Blurry Screen - can someone please help?

emcat

Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
Connecticut
The TV i have in my bedroom right now is fairly old (so not flat screen or HD or anything like that) - and I'm not really even sure who the maker is because when we moved in to our apartment a couple months ago the company name was knocked off.

Anyways, so the TV is old but reliable and has always had a nice picture. But a couple of days ago, out of nowhere, the screen got all blurry and the picture is horrible!! it almost looks like I have a bunny ear tv and the ears are out of whack.

Does anyone know why this would all of a sudden happen and if there is anything i can do to fix it? I have Comcast (DVR box) and I've checked all wires to make sure everything is tight and it all was.

The other 2 TV's in the house are fine - so I don't know if it would be because of the cable box or not.

I just need this baby to last me a little while longer as I plan on buying a new one after the holidays, so if anyone can give me some troubleshooting tips or if anyone has had this happen before and can tell me whether its a lost cause, I would really really appreciate it!!

Thank you in advance! - Emcat :(

To figure out whether it's the TV set, the source or the cables, I suggest you hook up a DVD player to this set and see if the picture looks good.

While you're at it, using a DVD player to test your set, use another connecting cable too. It's possible the cable could have gone bad, and in that case, the DVD player would still look blurry. If, on the other hand, your set is still blurry with a second source (the DVD) and alternate cable, it's the set. From what you described, your set uses a CRT (picture tube). It could be any number of things making it blurry, most all of them bad. Something could have failed on its circuit board, or something in the high voltage section may have failed causing the focus voltage for the CRT to go bad. If that's the case, it's time to invest in a new set. Repairs are well beyond anything you'd want to do, and getting it fixed (if you can find someone who still works on CRT sets) would be cost prohibitive. Sorry there's no good news or a simple fix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)