B Band Converter problem HELP!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Miltmeyers

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Quad Cities Iowa
I'm new to the forum and need some help with a HR20 problem. I had two HR20s, installed by two DirecTV installers, one upstairs and one downstairs. Both had the B Band converters and both when I went to channel 499 said B Band converter NOT installed. I called DirecTV and they sent out the installer and he put in four new B Band Converters. Still the same problem so he realigned the dish and redid set up and forced the latest software and nothing works as they still say," B Band Converter NOT installed." So he left he had no ideas left to try.

Have any of you run into the same problem or do you have any answers or ideas? Thankyou as any help would be appreciated.

milt

No Idea??? I paid $211 with tax for the two HR20s and to get the lastest software you push the red reset button and with the remote key in 02468 and that will load the latest software. Now back to the problem, could it be that the satelitte is not in position??

It is the HR20-100S model and I'm not sure of the number of the software. How do you find that out? Thanks for the info on a software update tonight. Maybe I should wait and check tomorrow. I do not get a searching for sat msg but get the BBC NOT connected msg. Who ever I talked to at DTV said that it was for the new sat. and wouldn't work untill they have it working. I get all the HD and SD channels that I'm supposed to get but the BBC shows not connected. Do I just wait or how do I get their attention??

milt

Please post the exact error message you are getting. As BBC Not installed is not a valid error message.

If its Signal Not Found (Or searching for signal) on channel 499 then you BBC is working fine. :D

It has nothing to do with MPEG4.

Simple non technical answer as I can get. :D

It is because DirecTV is using KU and KA Band. And the Broadband Concerter is taking the KA band and converting it to frequencies that the receiver can receive.

That is why you need a converter, so the new frequencies on the new satellte can be received by your HD receiver. :D

Here is what happens. When I change to ch 499 I get a gray scree for a few seconds and then up comes a page that say:
Important HD Information (with a Directv Logo in the right hand corner)
(next line) Your B-Band Converter is NOT connected
(next lines)To continue receiving your current HD channels and the new HD content launching soon, you must make sure that you have a B-Band Converter attached to each Satellite-in port on your DirecTV receiver. If you do not have a B-Band Converter and need to order one for free, visit directv.com/bbc or call 1-800-531-5000

Yup that is a problem.

And they are connected to the Satellite In ports on your receiver? If you have a HR20 you should have 2 of them plugged in.

What is the reason for using KA instead of just KU. Save space? better picture quality?

The big reason for using KA instead of KU is the Spaceway birds were not initially built for Video services. They were initially meant for broadband internet. DTV got the birds in the Rupe purchase of DTV.

It is the HR20-100S model and I'm not sure of the number of the software. How do you find that out? Thanks for the info on a software update tonight. Maybe I should wait and check tomorrow. I do not get a searching for sat msg but get the BBC NOT connected msg. Who ever I talked to at DTV said that it was for the new sat. and wouldn't work untill they have it working. I get all the HD and SD channels that I'm supposed to get but the BBC shows not connected. Do I just wait or how do I get their attention??

milt

Menu/Help&Settings/Setup/Info&Test -> Select

The test is not all that comprehensive. It causes the receiver to send a signal to the BBC saying to tune to Ka-Low, and since there is no satellite there yet, it gives a searching for signal message. If the receiver doesn't send the signal or the BBC is defective, it picks up a signal from one of the existing satellites which gives the "not connected" screen. I think the software didn't support this until recently, but don't know which version does.

Had the same problem. Then saw a thread that said to change channels a couple of times then go to 499. I did channel 2 then 4 then 499. Got the searching for signal message like I was supposed to.

milt

Channel 499 is compatible with the following receivers: HR20-700 and H20-600.

It will not work with the following receivers (yet): HR20-100 and H20-100, which is why you are having this problem. It is a software issue that D* has not corrected in national release yet.

I just tested 499 on the HR20-100 after last nights Living on the Edge release. Its just showing the Important HD Information screen. To back IWC, it works fine on my HR20-700 and H20-600.

Software problem I can live with untill DTV corrects. Yes I have two BBC on each HR20-100, one on each port. Thanks for the help and I'll just push the problem to the back burner for now.

I'm new to the forum and need some help with a HR20 problem. I had two HR20s, installed by two DirecTV installers, one upstairs and one downstairs. Both had the B Band converters and both when I went to channel 499 said B Band converter NOT installed. I called DirecTV and they sent out the installer and he put in four new B Band Converters. Still the same problem so he realigned the dish and redid set up and forced the latest software and nothing works as they still say," B Band Converter NOT installed." So he left he had no ideas left to try.

Have any of you run into the same problem or do you have any answers or ideas? Thankyou as any help would be appreciated.

milt
You may not have the proper software installed, check with D.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)