Broadband, advantage

shodobe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NorCal
What does the broadband connection do for me that I don't have already? Not sure what advantage there is. Thanks

You can use remote access to your DVR....

Well, that's nice but I have no obsession to remotely control my DVR from anywhere in the world. That's OK if you might miss a program and need to schedule it a 1000 miles away. Any other advantage? Thanks

it also allows E* to sell "general" viewing information to google to help them stay out of the red, while they increase the package pricing and equipment charges to the customers, it will also send signal strength reading from the dish to DN so they can monitor if any problems may be going on.

on demand video. download movies to watch later. receiver can call home and let them know if it is having trouble like LNB drift

So these are features I can't get on a regular basis? I thought VOD and movie downloads were there for everyone to enjoy or only for those who have broadband connection. I am still confused of what you get extra for a broadband connection.

The on demand interface it bad, but I have found lots of content there.

The on demand elements are downloaded 'on demand' from the internet. They are not passed through the satellite.

Am I confusing terms? I thought VOD came through satellite, and it is Dish Online that came over broadband.

TheKrell said:
Am I confusing terms? I thought VOD came through satellite, and it is Dish Online that came over broadband.

I was under the impression that all VOD was via broadband. I may have misunderstood that... If you get a good answer, please post here.

Doesn't matter if you like hooking it up or not, It does keep the Dish audit Naitzes away!

The less I have to talk to the idiots who work in that department, and having to try to figure out what type of scam they think im pulling on them now, the better!

Sure there are customers who stack their accounts, but the fact of the matter is that customers with stacked accounts are the best customers Charlie could ask for. They subscribe to the everything pack, generally buy all their own equopment and do their own installatoion. And once their system is running correctly, you will never hear from them again. If they need a service call, they fix the system on their own

Its alot better than these Joe Six packs we sign off the street who keeps the system 3 months and then goes back to cable or Directv

The goal of the audit departmet is to get the custome to "Split" the account to get more subscribers for Dish, but everythint that happens 3 months later the new sub accounts get disconnected becase the customer lost their discounrt

certain VOD are through the satellite, others are through broadband.

secret: there are changes coming to the On Demand interface...very soon...

Anything orderable through channel 1 or 501 that come over broadband?

All the movies on channel 1 and 501 are loaded onto your receiver from satellite while your receiver is in standby. Dish calls that their VOD and it starts immediately after you order it.

DISH Online is downloaded over the web. The faster your speed the sooner you get to watch your movie. There are some free movies and shows for anyone who hasn't tried DISH Online yet.

So awhile back they were going to show the second season of True Blood but it never showed up on my channel lineup on ch101. Would it showed up if I had my reciever hooked up on the broadband?

Doesn't matter if you like hooking it up or not, It does keep the Dish audit Naitzes away!

The less I have to talk to the idiots who work in that department, and having to try to figure out what type of scam they think im pulling on them now, the better!

Sure there are customers who stack their accounts, but the fact of the matter is that customers with stacked accounts are the best customers Charlie could ask for. They subscribe to the everything pack, generally buy all their own equopment and do their own installatoion. And once their system is running correctly, you will never hear from them again. If they need a service call, they fix the system on their own

Its alot better than these Joe Six packs we sign off the street who keeps the system 3 months and then goes back to cable or Directv

The goal of the audit departmet is to get the custome to "Split" the account to get more subscribers for Dish, but everythint that happens 3 months later the new sub accounts get disconnected becase the customer lost their discounrt
I ordered the SlingLink Turbo Model SL-300-100 from the Dish Store, was really easy to install and works great with my 722K and my two 211K's. All are on different breakers but are on the same main panel box. The total cost shipped UPS was about $40. Received great service!
http://www.dishstore.net/product_info.php?products_id=245

Last edited:
I still don't see a reason to do this or am I just missing the point. Is there programming out there that only can be accessed if you have broadband?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts