Best Internet Phone (VoIP) Services?

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
With my TWC promotion now ending, I am looking to cancel my home phone. I would like to keep some sort of phone at home so we do not have to use our cells for everything. I was thinking of simply doing some sort of VoIP service through my home network. What are the best services that are as close to free as possible?

Jason

I am looking at Ooma. This does seem like the best option for me (except for the upfront costs). Anyone use this? If so, how is it?

Nettalk = $29.99 per month, available at Wal-Mart now and does not require a computer. The device I think is around $69.99 and includes a year's service. Just connect it to your modem or router then plug your phone into the device. It gives you the option to connect it to a computer via usb port as well which would be great for travelling.

Perhaps you may want to check out the open source project asterisk. "PBX in a Flash" is a good one to start with. Their are several companies that offer inbound did's for less then 5 bucks per month and outbound is around 1cent per minute.

Look at MajicJack. It gives you an inbound number and unlimited calling to the US and Canada. You can pick the gadget up including the first year's service for around $45. Additional years are $19.95. They have numbers available in approx 200 area codes.

Currently for it to work you need to plug it directly into a USB port on your computer. Supposedly they are coming out with some additional hardware this year so you don't have to leave your computer powered up for it to work.

Works fine for me for voice calls but for data (fax, satellite box, etc. ) it is a no go.

Jim

I use Vonage have been with them for over a year. I was able to get the pice down to $12.50+ taxes for the next 12 months. This includes local and long distance and calls to the UK, Ireland, France and Spain.

With my TWC promotion now ending, I am looking to cancel my home phone. I would like to keep some sort of phone at home so we do not have to use our cells for everything. I was thinking of simply doing some sort of VoIP service through my home network. What are the best services that are as close to free as possible?

Jason

Did you contact Crime Warner?? At least in this part of the country, they are trying very hard to retain business. They might even reup your promo. Right now they are constantly offering everyone free dvr for a year. My promo ends in August, however they have me backed in the corner for high speed internet, being the only provider available, so I will be stuck with them for atleast service.

Did you contact Crime Warner?? At least in this part of the country, they are trying very hard to retain business. They might even reup your promo. Right now they are constantly offering everyone free dvr for a year. My promo ends in August, however they have me backed in the corner for high speed internet, being the only provider available, so I will be stuck with them for atleast service.
I use them for internet and phone only. I was thinking FiOs for internet and VoIP for phone. Now I am thinking of keeping them for internet still as their 15 mbps plan (even though I constantly get over 30) is cheaper than FiOs 15 mbps. Since my promo ends in a month, my bill will go up $12. I want to drop my $30 phone service, since we never use our home phone anyway, and just keep a simple internet based phone for the few times we do use it.

I had packet8 and never had any problems out of them. Just don't need a home phone anymore so I canceled it.

Look at MajicJack. It gives you an inbound number and unlimited calling to the US and Canada. You can pick the gadget up including the first year's service for around $45. Additional years are $19.95. They have numbers available in approx 200 area codes.

Currently for it to work you need to plug it directly into a USB port on your computer. Supposedly they are coming out with some additional hardware this year so you don't have to leave your computer powered up for it to work.

Works fine for me for voice calls but for data (fax, satellite box, etc. ) it is a no go.

Jim
I will not touch Majic Jack. Just going to their website gave me spyware. I can only imagine what will happen when I install their software.

I will not touch Majic Jack. Just going to their website gave me spyware. I can only imagine what will happen when I install their software.
You don't have to use their hardware.
It is standard SIP. And there are ways to sniff the SIP credentials including password.
The moment you have it you can use any softphone and/or SIP phone.

Diogen.

Ooma is awesome! I switched one year ago today and I could be happier with their service. When I go to Aruba for my annual vacation, I take my box with me and make and receive calls just like I'm at home. If my internet connection is out, the calls automatically forward to my cell. You can also integrate it with Google Voice.

I think I am going to try Nettalk. As of now I am not able to justify forking over $200 upfront to pay for telemarketing service (90% of the time our home phone rings it is telemarketers).

Can you plug the phone line from the Nettalk Duo to a phone jack to power all of the lines in your house, or does it work with one phone only, directly plugged into the duo?

You don't have to use their hardware.
It is standard SIP. And there are ways to sniff the SIP credentials including password.
The moment you have it you can use any softphone and/or SIP phone.

I have a buddy who did that and is using his asterisk box with mj sip and is very happy with the results.

I don't think mj will be around that long once they change the laws and stop phantom call dumping.

I would go with ooma. I have had it about 4 months and love it. You have to wait until Best Buy has them on sale for $199.99.

I would go with ooma. I have had it about 4 months and love it. You have to wait until Best Buy has them on sale for $199.99.
Which is still too much money upfront. I am trying to save money. I currently paying $360/year for my phone. Ooma will cost me more the first year than what I am paying now.

Voicepulse is and has been rated one of the best for years. I have had them several years now. Just take a look at the features they give you on their website. It's $15 a month, unlimited calling local, which is usually a much bigger area than traditional phone service calls local. (For me it's my whole State!) and 200 minutes long distance.

I also use Magic Jack, you can knock them all you want, it is very reliable, I can use it anywhere I am with an internet connection. I have had zero problems using it.

Voicepulse is and has been rated one of the best for years. I have had them several years now. Just take a look at the features they give you on their website. It's $15 a month, unlimited calling local, which is usually a much bigger area than traditional phone service calls local. (For me it's my whole State!) and 200 minutes long distance.

I also use Magic Jack, you can knock them all you want, it is very reliable, I can use it anywhere I am with an internet connection. I have had zero problems using it.
Thanks, I'll look into Voicpulse.

BTW, my local area for them is about 1/8 of my state

I have Lingo, it is 21.95 a month and includes all USA, Mexico, Canada and about 80 other countries. With tax its about $28.00. That is cheap compared to Vonage, Comcast and others. I have had it for 4 years and have had absolutely no problems.

Woot! has an Ooma Telo for $130 last week. I only paid $160 for mine.

Ooma also has blacklists, both community and personal. I hardly ever get a telemarketer call any more. If I do, it takes two seconds to add that caller to the blacklist. There are also some cool features like the BlueTooth adapter that allows you to ring your cell phone through the phones connected to the Ooma adapter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)