BEST Buy sucks!!! HD DVD!!

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
:D They're having a 36 month same as cash payment plan for product 499 and up (ie., HD DVD or Blu ray!!!!) and now I'm "forced" to get one!!!;)

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
The sucky part is whatever you buy will probably be obsolete before it's paid for with that kind of financing.

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
Fgsilva said:
:D They're having a 36 month same as cash payment plan for product 499 and up (ie., HD DVD or Blu ray!!!!) and now I'm "forced" to get one!!!;)
That should be SOP considering their prices on large TV's are usually 500 dollars more than Onecall or TVauthority. Good deal on something that doesnt have deep discounts online though.

MW390

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 16, 2005
I used OneCall and applied for their credit card, so I got it for $40.00 less, 3 day free Fedex (came in 2 DAYS - Spokane to Long Island, NY) and I get 12 months to pay and NO tax.

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
Well, I'm still debating if I should get it or not. $500 for a DVD player is A LOT. Also, I"m not completely sure if it will work on my TV. It has DVI and Component inputs only. currently I have a 622 connected using HDMI to DVI cable. Will that also work for the HD-DVD?

thanks!

Paradox-SJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 20, 2003
San Jose, California
500.00 for a DVD player is only alot if you are not used to buying referance quality audio/video toys. If you are then its cheap...

You are getting and HD-DVD player and one of the best upcoverting DVD players on the markert.

Well worth 5 bills

teamerickson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 20, 2006
El Dorado Hills, CA
Fgsilva said:
Well, I'm still debating if I should get it or not. $500 for a DVD player is A LOT. Also, I"m not completely sure if it will work on my TV. It has DVI and Component inputs only. currently I have a 622 connected using HDMI to DVI cable. Will that also work for the HD-DVD?

thanks!
Go for it, then get netflix if you haven't already. And please, don't rent any new HD DVD releases in the first two weeks. They're for me!!:D

Last edited:

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
you're probably right. And on this day and age of HD-lite, this may be the only source of true HD that is left.

Paradox-SJ said:
500.00 for a DVD player is only alot if you are not used to buying referance quality audio/video toys. If you are then its cheap...

You are getting and HD-DVD player and one of the best upcoverting DVD players on the markert.

Well worth 5 bills

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
HA!, So you're the reason why I always get "long wait" on my netflix!!! :D

teamerickson said:
Go for it, then get netflix if you haven't already. And please, don't rent any new HD DVD releases in the first two weeks. There for me!!:D

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
Never mind. i checked and it seems that it only plays DVD-R. I have a lot of movies saved in my hard drive but my burner is a DVD+R! :(

teamerickson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 20, 2006
El Dorado Hills, CA
Fgsilva said:
Never mind. i checked and it seems that it only plays DVD-R. I have a lot of movies saved in my hard drive but my burner is a DVD+R! :(
In not sure the statement "it only plays DVD-R" is correct. It does not support DVD+R, but I believe people have stated they have played DVD+R in the Toshiba unit. Can someone please confirm?

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
From Best buy website:

HD-DVD
Plays HD DVD, HD DVD-R, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, CD, CD-R/-RW, MP3 and WMA formats

From toshiba's website:
Disc Playback: HD-DVD/HD DVD-R/DVD/DVD-R/DVD-RAM/DVD-RW/CD/CD-R/CD-RW/

no mention of DVD+R or DVR+RW! :(

teamerickson said:
In not sure the statement "it only plays DVD-R" is correct. It does not support DVD+R, but I believe people have stated they have played DVD+R in the Toshiba unit. Can someone please confirm?

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
teamerickson said:

I think someone at AVS reported it works but Id have to look for the post again.

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Toshiba does not guarantee compatibility with all DVD+R discs, but most seem to work just fine.

jgantert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 7, 2004
Aberdeen, MD
I added the post for the RCA on that website. No VCD or JPG discs will work, but other than that everything else should. I have tested DVD+RW, DVD-R, CD-R & CD-RWs. All work fine.

-John

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
Intesting it worked for you. I got one at BB yesterday and It wouldn't play a DVD+RW at all (kept saying NO DISC!) and it didn't play well a DVD+R. it kept showing pixelation!
so I guss it's a trip back to BB. I wasn't very satisfied with it to be honest. the unit looks like the first generation VCRs and can that remote be any longer????

I think I best wait for the next generation players which hopefully will be smaller, cheaper and with fewer bugs!

jgantert said:
I added the post for the RCA on that website. No VCD or JPG discs will work, but other than that everything else should. I have tested DVD+RW, DVD-R, CD-R & CD-RWs. All work fine.

-John

CochiseGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 6, 2006
Cochise County, Arizona
Fgsilva said:

The Toshiba HD DVD player doesn't officially support DVD+R, but many folks on the AVSforum report both +R single & dual layer plays fine. My DVD burner supports both -R and +R. I've always burned -R single layer, and they play fine on my XA1. I recently bought some Verbatim +R Dual Layer on sale and burned some, and they play fine on my XA1. The 'secret' is when authoring +R DVD, select the DVD-ROM format - DVD Video, NOT DVD data.

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
Hmm, I must still be doing something wrong. I use power2go software for burning. even though I use "data" for transfering my dvdshrink files to it, it ask me if I want to make it a dvd video file and later on I can add the option of dvd-rom also! the dvd+rw still wont' play, but only the DVD+R

Update: Why am I wasting my time playing with this??? My DVD burner supports DVD-RW also!

CochiseGuy said:
The Toshiba HD DVD player doesn't officially support DVD+R, but many folks on the AVSforum report both +R single & dual layer plays fine. My DVD burner supports both -R and +R. I've always burned -R single layer, and they play fine on my XA1. I recently bought some Verbatim +R Dual Layer on sale and burned some, and they play fine on my XA1. The 'secret' is when authoring +R DVD, select the DVD-ROM format - DVD Video, NOT DVD data.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts