Big Screen Dilema

djjsin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
Hey guys, I Currently have a Mitsubishi WS-55511 Big screen TV. It has no DVI/HDMI ports which is really concerning me. I payd 2699 for it about a year ago

I have listed it to sell, and have recieved offers for $1600. I'm trying to decide if I want to get rid of it, and get a DLP system. I'm looking at the WD-62525 or the WD-62725.

Is it really worth it to lose the $1000 extra I paid for the TV, and upgrade to a DLP at this point in time? I'm concered that my TV will be obselete in 2 years when the HD DVD's come out, and part of me say's to get rid of it before that, cut my losses, and the other part of me say's to wait nad just buy a new one in a couple years. What do you guys think?

Issues involved: Space, Money and Viewing Preferences

If you're happy with your Mits, keep it and buy the DLP if possible. Your WS-55511 CRT is an excellent set and, with the exception of its large size, it produces a much better HD picture than current DLPs IMO. We have a Mits CRT in our HT room which we use exclusively for HD and DVD - wonderful experience. However, watching SD on this set is torture - so we don't do it.

I like the new DLPs and have decided to replace an aging 36" tube TV in our family room. The DLPs I have looked at (Mits, Samsung, Sony, etc.) work reasonably well for viewing SDTV and digital cable garbage - certainly much better than the WS-55511.

I wouldn't worry too much about your Mits becoming obsolete. I have firewire running out to a Cable HD/DVR (wish it were the VOOM HD/DVR) :confused: and to a D-VHS. Component cables are used to connect the VOOM STB, which looks fantastic when viewing HD material (Tyson Fight, CBS Football, etc.). Components cables are going to be around for several more years.

I Agree The Best HD Pictures I Have Seen Are CRT Based. But From What I Have Seen At The Mall The SD Picture On CRT Rear Proj. SUCKS!

Yes it does... SD on my WS-65411 is nearly unwatchable, especially on channels with bad PQ to begin with like the Tennis channel on voom.

I may actually be getting a DLP set soon simply because of the size. I just moved to a much smaller place and the size difference between my CRT and the DLP sets are pretty substantial.

ya I know the components will be around for a while, but I've been hearing rumors that when HDDVD comes out, they will limit the 1080i signals to only the DVI. They will have component also, but those signals will be limited to 480p (because it could be easily copied at High Definition). I've also heard rumors that Direct TV will start this practice also (thank god i'm a voom customer). I went out the other day to find a DVD player that upconverts to 1080i, and unless i'm stupid, I could not for the life of me find a model that did this through the component. Everyone i looked at required a DVI input for upconverting, and through component it only supports 480p (what sucks is that one model originally did 1080i through component, but then after a firmware upgrade, no longer did). So this practice imo seems to already be starting.

If this is true, and I cannot get a HD DVD player to send a 1080i signal to my WS-55511, I will be truely pissed off, and consider the TV to be obselete.

I'd sell it. That $1600 offer for a set thats a 2002 - 2003 year product (were at the 2004 -2005 product year) is pretty good. Take it while you can.

The Zenith DVB-318 Is The ONLY DVD 1080i Player That Uses Component Output For 1080i Upconvert ALL The Rest Need DVI For 1080i

Holy sh*t your right. I read a review of it before were a guy said with the latest firmware, it doesn't display 1080i through component, but now there are many other reviewers saying they purchased it on 9/16/2004, and it displays 1080i through component. Kick ass!

I had same set i bought Mits 656813

I had the same set as you , i also paid about $2800 for it and sold it for $1400 because of the DVI issue. I bought a Mitsubishi Diamond 656813 and let me tell you althought the picture is worth it for the diamond series, DVI and component are almost the same. Wait a little, the HD DVD is still at least a year out and there will be boxes my third parties to convert DVI to component because a lot of poeple are in the same predicament we were in. DVI is nice with Voom, the picture is distinctly sharper, but wait a year for HD Dvd to come out and then sell your set. Let your money collect interest.

calikarim said:
....and there will be boxes by third parties to convert DVI to component because a lot of people are in the same predicament we were in.

Fat chance....well, legally at least.

I have the DVB 318 -- an excellent DVD player IMO and it does upconvert to 1080i through component. There is a very long string on this player at the AVS forum.

Samsung DLP is good

I'm with the other guys, if you can afford to keep your existing one, do. Otherwise sell it for what you can and get the DLP.

I'm really happy with the Samsung HLN617W 61" DLP. I got it at Abe's of Maine off the Internet at $3,065 plus shipping and insurance. Saved $1,400 off of Circuit City.

The native 720P resolution is exceptional. I tried the settings on the Voom box and went back to 720P. To me, it just looks better. It accepts 1080i and converts it to 720P. Although there are stories of higher resolutions coming, the cable and satellite guys haven't mastered delivery of 1080i let alone something higher.

ya i'm going crazy

ya i think i'm going to go with the DLP system, the lack of features of the WS-55511 is just driving me crazy. No 720p, no DVI or HDMI. God sometimes I wish I was just ignorant. Now the only thing I guess I have to be concerned about is if 1080p starts to be used, since I believe no systems currently out use that format.

Whats a good place online that I can purchase the wd-62725 through over the internet?

ya I think i've decided on the Momitsu

just trying to decide now if the extra $120 is worth the networking ability. lol

too many decisions lol

Hey, I just was looking at the Mitsubishi and I noticed this in the specs

Mitsubishi 1280 x 720p DLP™

Does that mean that these don't natively do 1080i? Just down convert it to 720p?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)