Blockbuster Video to Support Blu-ray

hah.. good ridance to HD-DVD... ;0 this damned war needs to end soon! ;0 Koodos to blockbuster for picking the clear winner!!!!!!!!! ;0

I do and it's straight from the COO from Blockbuster

MSNBC - Video Front Page

I like how the the reporter ask the guy supporting hddvd about the lack of support from movie industry and his response is well hd dvd has internet capablity in its spec so you can connect to the net???Way to dodge the question. Sorry but I want to watch movies not go on the net, play games, watch commentaries all that other useless bs, even on the regular dvd i never use them. just give me the damn movie.

He's covering his bases in case(will never happen) had to go back and add a full line of HDDVD.

You are still in denial. This has started a ball rolling with the media hoopla that will not stop over the next "12-18" mo's.

BR was late to the party, more expensive(still is) and is still outselling HDDVD 3 to 1. When Toshiba touts player sales numbers they dont acknowledge the PS3, which is one of the main reasons HDDVD is getting drummed right now.

Put em ebay while you can still sell em fellas.

I hope you like Crow 'cause you gonna be eatin' some.
This news isn't as big as you fanbois are makin' it.
Did you listen at all to the interview or are you like a woman and just hear what you want to hear?

I hope you like Crow 'cause you gonna be eatin' some.
This news isn't as big as you fanbois are makin' it.
Did you listen at all to the interview or are you like a woman and just hear what you want to hear?

I listened to it. Yes they leave the door open for HD-DVD just in case, but they saw greater demand for BD over HD-DVD in the 250 pilot stores. They were cautious to not declare BD the winner or HD-DVD failed. They want to be able to avoid any problems if HD-DVD suddenly catches on. Note they also said online AND the 250 stores chose to rent BD. Perhaps owners of PS3s see that BD logo and think about it when at the video store...

Quoted from Wiki:

"Fanboy is a term used to describe an individual who is utterly devoted to a single fannish subject, or to a single point of view within that subject, often to the point where it is considered an obsession"

Once again your way off, Im just seeing it for what it is and once again youre the ONLY one who isnt.

The battle heats up

Blockbuster to Expand Blu-Ray to 1,700 Stores

Company will continue to offer HD DVD titles online and in select number of stores

DALLAS, June 18, 2007 – In response to the growing demand for high-definition DVDs, Blockbuster Inc. (NYSE: BBI, BBI.B) today announced that it is rolling out an expanded Blu-ray disc inventory for rental to 1,700 corporate-owned BLOCKBUSTER® stores by mid-July. The Company will continue to offer both Blu-ray and HD DVD titles through its online rental service, Blockbuster Online - Welcome to Blockbuster, and will continue to offer both formats at its initial 250 stores that currently carry both high-definition formats.

"We intend to meet the demands of our customers and based on the trends we're seeing, we're expanding our Blu-ray inventory to ensure our stores reflect the right level of products," said Matthew Smith, SVP Merchandising for Blockbuster. "While it is still too early to say which high-definition format will become the industry standard, we will continue to closely monitor customer rental patterns both at our stores and online, so we can adjust our inventory mix accordingly and ensure that Blockbuster is offering customers the most convenient access to the movies they want, in the format they want."

When Blu-ray and HD DVD were introduced to the marketplace in 2006, Blockbuster began offering the high-definition formats on all titles in which it was available through blockbuster.com. The Company also introduced both formats on select titles in 250 stores in November of 2006. With Blu-ray rentals significantly outpacing HD DVD rentals at its BLOCKBUSTER stores, the Company made the decision to expand the number of stores offering the Blu-ray format.

With the expansion in July, the 1,700 stores will be carrying more than 170 titles in Blu-ray and will continue to add titles in the format as they are released from the studios.

"We are excited to be able to make more high-definition titles available to our customers in those stores where our research indicates there will be the most demand," said Smith. "Obviously, when customers are ready we can expand the Blu-ray offering into more stores and add HD DVD to more locations if that's what customers tell us they want. We'll continue to work with the movie studios to ensure we have the right assortment of products."

Blu-ray formatted titles are available from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Home Entertainment, FOX Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Lionsgate Home Entertainment, Warner Home Video, and Paramount Home Entertainment and can be played on Blu-ray dedicated players, Sony PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) or a Blu-ray compatible computer drive.

This has started a ball rolling with the media hoopla that will not stop over the next "12-18" mo's.

The media 'hoopla' hasn't stopped for the last 12-18 months; I have no doubt it will be hoop-la-la'ing along for another 12-18 months.

But, setting all the hoopla aside, this format "war" boils down to just one thing: Two companies battling for the royalty rights for the replacement of DVD. Neither format has any advantage to the consumer over the other. Yeah, blu-ray has more greater storage & bandwidth capacity. The greater bandwidth is only needed when using older codecs such as mpeg2 - for which Sony owns the majority of right, and that's why they built it into the BD specs. The greater storage capacity is negated by more advanced codecs with better compression. HD DVD is more advanced technologically with better software. But again, neither has an advantage to the consumer, it's just a matter of which mega-conglomerate gets the royalties.

