Block Buster vs Netflix

I'm in my two weeks trial right now. So far, so good. When I discovered all the old TV shows and Marx Bros. movies, I wished I had done it long ago.

As of this Spring some new LG TVs will be able to stream Netflix to them.

LG TVs To Add Netflix Streaming - 1/5/2009 6:46:00 AM - TWICE

Wondering if/when Blockbuster will start making deals like this?

And here's the answer

VIZIO

...but it's as part of a bigger initiative.
  • VIZIO's "Connected HDTV" Platform gives HDTV viewers unprecedented choice and access to Internet-based content streamed directly to their VIZIO HDTV without the inconvenience and expense of a PC or set top box.
  • VIZIO's "Connected HDTV" Platform provides a fully customizable and dynamic entertainment experience with built-in wireless (802.11n) to access on-demand movies, music, news, weather, sports, gaming and social networking services.
  • Content and service providers are rapidly expanding and now include Accedo Broadband, Adobe®, Amazon®, Blockbuster®, Flickr®, Netflix®, Pandora, Rhapsody® and Yahoo!®

Just for grins, I went to Netfilx and looked up The Dark Knight. In the synopsis pop-up, they already included Ledger's GG award from last night. They are on top of things.!!

Uhm, not that I expected much from blockbuster on this and I don't even have to go read the article to know the rest has to be crap if it can't even FF through the content already downloaded or let you rewind after you start watching before the download completes, but Engadet's spelling is a bit disappointing. :) Laff, they spelled it differently later in the title of the article and still spelled it wrong.

The phrase "unsuprisingly disappointing" seems like it should have read "Crap like we expected"

I was a big Blockbuster fan because of the movies that were included at their store. Since Netflix went in with XBOX with streaming certain movies, Netflix can't be beat. It really adds to the service. The movies aren't brand new but they have tv shows like CSI and Heroes available. I am currently watching Heroes from season 1 to the very last episode that was on this year. And they add new episodes the day after it airs on tv! Man it is good stuff. Most of the new tv shows stream in HD also.

Time to revive this thread? Well I signed up to give BB a try after Netflix has p***** me off over the past month-and-a-half with EVERYTHING being long to very long wait and taking up to a month to get a new release title. Coraline is available Very long on Net), Watchmen is short (long on Net), Echelon Conspiracy available (short on Net), Unborn is short wait (long on Net), Bug's life is short on both. The test is to see who can get me the titles the quickest.

S~

Oh yeah, and no BD access fee with BB.

Well, since I left netflix and went to BB, I gotta say things are much nicer*. It got to the point that netflix was taking 5 days to ship me the next movie and they weren't even new releases. I was on the 2 at a time plan with netflix and am on the same with blockbuster plus we get the in-store exchanges now. Can't say I really miss the streaming. It was nice, but end of the day, we just didn't use it much to think of it as a needed feature.

With 2 little girls they really enjoy going to the movie store when we do an in-store exchanges and they get their 99 cent 5 day rental from the kids section.

* by this I mean that blockbuster has really improved since I left them for netflix a couple years ago. I left blockbuster for the same reason I cancelled netflix. I couldn't get a movie to save my life and then the price increases started.

Last edited:
I walked into Blockbuster B&M with a exchange in hand on Tuesday and walked out with a fresh copy of Watchmen. I doubt folks with Netflix would be able to get a popular day and date release like that.

Well, so far BB's shipping seems slower than Net. Finally processed and shipped Coraline and Echelon Consiracy today. One is expected to arrive on Monday, and the other Tuesday? What's up with that?

S~

I have done no mail exchanges yet with BB, but I do notice that if I go after 3pm or so and do an instore exchange, they do not mail the next movie the next day, but the day after that. Not sure why that is cause it shows up immediately on my account that I returned it.

My BB dist center is in the same city as the netflix one was for me, so the actual in-transit time is the same for me.

Last edited:
I've been back with BB for 3 mo's now and its been a better overall experience than Nflix, especially after the BR price hike.

I usually mail back two on Monday, with Nflix they got them on Tues, but I never knew what I'd get (long waits and skipping movies)

BB sometimes checks movies in on Wed (2 days return instead of one), but Im consistently getting movies, even ones that say "long wait"

I'd say return/ship time can be a day slower than Nflix, but BB doesn't skip as many movies.

My BB center is in Richmond Va, same city as my Nflix center.

YMMV

Just the total access (it's an upgrade for me actually from only 3 before). The TA Premium accounts are still unlimited.

I am finding Netflix to be much quicker on processing and sending movies (those they have). BB has been taking their time. They received two movies on Monday, processed them both, only shipped one on Monday, shipped one on Tuesday (which I still haven't received). Netflix shipped HM on Monday, received Tuesday, watched, sent back on Wednesday, received and processed in by 6:00 a.m. pacific, new movie processed and mailed.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts