Best restaraunts to get barbecue

I'm not a fan of Famous Dave's. As Rocky said, I liked Bennet's back in Colorado, and a couple of local spots. Shorty's in Longmont used to be terriffic, but they sold the place and it went downhill fast.

I guess my favorite of all time is Luther's BBQ in Topeka. Used to go there when I was in the AF in the '60s, and I try to make it there every time I pass through. It hasn't gone downhill one bit in 35 years!

I have tried 3 or 4 places in Rockford and "we are not amused"

Smithfield's is pretty good for a fast food place. You can only find them in the eastern half of NC. In addition to the BBQ, they have some of the best fried chicken.

I do enjoy me some Smithfields when I'm down visiting a good friend.

I don't proclaim to be an expert in BBQ (though I long to be) but my most memorable 'cue was at Mac's Speed Shop in Charlotte. More meat then humanly possible for an almost impossible price. Cheap cold beers. Great atmosphere. It was heaven on earth. :)

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of Famous Dave's. As Rocky said, I liked Bennet's back in Colorado, and a couple of local spots. Shorty's in Longmont used to be terriffic, but they sold the place and it went downhill fast.

I guess my favorite of all time is Luther's BBQ in Topeka. Used to go there when I was in the AF in the '60s, and I try to make it there every time I pass through. It hasn't gone downhill one bit in 35 years!

I have tried 3 or 4 places in Rockford and "we are not amused"

jayn_j if you get to the city of chicago burbs you outta try unclebubs, it was actually in the Movie with Larry the Cable Guy "Witless Protection"
www.unclebubs.com Uncle Bub's BBQ in Westmont IL

Good fast food place in East Tennesse is Buddy's BBQ
Buddy's Bar-B-Q

Speaking of Kansas City, you ever tried Arthur Bryant's?

I asked several people that live in KC about which place to go for BBQ when I visited two years ago and I settled on Arthur Bryant's. Unfortunately (I hope I don't piss anyone off here) I was very disappointed.

First of all, we stood in line for over an hour. I was thinking, "great, this place is probably REALLY good if this many people are here." Well, it wasn't long before we were talking to everyone in line and virtually everybody was visiting from out of town. That set off a warning in my head. In my experience, going to the place where all of the tourists go is usually a sure let down...and this place was no exception. I can't say the food was bad...it just wasn't that good. The food was very expensive for what we got and there was nothing magical about the taste of the BBQ to me.

I didn't hate it, but I won't be going back.

I have three to throw in.

Two are in memphis or close by. The first is The Germantown Commissary. My FAVORITE place to eat when I am up there. BBQ nachos.......

Another is Rendevous in downtown. Very good dry ribs.

There is also a place in Orange Beach, alabama. I know, odd to have a good BBQ place in a seafood haven, but its GREAT. I have only eaten there once, but I will be back. Its called Moe's.

Huff and Puff in Waynesboro, Ms. Had to throw in a plug for a local place. Very good ribs, GREAT potato salad!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)