Best looking Discs

Spin

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 28, 2004
State of Confusion
Ok guys, question for you. I want your opinion on the most visually impressive Bluray and HD DVD discs on the market. I now have both players I can use so I want to see the best of both formats. Suggestions?

I can only comment on HD-DVD. But so far my standouts are

Seabiscuit
Mission Impossible 3
Aeon Flux
Phantom of the Opera (TrueHD!)

To be honest, most of them really look good. Only the 1080i titles that I have seen have disapointed (Perfect Storm, LW1, LW2).

-John

Last edited:
Batman Begins is a definite must see. I was in awe when i watched it on HBOHD the first time. The HD DVD blew me away!

It's not HD unless its true HD!

Blu-Ray discs with outstand PQ:

Tears of the Sun
Monster House
The Brothers Grimm
Eight Below
Dark Water
Haunted Mansion
Mission:Impossible III
X-Men 3
Kingdom of Heaven
Blackhawk Down
Enemy of the State

I could go on...

I dunno. Doesn't sound like Haunted Mansion got a very good PQ review. http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/hauntedmansion.html

Also, the last 4 movies haven't been released yet (not saying they are not going to have good PQ or not, tho).

-John

I'm a Blu-Ray and HD-DVD reviewer for www.hometheaterforum.com. I've reviewed several of the discs I listed and I've viewed them all. The Fox releases that street next week are all very, very good. The Haunted Mansion does have a few minor flaws, but, over all, it is an excellent transfer.

Also, Highdefdigest.com is still using the Samsung Blu-Ray player for their reviews. The Panasonic that I use for reviews cures many issues caused by the inferior Sammy.

Last edited:
King Kong on HD-DVD once they reach Skull Island is what use as a demo at my house. The Kong vs T-Rexes sequence was a huge hit on Thanksgiving.

HD DVD:

1. King Kong (I also agree with above post "Kong vs T-Rex")
2. Fast and the Furious Tokyo drift
3. Chronicles of Riddick

I watched Doom but it looked like a Blur-ray disk.

Blu Ray

1. Black Hawk down looks like a HD DVD movie really clear and sharp. I just don't like the movie.

I have only watched four HD dvd's and Four Blur ray. I will watch three more HD DVD in the next two days.

The Hulk is being rated as the best looking disc of any format. http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/hulk.html

Just ordered The Hulk from Amazon after reading the review. I've never seen the movie because of poor reviews I've read. But HighDefDigest gave the movie itself a fair reveiw, in addition to 5 stars for video & 1 1/2 star for audio. Should be an entertaining movie.....

Batman Begins and Transformers look great to me. I agree that the Skull Island sequences from King Kong are fantastic.
I've read that the picture quality of Hot Fuzz rates high, but I haven't watched it yet.

Hot Fuzz
Bumping this thread also...

Holy Thread resurrection! :eek:

I started reading the thread from the beginning, not realizing it started in 2006, and saw jgantert's comment that X-men3 & Kingdom of Heaven BD hadn't been released yet, and started scratching my head, then saw the date. :p

Best looking discs -
For newer releases:
Transformers, The Hitcher, Seabiscuit, The Matrix Trilogy, Planet Earth, Batman Begins to name a few

For older movies, kudos for the restoration & HD transfer:
Casablanca, The Searchers, Wyatt Earp, Viva Las Vegas, Jailhouse Rock, A Room with a View

I certainly don't have any technical expertise, but from my own point of view, Flyboys and Meet the Robinsons look fantastic on Blu-Ray.

I'm waiting to get time to watch Transformers (HD) and The Great Raid (BD) to see how they look.

I've got Superman II on BD and was a little disappointed with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)