsats, the default emergency recovery is via the RS232 serial, and even though you can use USB for routine firmware changes, you need RS232 for emergency recovery. I thought that it could be that the Azbox uses the USB as the default emergency recovery method, and that ethernet/internet might not work in those cases. I always think it's best to learn the emergency recovery method, whatever that is, because eventually you're going to need it.

Thanks Billion. You two guys will love the azbox. Its a little quirky and it takes a little getting used to but its the best all around box I have used since I've done this. It really can do more than my feeble mind can wrap around. :cool:

Got the AzBox Premium HD on the way will be testing soon :music:

This may seem like a lot of steps, it's is, but well worth it. At least I do.

Editor:
2. Download the Editor: azboxworld.com/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=6063

This link is broken. What is the actual file name of this editor?

I found "0.9.2880a AZBoxEdit" at the same site in the tools section but this editor doesn't work with XML files.

I found "0.9.2880a AZBoxEdit"
That is the most current Editor.
The Editor does not "open" XML files, it imports them.

Much of this info is dated, many "issues" have been fixed.
Updating the Firm will now give you almost a complete North American Sat list, unlike early Firmwares.

This is from memory.......
You first go to the XML Generator site and Pick the Sats you want, and is saves a file.
You can not re-name that file - "Satellite.xml" I believe
Then in the 2880 Editor, click the XML Button, and select the file you created.

That is the most current Editor.
The Editor does not "open" XML files, it imports them.

Much of this info is dated, many "issues" have been fixed.
Updating the Firm will now give you almost a complete North American Sat list, unlike early Firmwares.

My AZBox Premium arrived last night. I did download the latest firmware, but found that the transponder list frequencies are incorrect. I scanned AMC 1, but RFD TV was missing. 3915 MHz was not in the transponder list. Most of the transponders that were listed are incorrect. I tried to manually add the 3915 transponder from the remote control, but was unable to save it.

I need to delete the European satellites and get accurate transponder data for the American satellites.

Do you know if there is a user guide for this editor?

Last edited:
Do you know if there is a user guide for this editor?
None that I know of.
Do as much as you can in the AZ with the Remote, and only use the Editor to polish.
The Editor does not work the best, and can jazz everything up before you realize.

TP lists are never up to date, but it should be close.

If you deleted Sat using the Editor, thats probably why the TPs are not correct.

When entering TP you must "Exit" the sub Menu(not press "ok"), then find the newly entered TP, they are listed numerically.

None that I know of.
Do as much as you can in the AZ with the Remote, and only use the Editor to polish.
The Editor does not work the best, and can jazz everything up before you realize.

TP lists are never up to date, but it should be close.

If you deleted Sat using the Editor, thats probably why the TPs are not correct.

When entering TP you must "Exit" the sub Menu(not press "ok"), then find the newly entered TP, they are listed numerically.

I did a factory reset. The transponders were still bad. There were two transponders for 3910 - 3910H and 3910V. I used the editor to change one to 3906H and the other to 3915H. I rescanned and picked up RFDTV.

The 4040 and 4080 transponders are not there either. I will play some more tonight. I'm still on a learning curve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)