Backing up HD on Dish 722 to EHD

W6k

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 30, 2021
Fresno, ca
I understand there is no Dish company support for EHD so hopefully I can find my answers here. I have my 722 up and a Hopeer 3 ready to be installed. I want to back up the 722 HD prior to the migration. I bought a SanDisk 1 terabyte EHD and plugged it in the USB in the back of the 722. I get a message that only one device is supported and I have too many connected. Totally bogus message. I have never used the USB before except for a wireless Internet adapter at one time. What is that all about?
Next question is, can I migrate to the Hopper and work on the 722 back up after it is deactivated? Will the HD transfer all the saved info like what favorite programs to record along with the recorded movies?

I understand there is no Dish company support for EHD so hopefully I can find my answers here. I have my 722 up and a Hopeer 3 ready to be installed. I want to back up the 722 HD prior to the migration. I bought a SanDisk 1 terabyte EHD and plugged it in the USB in the back of the 722. I get a message that only one device is supported and I have too many connected. Totally bogus message. I have never used the USB before except for a wireless Internet adapter at one time. What is that all about?
Next question is, can I migrate to the Hopper and work on the 722 back up after it is deactivated? Will the HD transfer all the saved info like what favorite programs to record along with the recorded movies?
I take it that the wireless internet adapter is not plugged in. Go into your network settings and make sure that it is cleared out. The 722 might be confused.

Reactions: charlesrshell
After many, many years on a VIP 722K (and two VIP 612s), I upgraded to a Hopper 3 (with two Joey 3s) a couple of months ago. I went through a very long ordeal moving all of my 722 recordings from an almost full 2TB EHD (over 450 movies) to the Hopper and onto another larger EHD. You can read all about it in this thread;

I am not sure why you can't mount and format your new EHD on your 722, Bobby's suggestion about a possible wireless adapter is worth pursuing. You could also try power cycling the 722 with the EHD attached and powered on.

To answer some of your questions, you cannot move settings from the 722 the Hopper, only your recorded movies and shows. I can verify that even with your Hopper installed and up and running, you can still access the recordings on your 722 (without it hooked to your satellite dish or the internet). That's how I moved all my movies after my Hopper upgrade because for reasons that were never determined, my EHD from the 722 would not mount and be visible to the Hopper. Even though the formatting is technically identical between the VIP and Hopper receivers, I would suggest you format your EHD on the Hopper first, then connect it to your 722 and then start moving your movies to the EHD.

Also, technically, Dish does support the use of EHDs, they just don't officially support a Hopper accessing an EHD from a VIP receiver, even though there is no technical reason for it not to work. My case was abnormal as many other users have had no problem with the transition.

That was very informative. I have recycled the 722 with the EHD attached and get the same message. I don't have a lot of movies recorded, but I do record quite a number of live programs and after viewing them I delete them. I will need to set those all up again since the record markers won't be transferred. I'll move to the Hopper and start over, then see if I can get the 722 to recognize the EHD. I'll have the Hopper format the new drive and see if that helps. I now have a positve direction and I thank you very much.

I ordered a 2 TB back up drive. It is in a very nice totally sealed solid case and measures 2X4". It could be a flash drive. It wouldn't be a 2 TB SSD for $100. How can i determine if it is a Flash drive vs a HDD.

Boy, am I out of touch with technology. This is an SSD, far better than an old clunky HDD and very inexpensive. SSD were not around when they designed the 722, so i guess that is the problem.I'll find a use for this SSD and find a used HDD somewhere.
Thanks for the heads up.

