Blockbuster Online Service and Londonderry store news:

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonghornXP

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Edit....My local store didn't provide me with the correct information so after calling the Blockbuster Customer Media Relations department I got the full details for you. First all online plans will work with this new Total Access system at no extra cost. This is the way it works. You still rent online as you do today so that hasn't changed. Now with Total Access instead of mailing your DVD movies back you can now drop them off at your local blockbuster store and get a free DVD rental. You can only get one free in store DVD rental per returned "mail only" DVD and it must be done at the same time.

The two benefits to this is that by returning the mailed movies to the store they will be scanned as received right away so the next movies in your online queue will be sent in the mail either the same day or the next business day. The second benefit is that you get the free in store rental but the in store rental terms still do apply such as due dates and the in store rentals must be returned to the exact same store you got it from. You cannot built free movies by not renting an in store movie at the time to check your "mailed" DVDs at the local store. These free DVD rentals "Do Not" count as part of your online plan (aka 3 at a time). So to make this all clear I'll give an example of what I can do with my 3 out at a time plan which is the 17.99/month plan.

I have 3 online "mailed" movies I just got done watching and want to return them now. I can still mail them which requires most likely two full business days to receive them and another two full business days to get my next three movies mailed in my queue.

With Total Access instead of mailing those three movies in I can now bring them to my local blockbuster store say at 10am. So I would find 3 movies in the store I want to rent. Once I found them I go to the counter and give them my 3 "mailed" DVD movies and they scan all three at which point their computer system allows me to get my three picked out in store DVD movies for free. So I now left my local blockbuster with 3 free in store DVD rentals.

Now while at the store when they scanned my mailed DVD movies those movies were flagged as received within the online blockbuster system and as I did this before 12pm my next three DVDs in my queue will be mailed out the same day and I most likely would receive them the next business day.

So using this system I could have my three new online DVD movies in the mail "while" also enjoying my 3 in store rentals in my home for 24 hours or so until they arrive in the mail. So after watching my brand new three online mailed DVD movies I can bring them back and do the exact thing again. The only limit is that I cannot have more than 20 total DVDs out at a time between the in store and mailed rentals.

Also if you get the 4 free movie ecoupons you will only get 1 per month now instead of four but they are good for the whole month. If you get the 2 movies/game coupon each month you will still get those two movie/game coupons plus a third monthly coupon good for a movie only. So if you have the two movies/games coupon per month you would make out the best.

So simply put your getting these two benefits below.

1. You have movies to watch while your waiting for your next movies in your online queue to be mailed.
2. Instead of wating at least 2 business days (1 day for BB to receive it and 1 day to mail the new ones) you most likely will get them the next day or the day after. Also lets be honest in that they seem to take 4 days for my next movies to arrive as it takes 2 business days for BB to get them and another 2 days for me to get them after mailed. So I have tried this system as I returned 3 online movies on the first of November when they opened at 10am and I got my next three online movies in the mail this morning so I went from 3-4 days turnaround to just one day or exactly 25 hours later. I dropped them off at 10am and my mail lady delivered my mail at about 11am so I'd say 25 or so hours turnaround is worth it considering how close my local blockbuster is.

Last edited:
I was reading the stuff on blockbuster about this today. I did not get all that out of it, though. It mentioned nothing about taking away the coupons. I use the coupons for situations where my wife really wants a new release, but our 3 movies are out--either at home or in transit.

I won't be returning any movies to the store. The whole point was to avoid driving 20 minutes each way. Even if I am going to town anyway, it necessitates a second trip.

Besides, the blockbusters here are franchisees, and as a general rule of thumb, they suck ass.

i signed up yesterday.

from what i understand and read of it. you can take your movies back to a particpating blockbuster. you will get one movie rental per movie you turn in from the mail order service. the will also update the system to have your next movies from online be shipped. you can not build up credits of free movies. you have to use them as you turn in your online movies.

It's a good deal, I signed up 3 weeks ago and this option is nice, if you can take advantage of it, best part is I use online for TV series and the store for movies, I think I can do more than 6 a week, you must go in store and credit is issued before 12pm after 12pm it will be credited next day 12pm, so if you can go early your next dvd on Que will be sent faster.

Ok, here is the downside.....I just looked at my account online.

They only give you one eCoupon a month now....

The envelopes actually have a barcode, they scan like a coupon when you bring them into the store.

Here's the downside.....You do NOT get a new envelope if you return a movie to the store and get a movie in the store! The coupon/envelopes only come when you get movies shipped to you.

So, as an example, you return 2 movies from online to the store and get 2 in-store movies for free. That's fine. But when you return them, you DO NOT GET 2 MORE FREE MOVIES, since they were in-store rentals, hence no envelope.

My plan is 2 movies a month. So I usually kept the 2 online ones and used the coupon weekly for a 3rd movie from the store.

So, in essence, they've added convienence, but pulled from you a few free movies a month because you do not get new weekly coupons for in-store free rentals.

