Big BLIND SCAN problem --- SV360 Elite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Desertnight

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
Up in the sky, out of the way
Yesterday, I tried blind scanning GB (97W/ Galaxy 11/Galaxy 17) for C band channels.

The Blind Scan started okay, but about 57 seconds into the scan the blind scan screen suddenly reverts back to the DISH SETTING screen. I could not even exit out of the Dish Setting screen.

The SV360 had locked up, froze. Soft reboot had to be done. So, I tried the blind scan three more times having the same result each time.

The SV360 is slaved to a Motorola 922. The 922 was sitting on a channel (GB satellite) that has 100% signal and 95% quality.

The SV 360 Elite has the original factory firmware loaded. I have never updated or changed the firmware since buying the STB about 2-1/2 - 3 years ago brand new.

I last used the blind scan function about 3 months ago, and it worked perfectly.

I also tried blind scanning two other satellites with the same results: locked up/froze. Soft reboot done.

I began checking out other functions: adding a tp, renaming a channel, moving a channel, scan tp, scan sat, deleting a channel.

Results:

• Adding a tp: could enter the information but the new tp was not put into the TP list.
  • Renaming a channel: worked just fine.
  • Moving a channel: worked just fine.
  • Scan TP: Did not work.
  • Scan Sat: Did not work.
  • Deleting a channel: worked just fine.
The SV360 Elite Version: Boot loader 01.00
Main Software 01.07

I really don't want to do a factory reset cause I'm not sure exactly what will happen other than the slate is wiped clean, and I have to start all over again. Plus, the blind scan still may not work.:confused:

Is there some way I can save my settings and/or channels on a stick? Then maybe do a factory reset? Then reload my info?:confused:

Or, is there an update to the firmware that might correct the glitches without losing my information?

Or, if I were to reload the original firmware, would the info be saved or would doing this be just like a factory reset?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

On my receivers, or the two I use most of the time, you can reload the firmware without wiping out the stored channel info, but some may not work that way. Sounds like yours has corrupted firmware, or memory overload. You might go through the list of tps on the satellites you're trying to scan, and see if there are a lot of old,unused transponders hogging your memory. If you stored the info on a flashdrive or something, it would likely store all those old tps also, so a factory reset might be the solution. If it has worked ok, being slaved off the 922, for a long time, then that doesn't sound like a cause, unless some kind of switch problem has developed.

I don't have that model, but I'll give you two guesses:
- memory overload, just as Turbosat has suggested. Delete some transponders (or satellites) to see if it helps.
- bad power supply or filter capacitors on the main board. Open the receiver and look for leaky capacitors.

Like others said, memory overload, that receiver was made for one reason, to steal providers programming, it does not have a lot of memory or a fast processor, it is a very poor choice for fta

If you wish to continue useing it I would recommend a factory default, then use the "cleaner" file on it, then load or reload the latest factory software

Last edited:
Thanks ya'll for giving me something to think about and check out.

I had not heard of tp overload before. However, the thought is definitely worth looking into on my end. So, perhaps part of what is being said to me is that in addition to the tps that came standard in the firmware that more tps were added to the memory because of blind scanning and therefore causing an "overload"???.

I'll look inside the box and check for leaky capacitors. That's a possibility, too. Cause, come to think about it, a power surge happened here about two-three weeks ago. The SV360 was plugged into a wall socket and not a surge protector. There are so many wires and plugs involved in my set up (I know ya'll understand completely), that the only socket available at the time was the wall for the SV360. But, now a sacrificial DVD player is plugged into the wall and the SV360 plugged into the surge protector.

I studied for months about FTA and the receivers available prior to buying the SV360 Elite. SonicviewUSA recommended that I start checking out the forums for more information about their receivers, etc. Some of the questions I had about FTA receivers, in my ignorance, resulted in a couple of distributors I had called telling me they could not answer those questions and to go to the forums. So, I started going to the forums and as one guy said (at another forum) read, read, read, til your eyes bleed.

I bought the SV360 because of the dual tuners and a couple of other features. Not because of its ability to steal signals. That's why I still have the original firmware with no add-ons. I have plenty to watch without stealing.

Boy...I tell you what!! What I did find out after the fact (after buying the unit) was amazing. Go figure.

The satelliteguys site is the best site I have seen for helpful information. And I've been to quite a few. I like the new downloads section. I've looked at it already. It's very impressive.

Nevertheless, sometimes I feel that I'm still barely above a beginner after almost three years.

I'm still open for any other suggestions about the blind scan problem.

I'll let ya'll know what I find out after checking out the tps and capacitors.

I studied for months about FTA and the receivers available prior to buying the SV360 Elite. SonicviewUSA recommended that I start checking out the forums for more information about their receivers, etc. Some of the questions I had about FTA receivers, in my ignorance, resulted in a couple of distributors I had called telling me they could not answer those questions and to go to the forums. So, I started going to the forums and as one guy said (at another forum) read, read, read, til your eyes bleed.

You were probably asking your questions on the wrong forums, aka pirate "fta forums"

When you ask the question "what fta receiver is the best one to buy" on a pirate forum, that question is taken as "which receiver is the best for stealing providers signals",

The people on pirate forums do not even know what REAL FTA is, fta to them is satellite piracy, and when you purchased your sv elite it was one of the best units for doing that,

having said all that....the sv elite is not as bad as i might have made it out to be....it does have some nice features....one of the features i like is you can select a "step" size from 1-5 when fine tuning your motor positions....the true dual tuner is also very good....and the menus seem very nice and user friendly....do a factory default and reload the software and you should be good to go....delete all of the TPs on satellites that you are not using....this clears up more memory....

Like others said, memory overload, that receiver was made for one reason, to steal providers programming, it does not have a lot of memory or a fast processor, it is a very poor choice for fta

If you wish to continue useing it I would recommend a factory default, then use the "cleaner" file on it, then load or reload the latest factory software

I disagree. I used my 360 Elite for more than two years for FTA. One tuner for C band the other for Ku, both motorized. The motor control was excellent and the blind scan decent. If you can live without HD this receiver works just fine for FTA. Oh, and I didn't appreciate how easy this receiver was to use until I got an Azbox :D

I did have the same problem once described in the OP. I did a software re-install to fix it, ie: lose everything.

I thought the 360 elite was decent for FTA. I know the 360 Premium is a bad option...blind scan is HORRIBLE on it

Well, the blind scan is working properly now as are the other scan functions, etc.

What I ended up doing was downloading the files from the satguys download section, taking those files out of the group that I thought would be useful and storing them on my computer.

I first loaded the firmware version 01.07 and did not lose my channels. I did notice that the SV did put a channel folder on the USB stick automatically. But, the end result was the blind scan did not work still.

So I then loaded the firmware version 1.111. The SV put another channel folder on the USB stick. After reboot, a diagnostic screen showed up which would have allowed me to check various items on the SV. However, I exited.

I did not reload the channel folder to the Sv. Oh, duh.... So what I ended up with was NO CHANNELS. Might as well have done a factory reset in the first place!

But I did get some new features and apparent upgrades with the version 1.111.

Blind scan and everything else works very well right now.

Well, I learn something new every day. Read alot, learn a little, but hands on is the best teacher.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts