Bell 9200

kubrick1

Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
I live in Portland Oregon and have had ExpressVu for about 5 years. I want to upgrade to a 9200. I've read that the receiver is excellent. Can anyone give me some pros and cons. Also, anyone know where I can buy one on line and have it shipped to me. I keep looking on eBay because I'd like to get in cheaper than the $500-$600 that some other sites have it listed and I'd also like to get it new. I've tried kusat ($549). My dish has a dual lnb will I have to get a another co axle connection so I can run the 9200 and my 3100 I have in another room? I've read you can use the 9200 for different tv's but this sounds like like wiring through the house rather than running a cable from the dish to the other room.

Any advice?

Excellent machine. Only drawback is that it is MPEG2 only meaning that it probably only has about 2 years of EVU HD life in it.

Ebay is your best bet.

Forget it. The 9200 is obsolete - it isn't MPEG4 upgradable. Expressvu is just dumping inventory at this time, knowing full well that they will be offering MPEG4 units as soon as existing inventory is gone.

They only reason that they haven't d gone to MPEG4 (or 8PSK) already is the use of Craplite satellite @ 82 degrees. When N4 and 5 become operational in 08 and 09; the switch will be made.

So should I pickup a 6000 or 6100 for now so that I can get HD at least?

I would get a 6100 if I were you. It will still function as a SD receiver after the MPEG4 HD transfer which is at least a year away. 6100 is a smaller investment than 9200 for what will be SD only soon.

The 9200 will function as a SD DUAL PVR at that time as well.

However, I bet you can get a used 6100 for 180 bucks all-in.

Yeah, I've been checking eBay and it looks like the 6100 is much more reasonable. I think I'll do that then jump on the new technology when the Mpeg4 comes out. Thanks for the advice.

Forget it. The 9200 is obsolete - it isn't MPEG4 upgradable. Expressvu is just dumping inventory at this time, knowing full well that they will be offering MPEG4 units as soon as existing inventory is gone.

They only reason that they haven't d gone to MPEG4 (or 8PSK) already is the use of Craplite satellite @ 82 degrees. When N4 and 5 become operational in 08 and 09; the switch will be made.

hi

Q.:1what do you mean bt n4 and n5? Q.:2 in 1 year they will change satellite?

hi

Q.:1what do you mean bt n4 and n5? Q.:2 in 1 year they will change satellite?

Depends on timetable of satellite launches - there are usually delays for one reason or another.

Be aware that it has been posted on other forums (but not confirmed); that N4 and N5 will have footprints similiar to the old Anik E2 - ie extra power to Canada's west coast - only northern third of US coverage.

New satellites:

Nimiq 4 April 2008

Nimq 5 2009

Correct me if i'm wrong but Nimiq 4 only comes to replace Nimiq 4iR, that's not really a new satellite and they don't give additional space for new HD channels ?

Nimiq 5 will be operational in 2010 only, so it's minimum 2 years and a couple of months before we see this new satellite.

I'm just asking because Wikipedia gives 2 different information...

Bell ExpressVu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia : Nimiq 4i was replaced with Nimiq 4iR as it ran out of fuel on April 28, 2007 and was de-orbited. Nimiq 4iR is temporary and will be replaced by a newly launched satellite in 2008 which will take the name Nimiq 4.

Nimiq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :
Nimiq 4i run out of fuel and was replaced by Nimiq 4iR on April 28, 2007.
Nimiq 4 is scheduled to be launched in early 2008 by a Proton Breeze M rocket from Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan. It will replace Nimiq 4i.

People have been saying that for a couple years. And they'll probably keep saying it for another year.
Until then, might as well get the 9200, since it's the ONLY HD-DVR that Bell has.

So, no new transponders will be available with Nimiq 4 ?
No new transponders but maybe more channels per transponder if the satellite has more power and can then use more effective modulation.

I would wait. The MPEG4 replacements for the 9200 and 6100 are less than 6 months away. (BEV says Q4 2007 for the 9200.) Full switchover to MPEG4 may be 2 years away but new channels and some premium channels could go MPEG4 before then.

That's what Scott said a couple of weeks ago...

New MPEG 4 receivers and new HD channels in MPEG 4 by the end of the year...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)