BR was late to the party, more expensive(still is) and is still outselling HDDVD 3 to 1.

Actually only 2 to 1, at best. As of June 10, YTD Sales 67:33 in favor of blu-ray, week ending June 10 about the same - 66:34. But, hey - more is always better, right? :rolleyes:

When Toshiba touts player sales numbers they dont acknowledge the PS3, which is one of the main reasons HDDVD is getting drummed right now.

Yeah, and Toshiba also doesn't acknowledge the xBox HD DVD add-on, because they're talking about what the vast majority of consumers use to watch movies at home - a standalone player. And let's not even go into what a mess Sony has got itself into with the PS3, with sales dropping every month and Sony already mulling a price cut to save it, on a unit they already lose $200-$300 per unit on. PS3 sales lat month dropped to around 83,000 - about what Toshiba projects to sell in HD DVD standalone players per month in their recent drastically reduced projections.

Put em ebay while you can still sell em fellas.

As I said in my OP -

I haven't been inside a Blockbuster Video store since the previous millennium. And I love Netflix. But, anyway you slice it, not good news for HD DVD.

But I don't think it's quite yet time to queue the band for "Nearer my God than Thee". ;)

I own both formats, and with Warner's dual format releases of "Blood Diamond" and "300", I have the HD DVD version on pre-order - because for me, they're better.

Ill give ya the 2 to 1 because I was wrong.

As far as another 12-18 mo's, I doubt it really. Univ will go neutral before the end of the year, that will be the end. The blockbuster annoucnement that ran on every local news station last night will push the guy who did not know what to do towards BR.

I can't wait to hear the big BR annoucnement for tomorrow, hopefully itll be Spidey 1 and 2.

And let's not be gratuitously disrespectful toward women. I'm rather fond of them, myself.

I've been thinking about this, trying to figure the significance of it in concrete terms.

There's about 1,700 stores, and something over 170 titles to be carried in each store. Plus, there will be more releases over the coming months that will increase that number. Let's assume that on average, each store will have 3 copies of each movie. So this works out to 1,700 stores by 170 movies by 3 copies of each (on avg) or 1,700 * 170 * 3 or 867,000 copies. And let's say their online presence adds 25% to that total. That works out to over a million titles - all in Blu-ray.

It wasn't that long ago that each format touted reaching a million copies sold. Now we're looking at another million Blu-ray discs shipping to Blockbuster alone, over the summer and probably completed by Thanksgiving.

Granted, these figures are a SWAG, as is the timeline- but it can't be too far off. It's a million sales by Labor Day, or by Thanksgiving, or by Xmas. But it's a million sales, beginning July 1. This is a big deal, in disc sales alone, as well as exposure and the appearance of being the winner.

This one act by Blockbuster alone has doubled the sales of Blu-ray discs to date.

I wonder if Nielson includes sales to rental stores? If not, it might explain why the Blu-ray Association sales figures always seem a bit higher than Nielson reports.

Not sure where this came from...I guess I should read back farther...but, I agree...They are smooth, and soft...and they smell good!

"...or are you like a woman and just hear what you want to hear?"

From post #43.

Navy was referrring to this.

Oh, yup, they do that. But, that is okay, because they, well,,,as I said, kinda smell good.

I have been on the BD "side" from the beginning, self serving because I knew I was going to have a PS3 on release. That and the studio support. No one seems to want to make a huge declaration about this, but if we go back far enough, you could see that I posed the questions about the rental co's making the difference in deciding a winner. I for one have never understood the buying of DVDs, I choose to rent like god knows how many out there. I personally do believe that this is the tuning point, the path to the stab in the heart. This is HUGE, anyone that doesn't think so is in my opinion wishful thinking.

I just cant get over the fact people rabidly defend an inferior format.

Frack the movie portion of all this, why would you rather have a 30gig storage device than a 50gig.

Yeah, I know, Sony sucks and M$ doesnt.

Funny part is, if this were the other way around, Blockbuster stating the opposite and going with HD-DVD, the other side would be having a victory parade, and they know it!

It is a big deal. it is not the end of the war but it is silly to claim that every announcement favoring your format is significant and everyone favoring the other is not. blockbuster is the biggest cahin out there. they do not control the market but it is nws when the biggest chain makes a decision.
I agree. :(

So- no disagreement over my one million figure above? Where's Vurbano? ;)

I also agree with the last few posts. I still consider myself neutral because i do own and enjoy both formats. That being said, I am shocked by how increasingly irrational the HD-DVD crowd has become. Not just the blockbuster event but ever since Blu-Ray disc sales began to outpace HDDVD.

IMHO many in the tech crowd jumped on the HD-DVD wagon out of gate because intially the product seemed clearly superior. I know this because I was one of them! However, since then BD has made strides and is now on par with PQ/AQ of HDDVD and also has some advantages in other areas (studio support, capacity, blockbuster).

Initially I thought the irrationality stemmed from the fact that people were angry because they invested $$ in HD-DVD. Now I think the reason is simply that people are stubborn and don't want to be wrong. Well, get over it. I'm not saying everyone has to support BD but lets start using some objectivity.

/end rant

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)