Blocking Spyware

Status
Not open for further replies.

lefatman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Selbyville DE
I am on here several times a day and each time my Malware Bytes software pops up that it has blocked a spyware website. Anyone else seeing this ? It just did it again as I am typing. smartyads is the website.

It's likely this is on your computer not on the site. Google "smartyads"....

No in this case it is happening I have seen it myself. These ads are ads being served by Amazon's new ad network. I am told by them that this is a false positive and they are working on getting them cleared.

Reactions: ejb1980
Correct I have been seeing this also and narrowed it down to Satguys. I was gonna give it a few days and see what happened.

I see it daily on this site. Whether I use the app or website, every link gives me the same pop up. It also happens if I don't close the automatic ad when the app starts up fast enough.

I have only seen it since Thursday and reported it on Saturday. Again its a false positive. It it was real you wouldn't be able to get here as Google would red flag the site.

I've received a Firefox Security Warning that looks bogus to me. A screenshot is attached. It opens after loading a page with ads on satelliteguys.us, overwriting the satguys page with its page. I've received this same warning page twice in the past week.

Attachments

• HopperZoneVirus.jpg
    HopperZoneVirus.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 233
Funny you should mention that as I was going to engaget last night to watch the best of CES and was hijacked and it took me to a site to download a fake version of adobe flash.

I uninstalled both Flash and Java from my PCs a few months ago after constantly reading about security flaws in them for years. What has been surprising to me is that little, if anything has actually changed in my daily web browsing since removing them. Most places I visit are still able to display their videos and all that through HTML 5.

I also use the Pub Member exclusive "Fresh Blue" theme that doesn't have the ads built in when I visit Satellite Guys.

I've received a Firefox Security Warning that looks bogus to me. A screenshot is attached. It opens after loading a page with ads on satelliteguys.us, overwriting the satguys page with its page. I've received this same warning page twice in the past week.

I got this too. Glad I didn't fall for it.

Could the fake be a whole lot worse than the real thing in this case?
It depends; would you rather have your computer running code written by malicious hackers or incompetent hacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)