AZBox HD Premium HDD

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I don't understand why anyone would go to the trouble of using a program to read Linux formatted disks, when all you need to do is connect via the ethernet port, via FTP or Telnet, and transfer whatever files you want over the LAN. Done this way, there should be no need for any translation.
That being said, since I have an elete, with no internal disk, I'll be using FAT32 anyway, that is if they ever enable it for high bitrates.

@ the Highlighted: Anyone tried it and if so how fast was the transfer rate?

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but I don't understand why anyone would go to the trouble of using a program to read Linux formatted disks, when all you need to do is connect via the ethernet port, via FTP or Telnet, and transfer whatever files you want over the LAN. Done this way, there should be no need for any translation.
That being said, since I have an elete, with no internal disk, I'll be using FAT32 anyway, that is if they ever enable it for high bitrates.

B.J.

I may be missing something here as well. I am still in the learning mode with this AZBox and the Linux OS.

I have found how to record and transfer files between the internal and the external HDD, but when I connect the external HDD drive to my PC, the PC (being a Windows XP OS) will not recognize the content on the drive. It detects that the drive is present, but that is all.

From this I also imagine that connecting the Ethernet cable between my PC and the AZBox would not improve this situation as the two OS's are not shaking hands. So, no matter how I connect them, I don't think that they will communicate without some translator.

I have downloaded the trial version of the UFS Explorer and now it recognizes the files stored on my external USB drive, but will not process or open them because the trial version does not allow files over 64 MB in size. This is what Smith, P. has mentioned to be a pitfall of the trial version.

I have purchased the full registered version of UFS Explorer, but have ran into a snag loading it. The registration code for activation of the program is not valid. I have written a note to the company to ask them what to do, and I am waiting for their response.

RADAR

B.J.

I may be missing something here as well. I am still in the learning mode with this AZBox and the Linux OS.

I have found how to record and transfer files between the internal and the external HDD, but when I connect the external HDD drive to my PC, the PC (being a Windows XP OS) will not recognize the content on the drive. It detects that the drive is present, but that is all.

From this I also imagine that connecting the Ethernet cable between my PC and the AZBox would not improve this situation as the two OS's are not shaking hands. So, no matter how I connect them, I don't think that they will communicate without some translator.

I have downloaded the trial version of the UFS Explorer and now it recognizes the files stored on my external USB drive, but will not process or open them because the trial version does not allow files over 64 MB in size. This is what Smith, P. has mentioned to be a pitfall of the trial version.

I have purchased the full registered version of UFS Explorer, but have ran into a snag loading it. The registration code for activation of the program is not valid. I have written a note to the company to ask them what to do, and I am waiting for their response.

RADAR

If you connect patch cable beteen AZ and PC, make sure cable is crossover.
Also, make sure IP adresses of PC and Box are on the same subnet.
Test this fro PC using ping command < ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx > where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is IP address of AZ box.
Hope this helps

@ the Highlighted: Anyone tried it and if so how fast was the transfer rate?

On WIFI I got 2.2MB/s usig FTP

I have my receiver hard-wired to my router and using Wild Blue as my internet provider via satellite. When I run the Speed Check in the menu it shows me 232.559 K bps. I get different results every time I run this speed check, so I believe this is just a "ping-o-meter".

This is a slow connection and I could upgrade it, if I desired. However, I think that it is sufficient for my use. The next price category to upgrade my Wild Blue is $79.95 and I don't find it to be a neccessity for me.

RADAR

If you connect patch cable beteen AZ and PC, make sure cable is crossover.
Also, make sure IP adresses of PC and Box are on the same subnet.
Test this fro PC using ping command < ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx > where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is IP address of AZ box.
Hope this helps

Yurek99,

Thanks for the information. I knew I needed a crossover Ethernet cable, but haven't made one up yet. All the Ethernet cables I have lying about are straight-through. Thanks for the note on the IP Address to ping the receiver.

RADAR

I have my receiver hard-wired to my router and using Wild Blue as my internet provider via satellite. When I run the Speed Check in the menu it shows me 232.559 K bps. I get different results every time I run this speed check, so I believe this is just a "ping-o-meter".

