Azbox puts "protected content" on programs??

yeah I see that...whats weird is this week I've recorded numerous items from the azbox (mainly the GDMX channels) and if I get the "protected content" thing I just flip to a different channel then back and it works fine

Well last night was the first time I had a major issue...wanted to record the Hawaii/Navy game. It was 4:2:2 so I had to use the azbox

set up the recorder and a minute before the bottom of the hour hit record and got "protected content"...ok no biggie..channel down, hit record, then back and it was recording fine

for about 2 minutes...then the recorder stopped. Apparently ESPN put some "rolling" (I'd call it) macrovision because if I hit record, within 2 minutes the machine would stop with the "protected content" on it :mad:

tried to record it to the hard drive attached to the azbox and it must have been high bitrate because it st-st-stuttered (which doesnt make sense as it was a SD broadcast)

Well last night was the first time I had a major issue...wanted to record the Hawaii/Navy game. It was 4:2:2 so I had to use the azbox

set up the recorder and a minute before the bottom of the hour hit record and got "protected content"...ok no biggie..channel down, hit record, then back and it was recording fine

for about 2 minutes...then the recorder stopped. Apparently ESPN put some "rolling" (I'd call it) macrovision because if I hit record, within 2 minutes the machine would stop with the "protected content" on it :mad:

tried to record it to the hard drive attached to the azbox and it must have been high bitrate because it st-st-stuttered (which doesnt make sense as it was a SD broadcast)

I really hate digital for all this copy protected crap. Back in the day we never had any issues. It seems every time they find a way to allow copying. External unit etc the other side comes up with some new bs. I think I'll keep recording to my VCR's for a while. I snagged a awesome deal on a JVC SVHS unit a couple weeks ago at the thrift store for $10.00. works great and looks like new :)
Less bs to deal with.

From what you say Ice there probably re initing the copy protection flag every 2 minutes :mad:

When I can't record anymore Im turning off the tv.

yep
now right now I am recording a HD feed so for fun I hooked the azbox up to one dvd recorder and the CS8000 to the other

both started at 5:00 CST
one hooked to Coolsat 8000 still going
azbox shut off 3 minutes into the recording :mad:

yep
now right now I am recording a HD feed so for fun I hooked the azbox up to one dvd recorder and the CS8000 to the other

both started at 5:00 CST
one hooked to Coolsat 8000 still going
azbox shut off 3 minutes into the recording :mad:

That bites, I wonder if there will be a fix to flash the azbox to get around this. Did you ever think about using some kind of copy buster external device between the azbox and recorder using component? May be the only way it will work.

I'll try one of the newer softwares for it...havent had time to update the azbox

using a newer version (not near it right now...3676 maybe?)

Now here is something that makes you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Recording a hockey game and the signal is pretty weak on the 30" so I used the azbox (that has a fixed Primestar dish at 105W where the game is)....anywho hit record and let it record. No problems...

now here is where the hmmmmmmm pops up.

Was recording since 7:00...about 7:12 I noticed "oh crap, I'm viewing it through the dvd recorder (comp 2 on the TV)....I'll flip it to HDMI2 (where the azbox is hooked up) for the cleaner picture"

As soon as the picture came up from HDMI2 (within 2 seconds) the DVD recorder shut off and got "protected content"....If I flip back to comp2 on the TV (after doing the channel up/down) I can record it...been recording for 11 minutes now no issues...

Maybe at intermission I'll flip over to HDMI2 and see if it shuts off.....maybe that's what its doing. If I flip to HDMI it sends a signal to the analog ports to say "protected content"

more to come......

hmmmmmmm....intermission came and for fun I flipped to HDMI2. As soon as I had a pic I started counting
"Stop" on DVD recorder showed up

So it might be a glitch where if you have HDMI "active" the other ports do that "protected content" thing. I flipped it back to comp2 and hit record...I'll see if it records the rest of the game

Makes total sense!
Come to think of it my Directv HD receiver had the same thing happen when I accessed it through my slingbox when my wife turned on the TV, which was connected via HDMI.

well I recorded the rest of the game with no issues. As soon as they said "good night" and went to black I flipped on HDMI2....2 seconds later it automatically stopped the DVD recorder

Now it makes sense why the night the Hawaii b-ball game was on at 3AM it recorded fine. I had component 2 set up to record it and turned the tv off so I never went to HDMI 2.

So it looks like it DOESNT put the "protected content" thing unless I watch it through HDMI2 (for those wondering, HDMI1 is for my Shaw Direct receiver. It has a DVI connector so I use a DVI-HDMI connector and HDMI1 has audio ports on it. HDMI2 does not)

So now I know :)

What's weird is the Coolsat 8000 works fine with both analog & HDMI on at the same time. Watching a program via HDMI and recording analog

I read that all again, and I still don't quite get it. For us non-hdmi folks, does it mean you can't record anything that passes from the Azbox thru HDMI to ANYTHING external?

turbosat
Basically if I tried to record something from the azbox to an EXTERNAL source...not a Hard drive attached to the USB...but something through the a/v cables as soon as I turned the HDTV to view via the HDMI cable the azbox seems to send a signal to the DVD recorder I have to shut off and say "protected recording"

So as long as I view the program from the azbox through the a/v cables (red/yellow/white) while I'm recording something I dont have any issues.
I can still record to a HDD through the USB port with no issues but some programs are high bit so the azbox freaks out when recording them

Sounds like azbox doesnt want you to watch via a digital cable (HDMI) while recording via the analog ports

That was my question. Like I said before, curiouser and curiouser....
Mostly I think its the MPAA doesn't want anybody to be able to record anything at all in HD or near-HD quality.

Well last night solidified my conclusions.

Went to record the Hawaii game. Found the game and hooked up the dvd recorder/hard drive. Hit record and "protected content" (I was on HDMI2). Flipped TV to component 2 and hit record.

Recorded 4 hours with no issues. Machine never stopped recording until I told it to :)

So now I know if I want to record something off the azbox and not to the attached HDD, I CANT put the TV on HDMI2

Now I wonder if it does the same thing if I use the component cables from the azbox to the TV...probably not as both would be considered analog outputs, right?

I would think the component would work better as the HDMI connection is doing a lot of digital handshaking that can cause issues with the other outputs like you are experiencing. Component is analog.

But there's no logical reason that the component outputs should only have Macrovision or whatever enabled when the HDMI output is in use. If they were correctly implementing HD copy protection, the component outputs wouldn't output in HD at all!

In other words, it's a bug.

I dont think its macrovision.....but then again the picture doesnt change if I select HDMI. I just cant record

The main reason I use HDMI on the azbox is the other ports on my HDTV are used

well I know this thread is almost a year old but found a new quirk

I swapped out the HDMI cable recently because of a handshake issue that was pissing me off (requiring numerous reboots). So I hooked the HDMI cable to the 2nd Directv DVR and used component cables on the azbox.

I dont get the issue (protected content) when I flip between component2 (which the azbox is hooked tp) or component1 (where the DVD recorder is). So as long as I dont have the HDMI hooked up there is no issue...hey it only took me a year to figure this out :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)