Clear?

That's what i was thinking too.
Now, with that does it mean when you return the movies to the store that you rented from, do you automatically get the next movie from your online Que sent to you?

That's what i was thinking too.
Now, with that does it mean when you return the movies to the store that you rented from, do you automatically get the next movie from your online Que sent to you?

yes, unless you get movies from the store.

So, in essence, they've added convienence, but pulled from you a few free movies a month because you do not get new weekly coupons for in-store free rentals.

Clear?

Here's the Upside
Before you got one e-coupon per week, you are on the 2 out program so now you will easily get 2 free rentals per week at the store. oh scratch that I see your on the 2 a month program, so in your case it doesn't help, you could switch to unlimited.

If you receive a movie and return it at Post office the next day, it still takes at least 2-3 days to get there, by returning at store you will save a day easily in transit time, and your next DVD will be shipped to you, this is going to speed up everything.

So you now will get your movies quicker and more free in store rentals.
It's almost to good to be true, the downside is more trips to blockbuster video, but if you manage your time and driving distance I'm sure you can be efficient like stopping on your way home from work.

Last edited:
here is what is said in the email sent from blockbuster.

Place the DVD in the return envelop and drop it in the mail. Once the DVD is received at our distribution center, we'll ship out the next available movie in your Queue.
Or, if you'd like a new movie right away, place the DVD in a return envelope and bring it to your local participating BLOCKBUSTER store where you can exchange it for a free in-store movie rental*. The next movie in your Queue will ship out right away and the store will even mail back your online DVD for you.

yes, unless you get movies from the store.

Nope. If you get a movie on your online queue in the store, it will STILL SHIP FROM ONLINE unless YOU MANUALLY REMOVE IT ONLINE.

The store rentals and Online rentals are in no way synced!!!!

Here's the Upside
Before you got one e-coupon per week, you are on the 2 out program so now you will easily get 2 free rentals per week at the store. oh scratch that I see your on the 2 a month program, so in your case it doesn't help, you could switch to unlimited.

No, I am on the 2 out program not 2 a month......

If you receive a movie and return it at Post office the next day, it still takes at least 2-3 days to get there, by returning at store you will save a day easily in transit time, and your next DVD will be shipped to you, this is going to speed up everything.

So you now will get your movies quicker and more free in store rentals.
It's almost to good to be true, the downside is more trips to blockbuster video, but if you manage your time and driving distance I'm sure you can be efficient like stopping on your way home from work.

But LESS in store free rentals, because I kept 2 from online and used the weekly coupon for a third, in essence. If you do in-store rentals, no coupon is given to you to get another free rental. If you return a movie through the PO, you get NO free instore rentals!

Well, I am thoroughly confused. I got an email saying they had shipped the shield season 2 disc 2. That caused me to do a big WTF because I just sent back season 1, discs 1 and 2. Apparently, somebody there screwed up somehow because now it says I have 6 movies out (WTF?) Hell, last week I got 3 in one day, and I still had one from the week before. Anyway, they got me for the disc I actually have plus Shield 1 discs 3&4, Shield 2 discs 1&2, and behind enemy lines 2. I guess I better stop screwing around with the one I still have and watch it, because they intend to make a couch potato out of me.

Now about this instore thing. It seems like there are 3 different versions here:

1) take dvds to store
a) get more dvds there or
b) have more shipped.

2)take dvds to store
a) get more dvds there and
b) have more shipped.

3) the following is an email I got TODAY from blockbuster:

Dear Chadwick,

Your complimentary upgrade to BLOCKBUSTER Total Access™ is here!

Now, in addition to the two movie/game e-coupons you receive each month, you can get unlimited free in-store movie rentals* at no extra charge. Yes, that's right, double your movies at NO EXTRA CHARGE!

When you're ready to return an online DVD, you can drop it in the mail OR bring it, sealed in its return envelope, to a local participating BLOCKBUSTER® store and exchange it for a free in-store movie rental.

Perfect for those times when your online DVD is damaged in the mail or when you simply change your mind, BLOCKBUSTER Total Access lets you walk in with the movie you've got and leave with the one you want – FREE!

This email leads me to believe they still give the coupons (how the hell do you guys get 1/week? I've been getting 2/month the whole time), and you can swap them out at the store, AND they still send you the next ones. (double your movies)

I'm beginning to feel a little like Rick Moranis in Spaceballs. "WHO!??!??! WHAT?!?!??!? WHEN?!????!?" during the VHS scene. LOL!

This is for chadzx11 and jbcheshire mainly but is good information for anyone. Only one version exists of this plan and its the following version quoted below.

"2)take dvds to store
a) get more dvds there and
b) have more shipped."

Now onto the ecoupon situation. The following applies depending on your current ecoupon type you receive.

If you currently get the 1 coupon per week every week which is only good for movies and not games you will now only get "one" coupon per month that will be valid the entire month.