This is a slow connection and I could upgrade it, if I desired. However, I think that it is sufficient for my use. The next price category to upgrade my Wild Blue is $79.95 and I don't find it to be a neccessity for me.

RADAR
Currently I'm running on WIFI, and transfering 4.5 GB file took around 1/2 h.
When I was wired (100Mbps) I was able to play .avi up 720 p from my NAS. Above this, it got some freezes.

Last edited:

You surmise incorrectly. If you get networking up between your PC and the AZbox, the filesystems in use on either side will be irrelevant. The AZbox will be able to read Windows shared drives, and Windows will be able to see the AZbox's drive as a shared drive (I'm assuming that it has an SMB server as well as a client). Linux has had this functionality for a long, long time. Similarly, if you use ftp to transfer files, the individual systems deal with the filesystems on their own end, and transfer data via a common protocol. (Windows has had ftp for a long time also.)

I'm puzzled as to why you need a crossover cable to connect the AZbox and the PC. If you have a router, does it only have one ethernet port? If so, just buy the cheapest hub or switch you can find and leave everything connected all the time.

You surmise incorrectly. If you get networking up between your PC and the AZbox, the filesystems in use on either side will be irrelevant. The AZbox will be able to read Windows shared drives, and Windows will be able to see the AZbox's drive as a shared drive (I'm assuming that it has an SMB server as well as a client). Linux has had this functionality for a long, long time. Similarly, if you use ftp to transfer files, the individual systems deal with the filesystems on their own end, and transfer data via a common protocol. (Windows has had ftp for a long time also.)

I'm puzzled as to why you need a crossover cable to connect the AZbox and the PC. If you have a router, does it only have one ethernet port? If so, just buy the cheapest hub or switch you can find and leave everything connected all the time.

Jim,

I think that I require more knowledge concerning networking all my devices. This is my downfall. If you are correct that a proper network connection between my PC and the AZBox will allow the files to be read in both directions (regardless of the OS), then I will certainly be a very happy camper.

As for the Ethernet connection, I was informed that a crossover cable was required if you hardwired the PC to the AZBox. If I can do this by running another cable to my router from my PC, then that would resolve that dilemna. If that is true, then I should be able to use the wireless networking of the PC, the AZBox and the router as well. The only problem I have with this is I have a difficult time with the encryption system and to be honest, it scares me just a little. I found it rather a challenge to set up initially and therefore I am apprehensive about how the AZBox will function with it. So, for my intiial experience, I went with a hardwired connection from the AZBox to the router.

With folks like you feeding me advice and information, I might eventually be able to understand the networking challenge and make it all work. At this moment, I am simply a bit blind, uninformed, apprehensive and a tad bit scared! :eek:

I am sure that I can develop my skills so that I understand what I am doing, eventually, but it will probably take some time and effort on my part and a lot of assistance from friends like you! For your assistance and help, I thank you!

RADAR

Hi Radar,
Jim is right, if you have both (PC and AZ) connected to router... you should be out of woods.
Both system should be able to see each other. I had some problem sharing on W7, but few tricks, and AZ is seeing shares on PC and PC is seeing AZ as well.
Telnet is enabled by default on AZ, but FTP and SMB you have to enable in settings.
Are you able to ping AZ from PC?

Hi Radar,
Jim is right, if you have both (PC and AZ) connected to router... you should be out of woods.
Both system should be able to see each other. I had some problem sharing on W7, but few tricks, and AZ is seeing shares on PC and PC is seeing AZ as well.
Telnet is enabled by default on AZ, but FTP and SMB you have to enable in settings.
Are you able to ping AZ from PC?

Hey Yurek,

No, I am not able to ping the Box from my PC. I detect that the connection is good, but receive the message: "A Firewall Client Running on Your Machine is Blocking the FTP Usage".

RADAR

few more questions:
1. Are you able to ping anything from your PC? (ping www.cisco.com)
2. What OS you are using?
3. Are you able to get to internet from AZ ?