I ordered a 2 TB back up drive. It is in a very nice totally sealed solid case and measures 2X4". It could be a flash drive. It wouldn't be a 2 TB SSD for $100. How can i determine if it is a Flash drive vs a HDD.
If you knew the make and model, i would be easy. A external HDD for 2TB is around $60-$80 depending on where you buy it if it is on sale or not, a good example is Target has a 2TB 2.5" Western Digital which is $79.99 at the store but $69.99 if you buy it online for either delivery or store pickup but the store also will match the online price, it may even be cheaper elsewhere but until you try it, it's hard to know if the make/model is compatible or not as it could depend on the controller and even the firmware of the drive among other things. SSD's are not totally new as they have existed in even the 1980s but just physically larger and expensive. SSD might be better for other things but not for DVR's as it does have limited read and write cycles before it will fail among other reasons which others might be better at mentioning compared to spinners which is another name for the traditional HDD's. In your case, unless the product is from a actual storage manufacturer, they will use a drive from one of the few remaining storage manufacturers and then there will be a controller sitting between the internal drive before it reaches the DVR and hopefully the controller is compatible since from experience, it's not the drive itself that is the problem but the controller but I could be wrong because I haven't had a incompatible drive yet as I have only used either the portable 2.5" WD 2TB drives or other internal bare drives on a docking station or using a direct SATA to USB cable, and when I had the docking station issue which worked on the Hopper 1 but doesn't work on the Hopper 3, connecting the same drive to the direct SATA to USB cable allowed the drive to work correctly and seeing all the contents. And while that same EHDD was used on the Hopper 1, what I did was clone the EHDD to another identical 2TB HDD but different manufacturer on the computer and then used the later as the HDD on the Hopper 3 should the Hopper 3 decide to format the drive, I will have a backup to clone from and try again instead of losing all 4 years worth of unwatched recordings as I only move things to the EHDD so the DVR has room to record and I delete each recording after watching it unless it was something I really wanted to keep.

If you knew the make and model, i would be easy. A external HDD for 2TB is around $60-$80 depending on where you buy it if it is on sale or not, a good example is Target has a 2TB 2.5" Western Digital which is $79.99 at the store but $69.99 if you buy it online for either delivery or store pickup but the store also will match the online price, it may even be cheaper elsewhere but until you try it, it's hard to know if the make/model is compatible or not as it could depend on the controller and even the firmware of the drive among other things. SSD's are not totally new as they have existed in even the 1980s but just physically larger and expensive. SSD might be better for other things but not for DVR's as it does have limited read and write cycles before it will fail among other reasons which others might be better at mentioning compared to spinners which is another name for the traditional HDD's. In your case, unless the product is from a actual storage manufacturer, they will use a drive from one of the few remaining storage manufacturers and then there will be a controller sitting between the internal drive before it reaches the DVR and hopefully the controller is compatible since from experience, it's not the drive itself that is the problem but the controller but I could be wrong because I haven't had a incompatible drive yet as I have only used either the portable 2.5" WD 2TB drives or other internal bare drives on a docking station or using a direct SATA to USB cable, and when I had the docking station issue which worked on the Hopper 1 but doesn't work on the Hopper 3, connecting the same drive to the direct SATA to USB cable allowed the drive to work correctly and seeing all the contents. And while that same EHDD was used on the Hopper 1, what I did was clone the EHDD to another identical 2TB HDD but different manufacturer on the computer and then used the later as the HDD on the Hopper 3 should the Hopper 3 decide to format the drive, I will have a backup to clone from and try again instead of losing all 4 years worth of unwatched recordings as I only move things to the EHDD so the DVR has room to record and I delete each recording after watching it unless it was something I really wanted to keep.
/rant on
I have stopped reading your long paragraph replies please try to be more concise
/rant off
Sorry but 4 or 5 a day grates on me.

Reactions: thomasjk
Dish has this info on their website: "The external hard drive must not use flash memory and should only be a single-hard disk drive." Your SanDisk EHD may not meet this requirement.
I've tried SSD's before and they worked. I did not do an extended test.
SSD might be better for other things but not for DVR's as it does have limited read and write cycles before it will fail among other reasons
The speed of an SSD is certainly wasted as an EHD. But I think it doesn't get that many write cycles since it's an archive disk. It's not like a Windows disk that's getting beat up all day every day.

