Best HDD for a 211?

Joe99

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Massachusetts
I have some 211's on the way. I am a little concerned about the HDD running 24/7/365 and therefore failing.
Any thoughts on the best HDD, considering that fact.
Does turning the HDD power switch to off cause real problems?
Is 1TB still the limit?
Thanks for any replies.

Western Digital 1 TB. I have 2 on the 622 and 1 on the 211. I've never had any problems. The Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 1 TB is the best buy. No problems with power off, I know I've lost power due to storms 6 or 7 times in the last 2 weeks.

That's what I have been using for about 2 months now with no confirmed issues**. Got a 1TB My Book drive for $100 at Staples (excellent sale!) just as the 5.24 SW version hit to enable the higher capacity, which is still the limit for one drive connected at a time. I too am concerned about the long-term life of this drive which was not designed for 24/7/365 use, so I'm not recording anything on it that is "irreplaceable" to me. (Using my 622 for that instead, like sporting events.) As soon as I see that price again I will buy another "just in case". (I think one of Murphy's Law's corrolaries says something like "if you have a spare you'll never need it...!") Mine is about 40% full at this time, mostly HD movies and regular programming, but I have a lot of junk to watch once and clear-off...

**I do have some issues that I only noticed after attaching the HDD, but I have not confirmed they are caused by that drive. On some talking head / news shows the scroll at the bottom seems to "stutter" a bit, and about 1x per day I see where the whole program locks-up for a couple of seconds, then the screen goes blank for a few more seconds, then the whole thing restores itself with no further issues and no action on my part. These things happen whether I'm watching recorded or live programs (???)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)