I can go to Cisco Systems, Inc through its site address. I have a "Ping-o-meter" from obese armadillo, but it fails to ping any site. That may be a problem with that program alone.

I have an ACER Aspire laptop PC with Windows XP SP2 OS installed and AVG antivirus protection.

The AZBox can go to YouTube, WWW, the AZBox home site for upgrading images and the GoGo List (sometimes). The GoGo List seems to be a little flaky, but when it connects, it works fine. Using the WWW takes some effort as I am only using the remote to type in the URLs and search names. That takes some time and is a pain. I can also access the time update web site (time.mit.edu).

In the Network Service settings, I have all options set to ENABLED.

RADAR

When I go to the FTP menu, I am unsure of what to enter for host, port, ID and PW. I have not found the information that I need for this yet.

RADAR

1. Get yourself filezilla from FileZilla - The free FTP solution and install on PC.
2. Connect to AZbox ( User=root, pass=azbox port=21) you should see all folders if you go up one step
3. Using this pogram you can transfer any file to AZ box and vice-versa.

Most probably you want to go to /DATA/hdb1/movie on AZBox
If Network Service on AzBox in enable, you should see in your network (PC) machine called MMP, try to expand it....

When I go to the FTP menu, I am unsure of what to enter for host, port, ID and PW. I have not found the information that I need for this yet.
I would first set-up the AZBox to used a Static IP number.
Use your PC to give you a few clues, find your PC's info by going to the Control Panels
Select Network Connections
Find your Network Adapter
Right Click and select Status
IP Address:
Subnet Mask:
Default Gateway:

Then go into your AZBox,
Settings
Internet
Select "Static IP"
Enter the Subnet and Gateway from your PC
for IP address, add 1 to the 4th set of numbers
Example:
PC = 192.168.1.25
AZBox IP = 192.168.1.26
For DNS1 and DNS2, re-enter the Gateway Number
go down to "Setup" and select.

Have you re-set the AZBox FTP password?
If not, using your PC, click:
Start
Run
enter "cmd" (without the quotes)
enter:
telnet IP Address of AZBox
example:
telnet 192.168.1.26

then enter the default name and password
AZBox Login: root
Password: azbox

at the AZBox [] prompt, enter
passwd

enter "new" password, just use the default
azbox

then type
exit

Now, in your FTP Program on the PC
I am unsure of what to enter for host, port, ID and PW.
Host: IP Address of AZBox
Port:21
ID: root

You should now have access to the AZBox via FTP

I would first set-up the AZBox to used a Static IP number.
Use your PC to give you a few clues, find your PC's info by going to the Control Panels
Select Network Connections
Find your Network Adapter
Right Click and select Status
IP Address:
Subnet Mask:
Default Gateway:

Then go into your AZBox,
Settings
Internet
Select "Static IP"
Enter the Subnet and Gateway from your PC
for IP address, add 1 to the 4th set of numbers
Example:
PC = 192.168.1.25
AZBox IP = 192.168.1.26
For DNS1 and DNS2, re-enter the Gateway Number
go down to "Setup" and select.

Start
Run
enter:
example:
telnet 192.168.1.26

passwd

azbox

then type
exit

Excellent, detailed instructions Lak! Thank you so very much for your help! I certainly appreciate it and if I can ever return the favor, I will! You are a great help and a great member / asset to this site! Please keep it up and many thanks once again!

RADAR

Radar, you can post your internal ip address(es) if you like, as long as they start with 192.168 they are "private" addresses that anyone can use internally. So nobody will be able to hack you because you post them. You could also just post the last set of digits for each device, since that is all that is really interesting. Just don't post the outside public ip address that you get from something like whatismyip etc.

Assuming your router is a typical consumer model you probably are using the 192.168.1.0 (or 192.168.2.x or 192.168.100.x etc) subnet. Your router should be 192.168.1.1 and your clients (computer, azbox, whatever) might start at 192.168.1.100 or maybe just 192.168.1.2.

If your clients start at 192.168.1.100 (your pc's last digits being .100 or .101 etc) I would suggest picking a static ip address below 100 since there is no chance the router will try to hand out that address since the router starts at 100 and goes UP. If your clients are getting low addresses like .2 or .10 etc then you could pick a high number your router wouldn't ever reach like .60 or something.

