Birdog USB USB Plus 4.0 driver problem BSOD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

crawfrdb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
I have owned my Birdog USB+ 4 for a few years and am quite happy with it.

Now attempting to update the satellite list by usb transfer for the first time. It has never worked when attempted before (can't seem to establish a serial connection with the device).

Now I'm focusing on the matter until resolved.

I connected the Birdog to a desktop Dell PC running XP SP3.

According to the Birdog Manual, the OS should install drivers for a Birdog on initial connection. In my case, it merely indicated installation of a general USB Serial device at COM3 (OK, according to the docs). I rebooted the PC.

Next, I attempted to upload my new configuration file using a .exe generated from the birdog.tv web site (I have the correct Perfect Vision product for this config file).

When I attempt to upload the file to the device, I get "error - ack not received" error.

Next, I disconnected the device and uninstalled the drivers.

I then downloaded the USB drivers from birdog.tv, CDM_2.00.00.exe.
I unzipped them to a temp folder, reconnected the Birdog to the PC and re-installed the USB drivers a second time- this time pointing the driver installation to the folder containing the CDM drivers.

Now after initiating the config download, XP crashes (BSOD-Blue Screen of Death).
I have tried backing all of the USB driver files out of the PC and then re-installing the USB drivers automatically and I still get the BSOD.

Does anyone know how to correct this? Google and forum searching here finds no solution.

Thanks.

I fixed my own problem and thought I'd post the solution in case anyone else had the same problem (always the source of my own amusement- it is a sad but truth that I laugh at my own jokes, too).

I eliminated the XP OS crash/BSOD by noting that the driver file cited in the BSOD Windows blue screen was ftdibus.sys file. I compared the one in the \windows\system32\driver installed driver directory was 24KB in size. The one in the CMD driver installation folder was 47KB in size. I merely copied the 47KB version down to the windows driver directory and this eliminated the BSOD evertime I selected "Transfer" in the Birdog update application.

Next, I still had trouble eliminating the "error-ack" message cited above. I then changed the ComPort setting (pulldown menu in the Birdog update app) from COM3 to USB and the transfer proceeded normally.

I was unable to get the USB option under ComPort to work properly- assuming the USB drivers weren't initially installed at all and incorrectly installed through Birdog's CMD drivers initial install. The copied 47KB ftdibus.sys seemed to correct the USB driver installation and allowed the configuration upload..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Boxing 6/12/10 Iron Boy Calderon vs Iribe

My new Ku dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)