B-Band Converters again

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PMKS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
South Texas
So after my HR22 was replaced (bad HDD) under the protection plan earlier this year with a HR24 and I went through this back then.
My trusty owned H23-600 in the bedroom; the output on the HDMI stopped working.
They send me a H24-700, guess what? it needs a B-Band Converter with my non-SWiM slimline-3 LNB and they didn't send one with the new receiver.
So now I have to wait for them to ship me a BBC because I used my spare BBC's earlier this year.
The H23-600 was the best non-DVR HD DirecTv Receiver I ever owned, fast responding, easy to take camping, no BBC required, etc.
Seems they took a step backwards in IRD design requiring a BBC again to work with a non-SWiM LNB.
Just my 2 cents...

No, it was arguably a step forward. New installs are pretty much all SWM so why incur the cost of the wideband tuners...

No, it was arguably a step forward. New installs are pretty much all SWM so why incur the cost of the wideband tuners...

I agree, the amount of legacy installs/upgrades/service I see come through the office in a week I can count on two hands.... same opinion, no need to build windband tuners in boxes, since the newest models are all swm only.

Just asking, couldn't the H23 use a SWiM LNB? it didn't require a BBC with a non-SWiM LNB, why go backwards in technology with the H24 is all I'm asking.

I go camping a lot in areas with scant cell/internet service and my trusty Phase III dish with non-SWiM SL-3 LNB to my H23 IRD set-up has worked out great.
I guess sooner or later I'll have to upgrade my home to a SWiM set-up, hopefully I can keep a legacy compatible IRD on my account...

Just asking, couldn't the H23 use a SWiM LNB? it didn't require a BBC with a non-SWiM LNB, why go backwards in technology with the H24 is all I'm asking.

I go camping a lot in areas with scant cell/internet service and my trusty Phase III dish with non-SWiM SL-3 LNB to my H23 IRD set-up has worked out great.
I guess sooner or later I'll have to upgrade my home to a SWiM set-up, hopefully I can keep a legacy compatible IRD on my account...
The H24/HR24 is FORWARD technology, not backwards.

Very easy solution, buy a SWM LNB and a Power Inserter and your good to go.

The HR 20's were SWM capable, so I'm sure the 23's are as well.

H and hr2x is all swm compatible as well as d12/r16/r22. The only oddballs are the h20 which is swm but not mrv compatible. And the hr20-100 which needs a special setup to power mrv. The h (r)23 series was the only that had wide band tuners. They removed it from the 24s as it was no longer needed since swm and mrv started taking off, and the h25 and hmc model are swm only removing legacy support as it is no longer installed. So it's not that we took a step backwards, it's more that your living in the past. Sorry buddy :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

H and hr2x is all swm compatible as well as d12/r16/r22. The only oddballs are the h20 which is swm but not mrv compatible. And the hr20-100 which needs a special setup to power mrv. The h (r)23 series was the only that had wide band tuners. They removed it from the 24s as it was no longer needed since swm and mrv started taking off, and the h25 and hmc model are swm only removing legacy support as it is no longer installed. So it's not that we took a step backwards, it's more that your living in the past. Sorry buddy :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Easy there ... he's not living in the past, just has old equipment. ;)

So install wide band tuners in 2 million units which cost more than regular tuners so 3 customers can get away not using BBCs. Directv much rather provide those customers with BBCs

Well they removed a 5 cent OTA tuner years ago to save money and somewhat force you to thier version of your local channels ... then came the AM21.

However, the HR23 was the ONLY D* recvr that didn't need the BBC's at the time.

It wasn't a 5 cent OTA tuner. Every tuner required an ATSC license, at $10 a tuner ($20 for an HR20). Wasted expense when most people did not use OTA once DirecTv offered most locals.

It wasn't a 5 cent OTA tuner. Every tuner required an ATSC license, at $10 a tuner ($20 for an HR20). Wasted expense when most people did not use OTA once DirecTv offered most locals.
Is that why the public called for the AM 21 ....
They didn't volantarily decide to build one.

How many Sub channels are available on the D* locals ?
Where I am at the answer is zero .... wait, 1 I think I get the CW channel if you consider that a sub.

Without my HR20 tuners or AM21s I would not be able to get ThisTV, MeTV, Bounce, Grit, MyNetwork, local radar, PBS Florida, PBS Create, PBS Alabama & a 2nd CW. These ARE my local channels and D* should provide them as they advertised. Not just the MAJOR local channels but ALL my locals.

Not going to happen I think. It's just too easy for a local broadcaster to add subchannels, but for DirecTv every subchannel they broadcast takes up a channels worth of bandwidth (as well as all the hardware that goes with it).

Is that why the public called for the AM 21 ....
They didn't volantarily decide to build one.

How many Sub channels are available on the D* locals ?
Where I am at the answer is zero .... wait, 1 I think I get the CW channel if you consider that a sub.

Am21 was brought out for the HR21 it wasn't years latter. It was always planned that way when they decided to go that route. I'll bet less than 5% of subs use it. Heck NO SD customers do.

Am21 was brought out for the HR21 it wasn't years latter. It was always planned that way when they decided to go that route. I'll bet less than 5% of subs use it. Heck NO SD customers do.
Of course it was brought out for the HR21, the HR20's all HAD them.
They always had OTA tuners prior to the HR21's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)