So you could end up with something like this:
192.168.1.1 router
192.168.1.30 azbox
192.168.1.100 1st client (via the "DHCP" dynamic numbering)
192.168.1.101 2nd client
etc..

I just picked .30 arbitrarily. You could go with 42 if you like Douglas Adams or whatever means something to you and you can remember it. ;)

Or you can let the router hand them out and just check the screen on the Azbox to see what the address is. I'm with Lak7 though, you should just assign a static ip to the Azbox so you *always* know where it is at on your network and you don't have to fiddle.

If you don't want to post ip details, feel free to PM me if you have troubles and I'll help you out as well if you have trouble. Lak7's instructions should do it, I just wanted to point out it is best to pick a static ip that isn't within the range the router would hand out.

Start
Run
enter:
example:
telnet 192.168.1.26

I had a stumbling moment here. The actual word telnet has to be typed in. In front of the IP address of the AZBox. i.e. " telnet 192.168.xxx.xxx "

passwd

azbox

This gave me a little trouble as well as the instructions stated to use 6 - 8 characters, (upper and lower case and numeric digits). I am not sure if it was truly neccessary, but I made up my own password that followed the outlines that were requested during the password change. So I utilized some upper and lower case letters and one numeric digit. This was accepted.

then type
exit

(I think you meant on the AZBox FTP menu?)

This was a little quirky. You have to remember that you need the decimal points in between the IP digits. This means that you have to click on the CAPS/NUM key on the remote to be able to access the lower case alphabetical characters and the decimal point (found on the 1.QZ button). I wasn't quite certain if the decimal points were necessary at first, but evidentally they are. So I had to experiment to determine how to enter the decimal points. Not a big deal, but it could be a little confusing at first.

Password: azbox (or the password that you set yourself if different from this)

I believe that I made it through this process properly (I hope). At least it appears that it is set up. Other than my minor setbacks on the issues that I highlighted above, I got through it to the end. It did not take too long and I am hoping that I got everything right. I think so.

RADAR

Last edited:
Radar, you can post your internal ip address(es) if you like, as long as they start with 192.168 they are "private" addresses that anyone can use internally. So nobody will be able to hack you because you post them. You could also just post the last set of digits for each device, since that is all that is really interesting. Just don't post the outside public ip address that you get from something like whatismyip etc.

Assuming your router is a typical consumer model you probably are using the 192.168.1.0 (or 192.168.2.x or 192.168.100.x etc) subnet. Your router should be 192.168.1.1 and your clients (computer, azbox, whatever) might start at 192.168.1.100 or maybe just 192.168.1.2.

If your clients start at 192.168.1.100 (your pc's last digits being .100 or .101 etc) I would suggest picking a static ip address below 100 since there is no chance the router will try to hand out that address since the router starts at 100 and goes UP. If your clients are getting low addresses like .2 or .10 etc then you could pick a high number your router wouldn't ever reach like .60 or something.

So you could end up with something like this:
192.168.1.1 router
192.168.1.30 azbox
192.168.1.100 1st client (via the "DHCP" dynamic numbering)
192.168.1.101 2nd client
etc..

I just picked .30 arbitrarily. You could go with 42 if you like Douglas Adams or whatever means something to you and you can remember it. ;)

Or you can let the router hand them out and just check the screen on the Azbox to see what the address is. I'm with Lak7 though, you should just assign a static ip to the Azbox so you *always* know where it is at on your network and you don't have to fiddle.

If you don't want to post ip details, feel free to PM me if you have troubles and I'll help you out as well if you have trouble. Lak7's instructions should do it, I just wanted to point out it is best to pick a static ip that isn't within the range the router would hand out.

Thanks Gillham,

I am slowly learning these finer details of networking, with some great thanks to you guys and gals who are so gracious to offer your instructions and assistance! I promise to return the favor to others IF and when I master it! With the input from you all, I should be able to achieve this goal!

I am testing all of this and taking notes as I go along, so all the information presented here will be archived.

RADAR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)