Best Remote to Use for Voom and my HT???

Anyone familiar with the Kameleon? Will it work? I wouldn't want t spend $200 again and have my kid drop the thing and break it again.
It seems that the Kameleon might do the job for less.
Any thoughts?

Voom Reciever and 4dtv Reciever use same remote codes

I just installed Voom a few days ago. I also have a Motorola 4dtv (c-band) 922 reciever in the same room. They use the same remote control codes. Is there a way to change to Voom remote codes?

This has been covered, the only way I got it to work was to cover the front of the 4DTV display with tape, cover the front of the 4DTV UHF/IR remote with tape, and use the Voom remote for Voom and the 4DTV remote for C-Band

eddiew said:
I just installed Voom a few days ago. I also have a Motorola 4dtv (c-band) 922 reciever in the same room. They use the same remote control codes. Is there a way to change to Voom remote codes?

All you have to do is change the address of the 4DTV. It's covered in the 922 manual. My 4DTV and VOOM are working in harmony. In fact, my 4DTV remote is delegated to controlling VOOM in my rear play room via RF.

To change the address of the 4DTV:

1. Turn it on
2. Push the up and down buttons on the front panel of the receiver at the same time.
3. The display will show "Ax" where 'x' is 0,1,2, or 3.
4. Use the up and down keys to cycle between the different codes.
5. Press ENTER.

To set the remote to the same address:

1. Push the SAT button until all the lights flash.
2. Enter 0 0 x (where 'x' is 0,1,2, or 3 as above).

I still don't know if VOOM's STB has discrete codes for power on/off, and I am pretty sure, that my Toshiba DVD player doesn't have them. Fortunately, for Harmony this is not important. Harmony remotes do take advantage of discrete codes whenever they are available, but they can easily do without them too, thanks to the SST.

Remembering the status of power on/off works as long as there is not a power interruption or someone turning a unit on or off without using the universal remote. It can be frustrating when you rely on a remote to take care of these functions and then one day the system isn't operating properly.

An alternative is to use current sensors on the line cords for those units that do not have discrete power on/off commands. Crestron systems, for example, can read the current sensor status and adjust its logic accordingly (the downside is of course the additional cost).

rzuch said:
Remembering the status of power on/off works as long as there is not a power interruption or someone turning a unit on or off without using the universal remote. It can be frustrating when you rely on a remote to take care of these functions and then one day the system isn't operating properly.
With Harmony it's actually pretty easy and fool-proof. You simply press the Help button and a small wizard will walk you through by asking simple questions like "Is your TV on? Yes/No"
An alternative is to use current sensors on the line cords for those units that do not have discrete power on/off commands. Crestron systems, for example, can read the current sensor status and adjust its logic accordingly (the downside is of course the additional cost).
Does that work with STBs? (They are alway on, and consume power even in stand-by.) Also, how about input selection for TVs and receivers? Can Crestron figure out which input is currently active?

I will go with a universal remote later after the DVR is out - but for now where can I get another Voom remote? I want to control it from another room via infrared repeater but need another remote so I don't have to carry it back and forth. Thoughts?

Harmony Remote

I got Harmony Remote last week and this is the best remote I ever had, it is Activity based, no codes to enter ( you configure it on the internet by brand and model and then download info to your remote trough USB cable).
It took some time to configure but it now controls everything, even my Prosonic DVD which was not in their database and I had to teach command from original remote. Once devices are added, you then program activities online, such as 'Wath the DVD' or 'Watch VOOM' or 'Listen to CD' and assign them to remote's hardware or lcd buttons. This basically same as macros in other remotes, but much easier to program and use.
It is ergonomic ( shaped as TiVo remotes), got an LCD and it is basically the best thing since sliced cheese ( or bread ). I did not read all the posts in this thread, so please forgive me if someone already mentioned this remote here.
Since the programing is internet-based , you can even play with your remote setting while you at work, then come back home, download new settings and see how it works.
It also downloads programm schedule for your favorite channels and shows it
on remote's LCD screen.

Does that work with STBs? (They are alway on, and consume power even in stand-by.) Also, how about input selection for TVs and receivers? Can Crestron figure out which input is currently active?

Yes, the current sensors are adjusted for the appropriate threshold for the Off state (less current) and the On state (more current). For input selection, if the device does not accept discrete commands to specify the input, then you must set up the touchpanel to ask the user which input is selected in the event the last input selected has been inadvertently changed.

What Crestron does not offer is an IR only remote. All of their remotes & touchpanels transmit RF to a controller, which in turn controls the equipment via IR, RS232, and switch closures. Also, two-way touchpanels can receive and display information from the equipment.

Hmm... Interesting approach.

Ilya said:
Hmm... Interesting approach.
A friend of mine just tried to download the setup for the 688. It said that some of the voom commands will have to be learned? is that correct? Can you post what modifications you had to do? Mine arrives tonight :)

It didn't ask me to learn anything, though I went ahead and learned some missing commands (e.g. "*" button which is not needed now, but might be needed in the future versions). I saw at least 3 different command sets for VOOM, all seemed to be ok, but not perfect: some button commands were missing, some were mislabeled, and some seemed to be "extra", like "PPV" command, that we don't have with VOOM. I think they are all derived from some older compatible equipment (e.g. General Instrument STB). I mentioned these issues to tech support. May be they have removed some commands from the list so that the next person would be asked to learn them anew(which is a good think, IMO). It's also possible that he simply picked/entered the wrong equipment model and the program haven't found it and asked to learn all the commands...

Has anyone in this remote discussion found a 2-digit code for power on/off? I found Motorola listed as 21 & 25 but that's for their VCR. Doesn't work on VOOM. Trying to program my Hitachi remote. (2001 model)

AMX has a 1 way RF Viewpoint panel that will also do 3 ports of 3rd party IR output. The VOOM remote has already been captured and is available. The new MVP 2 way wireless ethernet panels run on 802.11b and will also do 3 different onboard IR files. Both panels will work without the whole control system stand alone if wanted.

Found the code for the Motorola Voom Box. It's 48 and will work basic functions of VOOM but not complex menu system.(Works on/off, channels)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)