/rant on
I have stopped reading your long paragraph replies please try to be more concise
/rant off
Sorry but 4 or 5 a day grates on me.
/rant on
When communicating online, there is something known as netiquette which are rules for electronic communications since the 1980s:
/rant off
My apologies anyways.

Yes, it might be long paragraph replies but you have to remember that it's a contribution and as I read a lot of forums daily including this one and barely have time to sleep, 1-2 hours daily or every 48 hours and also taking care of my 95 year old mom who lives with me, I am typing the entire message in 2-3 minutes flat and most of the time, my hands actually type about 3 seconds faster than the text shows up and while I do catch mistakes that I correct but if I try to be more concise, I will forget what else I was going to add. I am already running on a 13 year backlog with over 850,000 unread emails among other things and also, being in California, for people who either have businesses or lives in any of the counties considered disaster areas, our April 15, 2023 tax deadline has actually been extended been changed to October 15, 2023 which is 6 months later and unlike the others who have regular deadlines, I don't think we can extend it. Why I mention that, before I can even do my taxes which takes 1-2 days for both myself and my mom, I also have to basically manually do the following for each of my financial accounts which is close to 100:
1) Bank accounts - copy the current balance and update it into Microsoft Money
2) Investment Accounts - this is the one that takes long as I have to manually put everything since February 28, 2022 into Microsoft Money where I will also copy the current cash assets, the total account balance which needs to be compared and updated after I finish entering the transaction data and ofcourse for the transactions, I will just select everything on the account I am working on from February 28, 2022 until now then copy and paste it then what I do is I need to go through each date and delete the useless lines which are either blank and the useless transactions like deposits and interest payments which includes Money Market Fund Dividends and Reinvestments. Then after that, the events I keep are stock splits, dividends on securities, dividend reinvestments, stock spin-offs, foreign tax paid for dividend and ADR management fees. Stock splits are easy as I just need to find out the split, it takes 2-3 seconds. Dividends on a security for each event also takes 10 seconds because I manually memorize the date to type it in and copy and paste the $ value, then for dividend reinvestments, I also memorize the date/the number of shares, copy and paste the per share price and hopefully the total price matches the dividend value - any fees and foreign taxes paid on the dividends. If not, then I have to delete the per share price and instead put in the dividend value - any fees and foreign taxes paid on the dividends and the program will put in the correct per share price as it needs the qty of shares and either the cost per share or total cost with 2 out of 3 variables. And this is the easy part. If there was a stock spin-off, merger, etc, then there would need to be manual adjustments done for all transactions for that security which may date back 30 years as well as things like cash paid as part of the spin-off/merger and the shares that got converted to cash also needs to be recorded which now requires looking at the online PDF copy of the statement for the month it happened as the transactions will show cash-in-lieu but only the amount, it never shows how many shares were sold to get that cash amount and spin-offs and mergers also has another issue, that is determining how many % of the original investment amount went to each of the securities to figure out the cost basis like AT&T spins off Warner Discovery Media, after getting the AT&T shares because AT&T bought Time Warner Cable, the original transaction as well as all transaction $ amounts will need to be adjusted so the % of the original investment goes to each one correctly and also add all the transactions to the from the AT&T record into the new Warner Discover Media with the correct $ amount based on the % of the amount on the AT&T side before all the % adjustment and that takes time because one or more mistakes in the $ amount will cause incorrect calculations for now and the infinite future as I won't have the original $ amount on the AT&T side after I changed it to correct the issue. And for each transaction, after I input it, I will still confirm it is correct before deleting it in notepad. The other thing is I need to compare the names and symbols to companies to make sure they are up to date since some companies have changed names along with a new symbol so until I change it, there will not be updates to the prices of that security. After all is done, I adjust the cash balance to match what was copy and pasted and also compare the total account value which was copy and pasted which can't be change. And that is only one account. I honestly don't know how long it will take for all the accounts as it depends how many different things happened in each account.

I know I can read the forums every few days but that hasn't worked well as basically there are more unread threads in the Dish and Dish Hopper+ forum which requires even more time spent.