Baffled about D* install...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Enforcer

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Hey all. Ok here goes, I just switched over to D* from E* and can't wait to put my new R10 Direct Tivo to work. However, I have having issues acquring the 101 satellite. Currently, I have been aiming the dish using the D1 (Hughes receiver). So far I am getting great signal readings on both 119 and 110 on almost all of the transponders. Without any luck and many hours of turning and adjusting, I still can't lock onto any signal from 101. The installer that is scheduled to come out on Monday called me and I explained to him that I am using the existing pole and wiring from my E* dish. I am fairly proficient at installing these, but this has got me baffled. He explained it sounded like the triple LNB could be bad. We'll see on Monday. It has been bitterly cold here around 10-15 degrees, and i have heard reports that the cold could effect the LNB multiswitch.

One thing I have noticed and it makes me wonder how accurate the D1 hughes reciever is aquiring the 101 sat compared to my R10 tivo. For example, on my D1 sat 110 gives me strong signal reading from transponder 8 and 12, but not 10. On my R10 is gives me all high signal readings including transponder 10 which the D1 did not even give me a signal.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Sorry, I am a newbie !
What is D*, and what is E* ?
I feel dizzy about all these abbreviations. Is there any web page reveal their secrets !!!
Thanks,

When I first installed my D* system I got 119 & 110 with no 101.

I was pointing to far west and was receiving those satellites on the wrong lnb's

I have found that the best way to set up is to look for 101 transponder 1. If your tilt is set correctly the others will fall into place.

Are you getting any 101 signal on any reciever? Are there any Dish multi switches left in the lines or house that your not aware of?? If no multi switches and you are not getting any 101 at all on any receiver, make sure that the pole is plum and you have the scew set properly. If both of those are oky, move the dish back towards the East and you'll lock onto the 101 which will also lock onto 110 & 119.

Well after much patience, I finally was able to lock onto 101, however only transponder 4. No other transponders would show up. The signal I got was around 34 and peaked at 35 or so. I could never increase that signal no matter what I did. Still great signal on 119 and 110. I do not have any multiswitches except for the one built into the LNB. I am sooo confused. I did very small increments until i lost all signal on that transponder. I do have some dead trees that are in front of the dish about 15-20 feet in front. However since I am getting 119 and 110 in the mid to high 90's, should'nt i get the same on 101 eventually?

No if one of the trees is directly in line with the 101 sat it will need to be cut before your signal improves.

I still think Phil T nailed the problem, although, dishjockey may also be correct.

My recommendation is to be 100% sure you do all of the following:
1. The mast is perfectly level
2. You have pre-set the elevation and tilt and locked them down
3. With the dish set up with a coax connected to the receiver, which is in the signal strength meter on teh 101 satellite, slowly rotate the dish on its level mast in the southern sky.

You should get the 101/110/119 signal very quickly.

Good luck,

-Robert

#2. You have pre-set the elevation and tilt and locked them down#

Hi Robert,

How do we pre-set the tilt ? Rotate the LNBF ?

I think D* is circular polar. We don't need to tilt ??

Hey everyone. I thank all of you for all your input! I finally got all my sats aligned and now I am enjoying Directv. Man this R10 Directivo is outstanding. Special thanks to Robert at Value Electronics for all his assistance and taking care of all my needs! thanks again

Matt (Lexington, KY)

xrf1 said:
#2. You have pre-set the elevation and tilt and locked them down#

Hi Robert,

How do we pre-set the tilt ? Rotate the LNBF ?

I think D* is circular polar. We don't need to tilt ??

It's not a question of circular or linear polarization.

Triple LNB dishes need to be skewed to align the 119 satellite. When the 18x20 truncated dish is rotated it adjusts the refraction of the 119 signal to align itself with the satellite. Rotating the dish does not effect the 101 signal.

The LNBs don't move, just the elliptical reflector rotates.

-Robert

Enforcer said:
Hey everyone. I thank all of you for all your input! I finally got all my sats aligned and now I am enjoying Directv. Man this R10 Directivo is outstanding. Special thanks to Robert at Value Electronics for all his assistance and taking care of all my needs! thanks again

Matt (Lexington, KY)

Thanks Matt, I sent you a PM.

-Robert

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)