BluRay.VS.HD-DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so Excited about both formats!! I think BluRAy will win? I really don't know why just a gut feeling. I do hope since we are going to get two at first at least i hope The HD-DVD player will support both formats!!

I think BluRay will win because they mass amounts of storage. I think HD-DVD tops out at like 50gigs, and blueray already has a prototype of 200gigs!! Oh yeah, BluRay all the way.

I voted for HD-DVD and it will win due to the all mightly $. No need for a major redo of the plants to make the new media and thay way the corporations can use the $'s to pay their CEO's even more $'s then they do now. The other reason I have is the software, more studios have lined up in the HD-DVD camp and people want the software. Who cares if you have the better technology if you can't watch what you want on it.

This sounds like the old battle between BetaMax and VHS....
I would like to see BluRay win, but I agree with 'rad' in that HD-DVD will win because of the $ issues he pointed out...

I hope BluRay wins.

Because of the two competing formats, we all lose. I do not think that there will be players that support both formats for at least a couple of years.

Most consumers probably don't care about HD DVDs and having competing formats will keep them on the sidelines even longer.

HD-DVD sounds cheaper and has more backing and a better plan IMO, so that's my vote.

I voted BluRay since it has a lot more technology behind it... When they can go up to 200GB, talk about nice high definition movies... I would love to see 3840x2160 video in 48+ bit color (note that 3840x2160 scales very well into both 1080 and 720).

Yes I know 1080p is just now starting to show up in televisions, but in 10 years 1080p will be old.

48+ bit color? :) I want some video in 90-100 fps. :D

That is a nice resolution, 3840x2160. And higher resolution is always nice. Aside from just capturing more image information, it's also useful because we can always build bigger and bigger displays. Higher and higher resoution will help there.

There is a limit to colordepth and framerate though. Sure, increasing either or both will capture more information, but I can't think of any other benefits that would have in viewing the video (given the limits of our eyes). (I don't mean to sound like I'm arguing, it's just interesting and I'm wondering around a little here. :))

Actually many years ago when Pixar was first started I went to a demo they were doing... They used 96 bit color. They digitized the film at 6k x 4k in 96 bit color to completely capture the 35MM frame. HDTV has a ways to go!

i went to the ces and came across these two technologies. i couldn't see a difference. it brought me back to my youth and making a comparison between a movie taped on Beta vs. one on VHS. because Beta consumer units were never 'up to par' against commercial ones...i've thought beta won overall. we know vhs won because you could fit 3 movies on a single tape. with that analogy, i would swing towards Blu-Ray. but i choose to abstain until i actually get a unit.

BluRay has the better tech and a more forward looking overall plan. HD-DVD is only cheaper for the media companies because they figured out a way to reuse most of the current factory pressing tech. This means THEY make more $$ off of the end user; it makes them appear cheaper out of the gate, but even though they save all that $$ they will not pass it down, they will pocket it. BluRay will be more user friendly when it comes to EULA and fair use, another great reason to back it. HD-DVD does not have more or better backing even as of 2005. This is exactly like beta vs vhs. Do not back HD-DVD (aka VHS) back BluRay (aka Beta). Its time to make up for that mistake.

Beta lost out for 2 main reasons neither of which was being inferior.

1. Media companies were afraid of the superior resolution at the time, thus pirating. (Stop beating this drum guys, you have done so with every new recording tech and the sky has never fallen. You constantly top revenue records every year.)

2. Sony refused to licence its tech to others because of fear of losing control; a mistake they admit and will try hard not to repeat.

You forgot reason #3, which IMHO was the big one. The original Betamax recorded only 1 hour, VHS started with a 2 hour machine. That meant that you could record the Saturday night movie on VHS and couldn't on Beta. Sony's response was to spend more money on a mechnical changer that would switch tapes for you. Not a user firendly solution.

HD-DVD will likely win-out because it (the media) is far cheaper for the manufacturers to produces, thus cheaper for the studios and cheaper for the consumer.

Bluray will hang around, in data backup and software distribution applications.

I'd prefer to see Bluray win, but I don't see it happening simply due to the financial aspects.

Out of the two, I vote for HD-DVD.

On another note, HD viewing is available NOW. DivX and Windows Media both have excellent HD encoding available and there are a lot of new players spinning up that support both. At the moment, I can tell you that most folks that have made big dollar consumer purchases in the home theater and home authoring arenas, have probably invested so much $ that the new disk formats alone (Blueray and HD-DVD) will be accepted at a VERY slow rate.

So, to make a long story short.. :rolleyes: I think both HD-DVD and Blueray are the wrong way to go. If the market comes to accept WMV-HD and DivX-HD, the traditional DVD will last a long time.

-Bill

long_time_DNC said:
HD-DVD will likely win-out because it (the media) is far cheaper for the manufacturers to produces, thus cheaper for the studios and cheaper for the consumer.

If you really think about it all this means is more money in THEIR pockets in the end because they will never pass it down to the end user. You are already conditioned to accept standard DVD prices between $19 - $25, and to accept that HD is superior, therefore they will roll out any HD formated DVD just above the highest current retail prices, then slowly bring it down to just about the same as you pay now for standard DVD.

This is why most of the factory supporters of HD-DVD are backing it, along with the fact that is it the least PC and fair use friendly for the consumer.

Blu-Ray is the best over all format, and currently has the better backing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

looking for a calibration dvd for my home theater

HDTV picture jitter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)