Brian Urlacher must get his Comcast for free ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
You know the commercial where Urlacher bashes Directv with "100% increase in 1 year" and "$480 contract termination fee" and "2 year contract"......well Mr Urlacher you must get your comcast for free.

I got a "promo" in the mail for Comcast today......Big print
$19.99 per product for 6 months (must take 2)
free HD DVR & HBO for 6 months

then below that it says "with 2 year agreement"

OK cool. $40 for TV, internet and HD DVR for 6 months.....then I read the back of the flyer which after the "promo" you get bitch slapped

months 6-18
$39.99 for TV
$29.99 for Internet
$19.99 for HBO
17.95 for HD DVR

so lets see....months 7-18 that $40 (I'm not including the internet modem which is I think $7) now its 107.92. Now even if you drop HBO its still 87.93. Hmmmmm looks like after 6 months it goes up over 100%. Months 19-24 raise TV $20 a month and internet $10. So the last 6 months of your contract it goes up $30 more.
DAMN!!! :eek:

And the TV is digital starter which looks like Entertainment package.

I think I'll stay with Diectv ;)

There's a Cox ad running here that bashes DirecTV for the extra receiver fees - when they themselves charge $6 a month for box+remote rental..

Their other bs smear campaign is "Satellite TV in Kansas? Seriously?" It starts with a dish on the roof either dressed in a winter coat in a snowstorm, or with an umbrella in a rain storm, and the camera pans down to the window where the family is watching TV and has a kiniption fit and starts throwing things when the picture goes out.. Except in Kansas cable outages are caused by wind, tornadoes, and ice storms.. they don't come back as soon as the heavy cloud passes, its out for days.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using some Tappity Talkity thing.

Last edited:
Same here but it's Charter

yeah they're the ones who say "19.95 DVR for up to 4 DVRs".....the issue is its 19.95 PLUS the receiver fee of $5 (HD) per receiver

Charter TV® $39.99
Selected Options:
DVR Service $19.99
2 DVR Box $10.00

Charter Internet® $39.99
Total $109.97

I see those Charter ones all the time

I get a charter mail every week or telephone call every day:)

It's funny how cable thinks they're the only game in town. Our local cable is Comcast and I see their "specials" come in the mail all of the time. I'll stick with Directv.

My deal was (through a local retailer for Comcast) Digital starter at $25 per month for a full year. This included about 10 HD channels, most local, and on demand. After a year the price went to $44. and then $65 full price after 18 months. The only good thing was no contract. My other 2 tvs used direct cable so the signal was analog on an old set and digital on a newer old tube that had a digital tuner built in. After 18 months I downgraded to basic which is 15 locals, no HD and four of the channels are HSN or similar. Going back to DTV after the 10th. Kind of wondering how much my internet bill will be with Comcast after I cancel their cable tv.

What I laugh more about the ad is the "Most Live Sports" BS. Comcast does not have all the FSN and other sports channels like Directv.

As for the cost comparison, agreed it is misleading. I will take my Directv over Comcast any day. Yes they have a nice OnDemand, but I have a DVR that resolves that issue not mention fast forward feature. Comcast convientently disables FF on any shows linked to NBC Universal.

What I laugh more about the ad is the "Most Live Sports" BS. Comcast does not have all the FSN and other sports channels like Directv.

As for the cost comparison, agreed it is misleading. I will take my Directv over Comcast any day. Yes they have a nice OnDemand, but I have a DVR that resolves that issue not mention fast forward feature. Comcast convientently disables FF on any shows linked to NBC Universal.

Actually, NBC ON Demand on DirecTV also has FF disabled, you smelly dawg. ;)

yea, digital starter is kinda a terrible package for families, reminds me of the old days, when cable was only like 70 channels, yea i know it includes more than that, but none of the spin off channels are included, how many families would really like losing boomerang, nick2, teenick, and all the others Im not familiar with lol? Oh and that price your quoted is for 1 tv, yea i know so is directv, but comcast will offer you additional tvs at 1.99/mo WHAT A DEAL...... OH WAIT??!! They only receive basic cable, you need a full on digital box for an extra 10/month to watch those channels. I can get an HDDVR from direc for that, I do however miss the old rates, where you paid 109.99 for premier, 7 bucks for dvr, 10, for hd, got the hd waived with autopay, and only paid 6bucks for additional boxes no matter what type they were :)

I get flyers for Time Warner. I see the new commercial on local station with Giants WR Victor Cruz, promoting Time Warner, no bashing directv or dish, just how you can enjoy sports better on TWC, I laughed. They think all the subs are fans of that market, I rather pull my hair out than have to watch Giants and Jets every week with no other out of market teams.

Comcast is 17.95 per HD DVR. There is no break on the 1st

That is not entirely correct; on the HD triple-plays, because the base pkg already includes an HD (non-DVR) box, the 1st DVR is only $8 additional. (I know this because this is exactly what I have now...)

As far as CC having "misleading ads" - BOTH D* & E* have THEIR own misleads as well; they are not really any better in that regard, to CC...bottom line, everyone needs to read the fine print in ALL of these ads - regardless of the provider... :rolleyes:

That is not entirely correct; on the HD triple-plays, because the base pkg already includes an HD (non-DVR) box, the 1st DVR is only $8 additional. (I know this because this is exactly what I have now...)

thats fine and jim dandy but not all areas are the same. I just ran a order on comcast's site for Minneapolis (where I live) and HD DVR is "free" for 6 months....then goes to 16.95

If you dont want a triple play and want say Internet and Cable (which is what I am comparing here) their "double play" gives you a DIGITAL box for free. $10 more for HD and 16.95 for HD DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts