Black Bars at bottom of picture

cbras9

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Voom installer installed a 24 in dish I live in south Louisiana (terrible rain issues) Voom stated they dont have a 30 inch dish. Anyway I have only had the entire voom service 2 weeks I am now getting a black bar on several channels it varies 1/2 inch to 2 inchs wide at the bottom of the screen This is happening on all 3 of my TVS Can anyone tell me what is wrong I am afraid to watch any of these show as I dont want a burn in

Welcome to the forum!

Just on certain channels? Which channels/programs does this happen on?

What type of TV do you have? On the SD channels non premium there is a little black bar top and bottom. On premium channels (especially movies) the aspect ratio determines the movie. On OTA channels, the stations sends it as it. Most TVs have a way to zoom in the aspect ratio. But some don't depending on the TV input you are using.

no ryme or reason across the board on HD and Non HD on analog tvs and my hd receiver This is a solid blck bar at the bottom of the screen

When you see it, do you see it on all channels, or just on select channels?
Does it go from one side of the screen to other, or is it just a small area.
If this is a small area and it's on all channels, try pressing VOOM and then WATCH.
If this happens on select channels only, which channels?

No its not on all channels and stimes it shows on a channel other times it does not it goes completely across the screen Right now on channel 130 its a 2 inch line completely across the screen

"Oar" is original aspect ratio. Took me a while to figure it our as well but we have many videophiles on here!

Watching HDTV under lowering (rain promised!) Seattle skies,

P.S.: Hope others can help you out with your "black bar" problem. We haven't had that one.

I switched to 130 and it has the same picture format as other VOOM channels: nothing special. There are small bars at the very top and the very bottom, but you would only be able to see them if your TV set is calibrated to have 3% overscan or less. Most TV sets have 3-5% overscan and do not display those bars.

Is the bar at the very bottom of your screen? As if the picture is shifted up?

As I stated before this is happening on three different tvs 2 analog 1 65" mitsubishi dlp
i have had directv also hd cox cable none of this happened until the installer put up a 24 " dish last week

Channel 130 no longer has the bar now channel 127 and several Sd channels

yes the very bottom 2 inches wide completely across the bottom

cbras9 said:
Channel 130 no longer has the bar now channel 127 and several Sd channels
OK, I see it now!

Again that's the program. Once that program finishes it goes back to normal. Some of these programs when made do not completly fill the screen at the bottom. Do not know why but that's the program.

wow never saw that in 5 years of watching hd on directv or cable but glad its not just me thanks for the help

The program just finished. I can still see the same bar at the bottom. Ummm. I did not think it will stay after the program ended. Ok it went away after another segment. It looks like is more a problem with some segments. I never saw it this much so may be you are into something. I will let someone at VOOM know about it. It looks like it is noticeable into many segments. Thanks for posting. You are not going crazy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts