Bluefield/Beckley DMA on Dish - any updates?

dntc0x

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 30, 2009

My parents have directv, and got these DMA locals on this week. Here I am on Dish, but no locals yet.

What happened with DISH? Early on, it seemed that they'd get this DMA first, but I guess John Malone outfoxed Charlie Ergen...again.

Seriously, has anyone got any new info? If you write and ask Dish directly, they just say that "they can't say anything because they MAY be in negotiations".

Thanks

My parents have directv, and got these DMA locals on this week. Here I am on Dish, but no locals yet.

What happened with DISH? Early on, it seemed that they'd get this DMA first, but I guess John Malone outfoxed Charlie Ergen...again.

Seriously, has anyone got any new info? If you write and ask Dish directly, they just say that "they can't say anything because they MAY be in negotiations".

Thanks

They've been uplinked on 118 for over a month now. Don't know what the deal is.

Dish is definitely going to start losing customers to Directv in that market along with those potential cable customer switch overs and they know this. Time is money folks.

locals for bluefield an beckley

Someone told me today that on WVVA in Bluefield's 6 o'clock news report , they announced that the dish locaLS FOR THE Bluefield/Beckley WV Dma would be available at the end the year. Anyone else hear this?

Someone told me today that on WVVA in Bluefield's 6 o'clock news report , they announced that the dish locaLS FOR THE Bluefield/Beckley WV Dma would be available at the end the year. Anyone else hear this?
My mother was watching WVVA news and heard that they would be available before the end of December. I read in another blog that the GM of WVVA said they'd be up on Dish by Dec. 8th.

I keep reading where folks like Stargazer and jmccurrytech say that it will be on 118.7. Is that the Anik F3 satellite? If so, what physical dish/equipment will be necessary for that?

My mother was watching WVVA news and heard that they would be available before the end of December. I read in another blog that the GM of WVVA said they'd be up on Dish by Dec. 8th.

I keep reading where folks like Stargazer and jmccurrytech say that it will be on 118.7. Is that the Anik F3 satellite? If so, what physical dish/equipment will be necessary for that?

The 500 plus and 1000 plus have 118.7 LNBs.

as I had posed in another post on the site. I did receive a phone call from the GM of WVVA here in Bluefield, WV, and also did receive an email that the local channels including WVVA will be on Dish Network around December 8

Those dishes are pretty pricey and probably harder to setup as well. Reminds me of the SuperDish only not as big.

Those dishes are pretty pricey and probably harder to setup as well. Reminds me of the SuperDish only not as big.
The SuperDish works very well with the 500+ LNB. Just some minor tweaking needed after installing the LNB.

So from my understanding I will need a new dish then due to the signals being on 118.7.

I currently have a Dish 500 from what I can tell. I can get a signal on 118 and 119 during the "Point Dish" setup, but no 118.7. Is that correct?

What kind of cost if any are we looking at for those in other markets that have already been thru this?

Thanks! This is awesome news. Can finally DVR my shows on NBC! (they have always been via antenna!)

The 118 in the dish setup screen is the 118.7 signal that will be required. I think Dish Network is using 118.7 in the smaller markets because there would be less cost using that slot than in the larger markets for locals solution. I wouldn't be surprised if everything on 118.7 gets transitioned over to another satellite someday.

I have several new and used Super Dishes left over from the Super Dish days. Where can I find a cheap conversion kit to 118.7 for them? I figure I could do that or just sell them off the way they are. I already sold the DP-34 switches that came with them a while back and took some of the DP eyes off of them as well.

Yep, got to wait on Dish. I am sure there will be a long wait to get it installed. I remember when locals first came out here there was a 1 to 2 month wait in some cases.

Directv has upgraded some, not others

Direct already has the locals here and my Mom & Dad will have waited 6 weeks once he shows up next weekend.

My mother had an installer at her house a couple of weeks after Directv turned up the Bluefield/Beckley locals. But my uncle, who lives about 2 miles away from her, still hasn't had his directv dish upgraded for locals.

I think the difference is my mother got on the phone just as soon as she heard the date that the locals would be available, but my uncle 'sat & waited'. You know what they say about "the squeaky wheel..."

It's November, the WVVA gen.mgr. said by December

I haven't heard anything else about the actual start date for the Bluefield/Beckley DMA locals.

It should be in December at the latest (according to WVVA-TV gen. mgr.)

However, I can't see Dish waiting too much longer to announce.

Dave

I am waiting for the locals to pop here as well... I have a Dish 1000... I guess I will also have to wait to get a new dish??

From what information that I can gather, your dish 1000 can be adapted for the 118.7 satellite. But of course, that means another 'installer' visit.

I know that it would require a different yoke for the lnb's along with another set of lnb's/additional lnb but wouldn't the reflector also have to be changed out to a larger one to help support 118.7?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)