Blu-Ray pass through home theater?

bowens

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Florida
I am planning on getting a Blu-Ray player before Christmas. I have a Samsung 1080p DLP tv and a Samsung 5 disc dvd player/5.1 surround sound. The surround sound has 1 optical audio in which I am using now to hook up my Dish 622. I am trying to figure out how I could hook the Blu-Ray player as well. I know I could run one of the other using HDMI to the surround sound and then let it do the input switching, but I've thought of a couple problems doing it that way. If I hook the Blu-Ray player up that way then the max output would be 1080i right? Since it is being passed through the surround sound which has a max output of 1080i. If I hook the 622 up using HDMI to the surround sound, then the surround sound has to be on anytime we watch satellite. Is this right, or can it pass through to the tv without the surround sound being on? Any help would be appreciated.

If your receiver only supports 1080i video in HDMI then you'll be better off connecting the Blu-ray player directly to the 1080p HDTV (especially if it is a 120Hz model capable of native 1080p/24 display).

There's various switch boxes available to share a single input connection on a receiver. However, I'm kind of surprised that any HDMI-equipped surround sound receiver would have only 1 old school optical input. Most HDMI receivers I've looked at usually have optical inputs available for separate DVD player and Cable/Sat/DTV connections.

It only has 1 optical. I am definitely going to hook the Blu-Ray up straight to the TV so I can get 1080p. What about the other part of my question? Could I run the satellite through the surround sound without having to have the surround sound powered on? I don't want to use the surround sound every time we watch satellite. Actually, rarely do we use it watching satellite. Maybe for a movie or football game or certain shows.

Does your TV have an optical output and at least 2 HDMI inputs? If so perhaps you could run both the 622 and BD player directly to the TV via HDMI and do your switching there, then have a single optical connection from the TV to the SS/DVD player. The 622 and BD player will send 5.1 SS over the HDMI. The question then is whether or not your TV will pass those same audio signals through the optical connection to an external SS system. (I know both of my Sony TVs have optical outputs, but I honestly can't say whether or not they would pass a SS signal through from one of the inputs.)

That's a good idea. My tv has 3 HDMI inputs and an optical out. I think that may be my best bet. Thanks.

Glad to help! I have a similar situation in my "smaller" system and was exploring possibilities when that came to mind. My problem is that I only have a single HDMI input on the TV in that set-up. So something would have to give - one of the SS sources would necessarily be relegated to 2-ch only. I guess my best option there is to dump the 5-disk DVD changer for a low-price receiver like the Onkyo SR606. I could still use everything else in the system. That receiver is available as a refurb. for $250 or less...

Does your TV have an optical output and at least 2 HDMI inputs? If so perhaps you could run both the 622 and BD player directly to the TV via HDMI and do your switching there, then have a single optical connection from the TV to the SS/DVD player. The 622 and BD player will send 5.1 SS over the HDMI. The question then is whether or not your TV will pass those same audio signals through the optical connection to an external SS system. (I know both of my Sony TVs have optical outputs, but I honestly can't say whether or not they would pass a SS signal through from one of the inputs.)

The optical output on the set is for the internal TV tuner. Do you have a coaxial input on your reciever? You could hook up the blu ray coaxial or use one of these Digital Audio Optical Toslink 3-Way Selector Switch! - eBay (item 370104821090 end time Oct-30-08 18:24:14 PDT)

There is one potential drawback with the optical output on a HDTV set. Most automatically down-convert Dolby Digital 5.1 or multichannel LPCM audio to 2.0 channel stereo. Even my TV does it (a 52" Sony Bravia XBR4).

Yeah - That was what I was afraid of. Like I said, I also hadn't checked to see whether or not it would pass an audio signal from one of the inputs. Sounds like either way I'm screwed using the TV for the switching. So to preserve DD5.1SS for all sources for the OP and me, it looks like a receiver is the option. Maybe a newer HTIB has more capable inputs, but the receiver would still be a better option all around...

The optical output on the set is for the internal TV tuner. Do you have a coaxial input on your reciever? You could hook up the blu ray coaxial...
On this particular system there is no receiver, only a Sony "Dream" HTIB. It has both coaxial and optical inputs. I had to dedicate the optical to my 622 as it has no coaxial capability. But the coax input is still open, so I guess that's the answer for a BD connection. I assume that it's 5.1 capable...

On this particular system there is no receiver, only a Sony "Dream" HTIB. It has both coaxial and optical inputs. I had to dedicate the optical to my 622 as it has no coaxial capability. But the coax input is still open, so I guess that's the answer for a BD connection. I assume that it's 5.1 capable...

:up:up

The optical out on the TV did not work. I got nothing from it. As someone said earlier it is probably for the internal tuner but I don't have the antenna hooked to the tv just to the satellite. No digital coax on the SS either. I have a Samsung HT-TX72.

Yeah - Looks like we're both somewhat limited. For you I would recommend an inexpensive receiver, like the Onkyo I mentioned above. Use your existing speakers for now (I think the sub will have to be powered however) and connect the BD player and any future additions directly to the receiver...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts