Both 622's in infinite reboot cycle: What could be the casue?

Paradox-SJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
San Jose, California
I have two 622’s and they have both gone into a continuous reboot cycle. I have unplugged both boxes and plugged them back in again several time but nothing changes.

Then are both connected to a DPP44 and see 110/119/129/61.5 when they were up.

One is in the living room the other the bed room.

This started without warning or change.

Any thoughts on what could casue this?

Thanks in adv.

622 reboot

I have two 622’s and they have both gone into a continuous reboot cycle. I have unplugged both boxes and plugged them back in again several time but nothing changes.

Thanks in adv.

You say that they were seeing the sats "when" they were up. The chances of them both going into a continuous reboot sequence in itself is unlikely. Most likely something happen with the switch.
Unplug both units and then disconnect the sat inputs on the back of the receivers. Plug the receiver back in and run a check switch after the unit comes up to clear the switch matrix. If the unit stays up for a lengh of time (longer than it is now rebooting) without rebooting then you have a problem that is not the receivers.
I would try this with one receiver after disconnecting the inputs on the back of both to see if that one stays up ok. Then move onto the other 622.
Gerry

Plug the receiver back in and run a check switch after the unit comes up to clear the switch matrix.

Not possible because the unit doesn't come up. It reboots mid-boot.

Thanks in adv.

My 622 did the exact same thing a few weeks ago. It started with random reboots a couple times a day but then progressed into the infinite
reboot cycle you describe.

I too tried unpluging with no success. So I finally tried leaving it unpluged overnight. This time it came back on, updated the program guide with no problems, and has been working fine since.

So, try leaving them unplugged for several hours, preferably overnight, and see if that doesn't fix the problem for you as well.

As for the reason, my best guess is that it is related to all the programming changes and TP moves and the new satellite causing a data conflict with the EPG data. I say this because some reboots would get past signal acquisition only to fail during EPG download. I would say it is a bug and of the kind that is extremely difficult to pinpoint, but that it is a very real bug.

Last edited:
I just recently replaced a 622 that was doing the same thing. I tried pretty much everything and it kept rebooting. I left it unplugged for the weekend, came back and it continued rebooting. This was the second 622 in the last few months replaced because of the same thing.

Thanks for the help...

I called in an RMA on both....

I did try leaving both unplugged overnight and even completely disconnected one from the SAT. (bedroom)

The bedroom unit will not come up AT ALL just cycles nonstop. The living room unit may come up for a few min’s before it goes back into its reboot cycle. I went in and look at the System Info screen and everything LOOKED fine…all sat’s came up green. Then it went right back into rebooting.

It seems like this is a wide spread issue. Has E* tech supp said anything about it?

Thanks for the help...

I did try leaving both unplugged overnight and even completely disconnected one from the SAT. (bedroom)

The bedroom unit will not come up AT ALL just cycles nonstop. The living room unit may come up for a few min’s before it goes back into its reboot cycle. I went in and look at the System Info screen and everything LOOKED fine…all sat’s came up green. Then it went right back into rebooting.

It seems like this is a wide spread issue. Has E* tech supp said anything about it?

That is strange. Sorry you had to RMA them. I was up to the point of calling Dish also. My 622 has been fine since it miraculously "Fixed itself."

Bottom line, a lot of the 1st gen of 622's are a big POS. If possible, get a 722 as a replacement.

My 622 has been anything but a "big POS" and I suspect the 722 is equally vunerable to this software glitch. The problem with 1rst gen 622's was a hardware issue with the HDMI port and its solder connection.

unplug every wire except power cord, and see if will stay stable without rebooting...then connect just one wire and monitor, keep that up until you find wire causeing rebooting. often is sat cable or phone cord since grounding on those lines estcerta

Thanks for the help...

I had the same problem (gradually until it was infinite reboot) on a 722. It was the hard-drive. I have a new 722 now and I added a case fan to help the airflow and reduce the temps (bad original design, in my opinion). I suggest you do the same. If you want some advice there is a whole thread on 622 temps.

could it be the switch?

Since I am without a DVR I decided to hook up my old 942. I plugged it in to the sats and the ota and did a check switch. I only get local OTA as it is not auth. but that is good enough for now.

What I noticed is I keep getting a error message that tells me to run a switch check. I do it and everything is fine again.

I am wondering if the switch really has an issue and that is the cause of my 622's rebooting issue.

So far the 942 has been rock solid except for the check switch error.

Thoughts -

Since I am without a DVR I decided to hook up my old 942. I plugged it in to the sats and the ota and did a check switch. I only get local OTA as it is not auth. but that is good enough for now.

What I noticed is I keep getting a error message that tells me to run a switch check. I do it and everything is fine again.

I am wondering if the switch really has an issue and that is the cause of my 622's rebooting issue.

So far the 942 has been rock solid except for the check switch error.

Thoughts -
it may be getting that error because the software is outdated. i am not sure if it will download software while unauthorized.

Had a customer with a 622 kept rebooting, and replaced it. The second 622 was rebooting constantly. Swapped it with my showroom, hooked it up at the shop no problems thus far! I'm gonna keep an eye on it till Tuesday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts