Status
Not open for further replies.

Rey

@ your service
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 8, 2008
Florida
Been having this issue on a few sites where I'm seeing a lot of broken image links.This is happening with all my browsers on my Desktop at home, nowhere else. I've messed with Java and double checked other plugins,checked the host file,cleared all content on browsers,checked for spyware and viruses. Disabled the firewall to see if the problem is there but still see the broken images. I'm not sure what else to do and would hate to do a clean install here of Win8. Any ideas? Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

Untitled.jpg

When I bring up the java console I see a lot of "Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)"

The issue is on my end, not the websites.

all ok on the fox..

Yeah it's an issue with only my desktop at home. The laptop here and my desktop at work is fine with all of my installed browsers. The PC at home is having this issue with all the browsers installed. Firefox,Chrome and IE9. I have no clue what it is :confused:

Still clever wording not denying it ;)

Seriously it looks like an issue with your house talking to the Content Delivery Network (CDN).

:D. Thanks for the reply mike. Why don't I see this on the laptop?

:D. Thanks for the reply mike. Why don't I see this on the laptop?

I misread your statement on the laptop. I assumed it was the laptop at work, not at home. Did you try the usual reboot? Something is blocking the CDN access on your home desktop. Perhaps your DNS is messed up on the desktop. Does your DNS match between the desktop and laptop? Maybe try Googles DNS 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4

Good idea Mike. I'll go ahead and check the DNS and report back. Thank you.

The DNS is set to Auto for both. I entered the values you posted but still the same. The only thing I did was update to 8.1 but all was ok after that. I began with this issue last weekend.

It is baffling as to what is causing your desktop to not communicate with the CDN, yet your laptop can do it. Since it happens in all the browsers it has to be something used by all of them. That would be the firewall or the DNS. Is your desktop hardwired and the laptop wireless? Perhaps turn off wifi on the laptop and plug it in the ethernet the desktop is using and see if anything happens.

It is baffling as to what is causing your desktop to not communicate with the CDN, yet your laptop can do it. Since it happens in all the browsers it has to be something used by all of them. That would be the firewall or the DNS. Is your desktop hardwired and the laptop wireless? Perhaps turn off wifi on the laptop and plug it in the ethernet the desktop is using and see if anything happens.
Yep the laptop is wireless and the desktop is hardwired. When I checked the logs for the hardwired router I see the same error I found in the java console. /rootDesc.xml not found, responding ERROR 404

what is/was common between the links for the busted image(s)?

Right now I'm only seeing it on one site. The images are similar to what we have here on the left at the forums page where you see the read and unread forums. Also anything like links to social websites like facebook are showing up broken.

Well I got rid of the error at the router with a firmware upgrade but still have the issue on my pc. I thought the laptop was fine but it's not :eek:.In fact all my smartphones and tablet are doing the same thing. Maybe this will give you guys a better idea what the problem is. Maybe it's an issue with the ISP? If so then my hands are tied I guess.

Last edited:
I am stating the obvious, but it's either the Router, Modem, or ISP. If you haven't reset the modem you might do that. If you can use another router and see the results that would at least tell you if it is that or not. But my first guess is something with the ISP, do you have a neighbor that you can check with and see if they are having the same problem?

If you right click the image, does it give you the option to open or view it, and if so what happens? Because it is happening on all your computers/devices it probably won't open. Sometimes when it is device specific, the image will open and it indicates a problem with Java or some other program interfering with it opening.

Think I have a neighbor who wouldn't mind me testing this out. I did reset the router and modem.

If it were an ISP to CDN problem, one would expect it to be resolved fairly quickly. The CDN probably carries a lot more traffic than just satelliteguys, so a bunch of other web sites would be broken and people would be complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)