BEST COMEDY MOVIE

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AcWxRadar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
40 miles NW of Omaha. Omaha?
This ties into my post regarding the BEST WESTERN MOVIE, so let's see what everyone else really likes for comedy movies.

My absolute TOP favorites (the ones I deem as classics) are:

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
National Lampoon's Vacation
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Airplane

These are not in any order of hiearchy.

How about your favorites?

RADAR

Animal House, Blazing Saddles, Stripes

Throw in some Martin and Lewis, Abbot and Costello and Crosby and Hope flicks too

Dang OSU! I should have put "Animal House" in my list of classics, it fits my criteria! I just neglected it.

Obviously, all the "Abbott and Costello", "Laurel and Hardy" and "Martin and Lewis" movies must be considered. These are for us old guys to relish! A lot of the younger generations might not even recognize them. I LOVED them! I think Bud Abbott and Lou Costello were the best. The most rememberable episodes were in the "scary" or "monster" movies like A&C Meet... The Mummy, Frankenstein, the Wereworlf, etc... My goodness, I loved those movies! They were my main staple as a kid!

"Ch... Chi... Chi... Oh chick... Chi... Chi... Chiiiiicccckkkkk! Oh Chick, Oh Chiiiiiiccccckkkkkk!"

LOL! Trademark Lou Costello fright scenes. These guys were great! No doubt!

RADAR

Dang OSU! I should have put "Animal House" in my list of classics, it fits my criteria! I just neglected it.

Obviously, all the "Abbott and Costello", "Laurel and Hardy" and "Martin and Lewis" movies must be considered. These are for us old guys to relish! A lot of the younger generations might not even recognize them. I LOVED them! I think Bud Abbott and Lou Costello were the best. The most rememberable episodes were in the "scary" or "monster" movies like A&C Meet... The Mummy, Frankenstein, the Wereworlf, etc... My goodness, I loved those movies! They were my main staple as a kid!

"Ch... Chi... Chi... Oh chick... Chi... Chi... Chiiiiicccckkkkk! Oh Chick, Oh Chiiiiiiccccckkkkkk!"

LOL! Trademark Lou Costello fright scenes. These guys were great! No doubt!

RADAR

One of my favorites beside Who's on First is Costello proving 13 x 7 =28

Last edited by a moderator:
Caddy Shack is a great one, too! How about... "Back to School"?

My initial list was for the all time best comedies for me (those which would be classics and undeniably the best), but we all know that there are many great shows out there that we have not covered.So, how about "The Great Outdoors", "Home Alone", "Planes, Trains and Automobiles", "Uncle Buck" and "What About Bob"? These are pretty doggone good, even if they are not entirely classics. Maybe someday they will all be classics.

I have a rule regarding all movies, COMEDIES, WESTERNS, WAR, SCIFI, etc.... If the move is 20 years old or older and it is still discussed in length at the water cooler at work or quoted extensively among friends, then it becomes a classic for it's genre for all time.

Examples... Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Wizard of Oz, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, True Grit, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Blazing Saddles, The Wizard of Oz, It's A Wonderful Life, etc. These movies will never be "out of style". That is what I mean by a "classic". They were so good when they were made that they endure for generations. They stand up to the test of time, I guess.

RADAR

Can't forget "Joliet " Jake and Elwood -- The Blues Brothers, Smokey and the Bandit and the Bad News Bears too.

I just turned 42 today, so I don't consider myself old, but I still like the classics from the 40's forward. Stayed up late during the summer watching old movies on OETA with my grandma and grandpa.

Danny Kaye's Inspector General, Gene Kelley Singin in the Rain, Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby in Holiday Inn (Christmas and Comedy what more can you ask for)

Can't forget "Joliet " Jake and Elwood -- The Blues Brothers, Smokey and the Bandit and the Bad News Bears too.

I just turned 42 today, so I don't consider myself old, but I still like the classics from the 40's forward. Stayed up late during the summer watching old movies on OETA with my grandma and grandpa.

Danny Kaye's Inspector General, Gene Kelley Singin in the Rain, Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby in Holiday Inn (Christmas and Comedy what more can you ask for)

Personally, I like many movies and other things from ~1990 backwards in time. Any movie or music that survives beyond 20 years is destined to survive for all time. I pay small attention to anything that is more recent than 20 years old. A movie such as Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino would be an exception for me. Although, that is not a comedy, it is a clasic movie. If it is GOOD, you cannot deny it.

Anything newer than 1990 is up to discretion and I would not go to a movie theater to watch it or rent it on video until it has "matured". The last movie that I did go to the theater to watch was Star Trek, The Motion Picture, back in 1980 or so.

Sincerely, I don't get excited about movies very much until they have become a true classic and only after they have been proven to be good. I am still stuck on Gilligan's Island, Hogan's Heroes, Bewitched, Rawhide, Star Trek and TV series like these. Anything newer than this just ain't worth my time. It cannot hold my interest in the least because it usually isn't very good. Very few make it to the top of my list and none make it there in the first season, especially nowadays. Most shows have no potential whatsoever. I may be an old fuddy duddy on this subject, but I am right for my own pleasures. LOL! Only those of you who grew up in that time will truly understand me. I could have even been pleased to be born earlier in time.

I sincerely miss those days.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)