If you currently get the 2 coupons per month which is good for both movies "and" games you will still get both coupons like normal so for those of you getting these coupons nothing will change. Once you add Total Access in addition to the two coupons per month you will "still" be getting you also would get one monthly in store movie only rental for free every month good for the whole month.

The envelopes you receive the movies will have a coupon on them for free in store rentals.

I don't like blockbuster online and going back to netflix anyway.

I tried this out today, but the DVD's haven't cleared my cue. The email read like they would be cleared off when they scanned it in the store (and the next movies shipped), and the receipt even says "customer cleared." Any ideas? should I do a "I returned the movie but it hasn't cleared my Q yet" report? If they don't clear until the store ships them back, then they could screw us over. When I first signed up, we got coupons for a discount on a used Dvd (sometimes even a free one), but they would not accept those locally.

I tried this out today, but the DVD's haven't cleared my cue. The email read like they would be cleared off when they scanned it in the store (and the next movies shipped), and the receipt even says "customer cleared." Any ideas? should I do a "I returned the movie but it hasn't cleared my Q yet" report? If they don't clear until the store ships them back, then they could screw us over. When I first signed up, we got coupons for a discount on a used Dvd (sometimes even a free one), but they would not accept those locally.

I've used it several times and it will take a day or so for the online account area to reflect that you returned them. But I can assure you that all my movies got shipped within no more than 24 hours from the time they scanned them at the local blockbuster store. In a couple cases I got the new movie before the old movie showed a status of returned. I understand the system isn't perfect in letting you know what is going on but I wouldn't worry about it. The system releases those scanned movies from the queue within the internal system but the external system takes longer to get updated. The internal system is what matters as that is what decides when and what you will get shipped while the external system is just an information based system just to provide you with an overview of what is going on.

All you must know is that after they scan the movies you don't need todo anything else except making sure you have enough movies in your queue that are available now to cover the amount you returned. So if you returned 3 movies just make sure you have three movies that are available now in your queue because if you have say only two you ain't getting a third movie for an obvious reason lol.

I hope this helps you out.

A month in, still the same. The blockbuster franchisee appears to be sitting on the online DVDs. I say this because I was in there on a teusday when they opened, and they had a bin full of them. No way that many was traded in over night. I've been giving them 48 hours and clearing it myself. Saving all reciepts where I turned those in to the store, too. Don't trust them.....

They found a new way to annoy me. Instead of sending the shield season 4, they skipped all of those discs and sent the next set on the list. WTF!?! The shield was getting good, and now I have to wait. This is the second time they have done this. The first time, it was ST voyager they pulled from way down on my list---they sent disc one of season 2. C'mon, there were 20-25 discs in front of that one. I counteracted that by cancelling all the ST voyager discs. I don't mind when they send movies, but I can't get involved in watching numerous seasons of a TV show when I am highly interested in the one at the top of the list. Grrrrr......I have the second disc of the new show they sent---thankfully, it was a one and done season series, so, hopefully I can get back to watching the shield. They need to hurry up and put season 5 out so I can be ready to go when season 6 starts!!!!!!!!!
Mackie rocks!!!!!!!!

Just adding my two cents on this-

I have had "Movie Pass" for over a year. This allows me to take out unlimited quantity of movies per month for a flat fee of $25; no more than two titles at a time. As I watch a lot of movies, this seemd like a great deal. The first month I rented $186 in DVDs for the flat rate of $25. Since the store is just a half mile away, and along the way for my daily travel, it's not a problem to stop by. When I travel, I don't rent but do take the last two with me and return when I get back. Never a late fee.
So now the local store manager has been riding my case about "upgrading" to this BB online total access. He says I didn't have to drop Movie Pass to add this online to my account. I put him through the gauntlet on sales pitch but the deal is, he gets a $40 bonus for everyone he signs up. That's why he pushes the new total acess so hard sell. Being the nice guy that I am, :) , I decided to give the 2 week free trial a go today.

So here is what I figured out so far...
Sign up was easy and I got the printed coupon as others have described. I then listed about 15 DVD's I probably won't bother to get daily from the moviepass, so when they come in, I can watch and return in store for the store free rental. (Please note that at this point I'm not sure where my time will come from as this could put me to over 4 movies a day by rough estimate)
Then I found out the SNAFU in this-
Not one of the movies I signed up for to put in the Que was "available" Said they may be available in 2-8 weeks! WTF???? So I added another just to test the waters, Finally I found a movie I had already seen, that is available now. It looks like I will be shipped a movie I will use in the envelop to return to the store to get one that is not available online for weeks to come but is available in the store now.
Friends, this is silly! It in no way is what my store manager claimed. I suppose if you don't watch many movies, it is a good deal. I suppose if you have the luck of wanting to watch what no one else does you can get those DVD's sent out as claimed, but for me, I'm thinking that this is just a big waste of money, a way to slow down my viewing cycle and ween me off their money losing movie pass.

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for the two weeks trial but I suspect that the online movies I'll get on this deal will be a few that I have already seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Movie Quotes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts