BDA: Ultra HD Blu-ray Is A 4K Toolbox

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
http://hdguru.com/bda-ultra-hd-blu-ray-is-a-4k-toolbox/

The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) this week shed a little more light on what we can expect from the first Ultra HD Blu-ray players when they get here. What we can’t expect, however, is that a player will be available in the U.S. market by the end of the year, what it might cost or what movie titles will be available to support it.

News on actual player and content availability was left to forthcoming announcements from the individual companies, but based on what we’ve heard through announcements from recent international trade events, an Ultra HD Blu-ray player delivery this year in the United States is looking less than certain.

Licensing for the Ultra HD Blu-ray specification is under way and reports out of Germany and Japan in recent weeks had Samsung and Panasonic revealing their first Ultra-HD Blu-ray players, but the Samsung model won’t be ready until 2016 and all that we know about the Panasonic model is that it will be available this fall in Japan. No news on the U.S. plans.

Going to be needing a model that isnt $3000 and has dual HDMI out...

That particular Panasonic player is not scheduled to be released in the US as it has a tuner and recording functions.

S~

Yeah, kinda what I read. Considering the Samsung is supposed to be less than $500, hopefully the Panny is close. I assume we will hear something from Sony as well.

CEDIA is just a couple of days away. Perhaps something will be announced this week... ;)

Reactions: gadgtfreek
CEDIA is just a couple of days away. Perhaps something will be announced this week... ;)

I doubt we will hear much this week.
At least nothing concrete but I wouldn't worry if we don't either.
CES will be another story. Ultra hd
Blue ray players should be announced with titles slowly trickling in. If things aren't announced then I'd worry.

Im pretty excited to see a new release movie in 2160p HDR with lossless audio. Fun times. Im glad I stayed out of Best Buy until now, but once I saw the demo stuff I wanted more.

True.
The 4K bug is similar to the hd bug a few years back.
I can't wait (will be a while) till I see a football game in glorious 4K with HDR.
4K movies will hold me over until then.
4K on Netflix really looks good.

Thats what it felt like for me. I had not spent that much time watching demo's since we bought our first 720p plasma from Circ City, when Comcast here got like 8 HD channels. 3D was OK, but more "meh" for me. I was skeptical of 2160p at first, but it has developed finally and then you had the folks saying it was only useful on a larger screen or up close. That is just NOT true.

Reactions: dfergie

Since it is in Dallas, I am planning on going there on Thursday and see what is interesting... But, I am not expecting to see much since everything is pretty much announced and most vendors are now holding until CES...

Since it is in Dallas, I am planning on going there on Thursday and see what is interesting... But, I am not expecting to see much since everything is pretty much announced and most vendors are now holding until CES...

Please let us know if you see the new JVC projector lineup. X5000,X7000,x9000. No native 4K from these but supposedly much improved.

Great! Keep us posted on what you see and hear.
LG and Sony will have press conferences on Thursday. Might be interesting:
LG 8:00-8:30 Booth 5306
Sony 8:30-9:00 Booth 3701

Those press conferences are too early. I will be driving down so probably get there somewhere between 10:30 and noon...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)