bad phone lines for my dialup...have ?

uh-oh

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
No phone competition and thus stuck with dialup with very slow speed. Connection is worse or non-existent when damp outside.
I am not good with all this technology and can't make much out of posts here, so please answer in simple language.

Satellite internet connection would be our only other option as there is no DSL or cable here. I want to make an informed decision:
*how many satellite companies are there?
*which one would be best for the tech impaired?
*what is downside of satellite connection vs dialup? I am miserable with our phone service, and we are stuck with them for phone service because a cell phone won't work here - we live in mtns in valley.
*we have big dish and directv and happy with both. We also have satellite radio and happy with it. There are problems, of course, but nothing is perfect - we manage fine, and have a tech repairman an hour away to help.

Thanks for suggestions

Hobojoe has posted that his Hughesnet Hn7000 is giving good VOIP (Vontage) service. I think I would look to Hughesnet if I were you. It isn't cheap, looking at 79.00 / mo for the speed you will need as a minimum.

uh-oh said:
No phone competition and thus stuck with dialup with very slow speed. Connection is worse or non-existent when damp outside.

- Not to defend your phone co., but quality (both voice & dial-up speed) deteriorates the farther you are from the phone co. equipment. My phone company's equipment is over 25 miles away and the fastest dial-up speed I got was 19.8 Kbps; some neighbors got even less. That's how/why I got into satellite internet.

Satellite internet connection would be our only other option as there is no DSL or cable here. I want to make an informed decision:
*how many satellite companies are there?
- as The Tate posted, HughesNet and Wildblue are the only two-way satellite internet companies to consider, and definitely stay away from those satellite services with phone line for upload, satellite for download.

*which one would be best for the tech impaired?
- Correctly installed, both Hughes & Wildblue are transparent - you start up your computer, open a wen broswer, and you're online.

*what is downside of satellite connection vs dialup? I am miserable with our phone service, and we are stuck with them for phone service because a cell phone won't work here - we live in mtns in valley.
- Really no downside to dial-up, but comapred to other broadband services (DSL / Cable), satellite has a latency issue: You're connection is travelling almost 50,000 miles before it hits the internet "backbone" (up to the satellite in orbit over the equator and then back down to the earth bound gateway). So, when you click a link on a web page, there is a few seconds' delay before the link starts to load.

*we have big dish and directv and happy with both. We also have satellite radio and happy with it. There are problems, of course, but nothing is perfect - we manage fine, and have a tech repairman an hour away to help.

- Just make sure your satellite internet dealer / installer is reputable, and is reasonably close by to provide support. Good luck!

We have a new package out for those that are interested in getting internet with a reliable VoIP service via satellite. for $99.99 a month you will get internet and unlimited phone service to all the US and Canada with no wories of a FAP. Quality? I would love to demontrate the quality to you, I don't want anyone to just take my word for it. The quality is as good as a cell phone. With this offer we are also reducing equipment cost. If anyone would like more info you can contact me at 1-866-369-5855

SkyLink said:
We have a new package out for those that are interested in getting internet with a reliable VoIP service via satellite. for $99.99 a month you will get internet and unlimited phone service to all the US and Canada with no wories of a FAP. Quality? I would love to demontrate the quality to you, I don't want anyone to just take my word for it. The quality is as good as a cell phone. With this offer we are also reducing equipment cost. If anyone would like more info you can contact me at 1-866-369-5855

How about buying a sponsorship if you want to advertise on this site.

Contact Scott he can help you.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/member.php?u=1

sorry

The Tate said:
How about buying a sponsorship if you want to advertise on this site.

Contact Scott he can help you.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/member.php?u=1

I wasn't trying to step on anyones toes . I just figured with everything going on and the interest in VoIP that people would be interested in hearing about a product that can and will fill those needs. That's what I suspect this type of forum is for. I certainly don't mind contributing to a forum as good as this one. So, I again humbly apologize.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)