BD burner suggestions?

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I am considering buying or building a new home PC around April. One function will be to work with SDHC memory cards from a Canon HD camcorder that I have on order, to burn DVDs, DVDs readable only on BD players, and BDs.

I'll post in the Computers forum about the PC specs. But I thought I'd ask here which BD burner you would recommend for the task.

Unless the burners are cost prohibitive, I'd like to burn to BD also. But if the prices of blanks stay where they are, I'll have to just add a BD burner a year or two later and conserve my cash.

Then again, maybe I'm being impractical. Roughly how many minutes of HD (yes, I know it's HIGHLY compressed) can you put on a single sided DVD? And will it be readable in all BD players? New field for me.

My Magnavox player would/will not read AVC HD's authored with Nero, but will with MovieFactory 6 plus... my Sony player will read both. Depending on the bitrate probably 30 minutes to a Dvd 5 and an hour on a 9 (DL). Do you have a program capable of burning disc image's? If so I could put up an image later and send you a link to access it to see if your players will play an AVC HD... (they should)

I'm stuck at Nero 6. Never looked at it's full capabilities- mostly used for burning data and picture CDs. Now it's easier to use thumb drives. I'll have to look it over - or is the fact that it burns DVDs sufficient? I'd like to try it out, if so.

30 minutes is good enough, I suppose. I have a PS3 and Sammy 1500. I expect to buy for my in-laws for Xmas a combined BD-VHS player (oh the SHAME of it!). But only if there's one at a reasonable price. The only one I've heard of is the Panny DMR-BR360V for $1500. That's not going to happen. So I might just get them a stand alone BD player instead, and they'll just keep their DVD/VHS deck too. So there's some question if things we burn will be readable, since I can't be sure what I'll be getting them.

AVC HD on DVD is the same quality has on blu but you can only fit 8gb of video on a DL DVD. I back up to multiple DVDs and then burn a full 50gb blu of video.

I'm stuck at Nero 6. Never looked at it's full capabilities- mostly used for burning data and picture CDs. Now it's easier to use thumb drives. I'll have to look it over - or is the fact that it burns DVDs sufficient? I'd like to try it out, if so.
Nero 6 should work fine, if not find Img Burn a free program, I'm putting up a small AVC HD Disc Image to Pando and will PM you a link to it when it is up... (I'm on wireless IP so slow) you will need a Dvd Rw to burn it to (unless you want to waste a Dvd R to a 91 mb clip ;))(If you are still interested :))

OK. Sorry for delay. Wife's been sick.

Downloaded it, found I didn't have any more -Rs. Used a +RW and it ran fine in my Sammy 1500. Of course, a PS3 would not play a plus, so I didn't even try. I've got some -Rs now, and will try it again with the PS3, but it's working well.

PQ is more than good enough. This approach should tide me over until BD burner prices fall. Unless, of course, I happen upon a good one at CC.

Thank you.

OK. Sorry for delay. Wife's been sick.

Downloaded it, found I didn't have any more -Rs. Used a +RW and it ran fine in my Sammy 1500. Of course, a PS3 would not play a plus, so I didn't even try. I've got some -Rs now, and will try it again with the PS3, but it's working well.
I'll send you a link to a better demo of an AVC HD image...

Sony S350 Wireless Connection

Blu-ray sales soar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)