Blu-Ray replication costs equal to HD-DVD?

"...The per disc cost of BD-ROM DL is approximately 15 cents more than the HD DVD DL cost...."

Wholesale, from this link. So if we take your five fold increase, wholesale to retail, that's 75 cents per disc.

From a link that is very unsubstantiated. Until it's validated it's nice reading material. Other reports have the price differential at the $1.00/disc number I was quoting.

Or looked at another way, as in my 2/12/07 post above, we're spreading out the increased cost of the BD replication plant at about a dime a disc.

Perhaps. But that remains to be seen. What will happen when the subsidies end?

When Sony stopped subsidizing SA-CDs for several major record labels they ceased production of new SA-CD titles. I don't think that will happen for Blu-ray but it might negatively impact the title cost.

Plus, from a purely manufacturing cost, the BD disc could be cheaper than HD-DVD, not considering the plant. One plastic layer, not two. Less alignment/glueing. Spray on a coating. Costs will come down anyway, as they gain economies of scale and learn new techniques. My point is, the mantra that HD-DVD is so much cheaper is a weak argument. It isn't, not in the long run, not significantly.

You can't divorce the cost of the plant from the overall delivered product. You can amortize it over a huge amount of discs but that's it.

Cheers,

Plus, the BluRay group is subsidizing costs to help the format get on its' feet. They won't keep spending that much money forever.....

Today, at 1:40 p.m., eproductwars is reporting that the average Amazon prices for Blu-ray discs is $24.80 & for HD-DVD, $29.10.

So much for HD-DVD being cheaper. And Blu-ray leads in all categories, except googles.

Today, at 1:40 p.m., eproductwars is reporting that the average Amazon prices for Blu-ray discs is $24.80 & for HD-DVD, $29.10.

So much for HD-DVD being cheaper. And Blu-ray leads in all categories, except googles.

If you look at the titles, you'll understand why.

1. HD DVD Starter Set including 'A View From Space' & 'New Orleans Concert 90.95
2. Planet Earth 69.95 (Available on both)
3. Mission Impossible 69.95 (both)
4. Sopranos Season 6 90.95 (HDDVD)
5. Harry Potter and the Sorcers Stone and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 68.99 and 65.00 Fake entries from a merchant. They are actually Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire which can be had from both xploited cinema and Amazon UK for half that.
6. Smallville Season 5 55.95 (HDDVD)
7. It's Pawsible 44.99 (HDDVD)
8. Forbiddden Planet Collectors Edition 41.90 (HDDVD)

The rest of both BR and HDDVD go down to normal pricing. Fox and MGM discs can be had for the same price as an HDDVD/DVD combo Disc 27.95.

S~

Wow. You certainly do your research. And it explains the price difference, for sure.

I wonder why DVE is available in HD-DVD, but not Blu-ray?

Let's see, there is the HD-DVD starter set and Forbbidon Planet Collectors and Smallville (Sopranos is on BD too) and because of these three titles the whole average for BD over HD-DVD is out of skelter? Teachsac, you need to go back to school and take up some basic math. Those three titles cannot swing that much differance over 200 titles prices being averaged released from both camps.:rolleyes:

Let's see, there is the HD-DVD starter set and Forbbidon Planet Collectors and Smallville (Sopranos is on BD too) and because of these three titles the whole average for BD over HD-DVD is out of skelter? Teachsac, you need to go back to school and take up some basic math. Those three titles cannot swing that much differance over 200 titles prices being averaged released from both camps.:rolleyes:

Totally uncalled for remark on your behalf. There are only 4 titles above 29.95 on BR. There are 9 titles above 29.99 on HDDVD including 2 fake posts which I mentioned. Yes Sopranos is available on both. I didn't list that. These other 5 titles are are called outliers which skew the averages. Yes I can do Math and teach Math.

Eproductwars goes by Amazon listed titles. Forbidden Planet Collectors Edition and Smallville ARE NOT listed on Amazon's website even though they may or may not be available on BR.

As of today, the numbers have self corrected. 23.60 for HDDVD and 19.00 for BR. Take out the outliers and the avg price drops to 21.88 per title. I'd be happy to do the same for BR once the sale is over.

Please take into account, there are 47 BR titles titles that are 50% off MSRP.

Next time follow up before making any rude comments.

S~

P.S. Forbidden Planet is not available on BR according to Warner's Website. It might be on the To Be released list, but it is not available now. Explains why it's not on Amazon's website.

Last edited:
Amazon Lowers Prices on Select Blu-ray Discs to 50 Percent Off List

source: HIGH-DEF DISC NEWS

Conveniently timed to coincide with this week's dry spell of new high-def disc releases, Amazon has listed nearly four dozen Blu-ray titles at 50% off list price.

The list of 47 total titles includes selections from Sony, Fox and Magnolia, includes such high-profile (and well-reviewed) discs as 'Kingdom of Heaven,' 'Black Hawk Down,' and 'Ice Age - The Meltdown.'

While most titles sold by Amazon are typically sold as pre-orders at up to 32% off list, this is the first time we've seen the e-tailer offer high-def discs at such a signicant discount, with prices on the sale titles ranging from $13.49 to $19.97.

As several of our readers were quick to point out, the sale is already having an affect on the sales rankings tracked by sites like HDGameDB, where the sale titles currently represent 9 out of 10 of Amazon's best-selling Blu-ray discs.

No word on whether the HD DVD camp has a similar sale lined up, or whether this sale might instigate a high-def disc price war -- as we write this, HD DVD discs are still being sold at Amazon at their standard 30% off list.

Clearence Sale - get 'em while you can!
:rolleyes:

PS Joe,

Smallville is not on BD right now either. Checked Amazon, Warner Home Video, DVDTown, and the BR list of titles in the BR thread, etc. Not saying it won't once Warner releases the rest of their catalog.

S~

Hey there's something, can we get the HD DVD sale totals to include total DISCS sold... that might help the numbers get closer ;)

Hey! Discounted BD movies -- about time, lets see how many Amazon can sell at decent prices. Who wants to pay $30 when you can pay $15?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)