Not open for further replies.

hbk409

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 12, 2005
LI,NY
source: http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/13/katrina.washington/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush said Tuesday he takes responsibility for the federal government's failures in responding to Hurricane Katrina.

"Katrina exposed serious problems in our response capability at all levels of government and to the extent the federal government didn't fully do its job right, I take responsibility," Bush said during a joint news conference with Iraqi President Jalal Talabani. (Watch Bush's comments -- 0:47)

Bush was responding to a reporter's question about whether Americans should be concerned that the government is not prepared to respond to another disaster or terrorist attack after it took several days for aid and troops to arrive in New Orleans and other areas devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

He repeated his desire to find out exactly what went wrong on every level of government.

"It's in our national interest that we find out exactly what went on ... so we can better respond," Bush said.

A bipartisan joint congressional committee is to review the response at all levels of government to the hurricane and report its findings to Congress no later than February 15.

Bush praised the first responders and the U.S. Coast Guard, who risked their lives to rescue New Orleans residents stranded on their rooftops.

"I'm not going to defend the process going in, but I will defend the people on the front line of saving lives," Bush said.

Earlier in the day, the White House said the president will address the nation Thursday night about the Hurricane Katrina disaster.

The 9 p.m. ET address is the latest administration reaction to Katrina, which roared ashore on August 29.

"The president will talk to the American people about the recovery and the way forward on the longer-term rebuilding," White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters, according to Reuters.

Bush is expected to make his address from storm-wracked Louisiana, where the president toured damaged New Orleans neighborhoods on Monday.

On Monday, Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Mike Brown resigned, after questions were raised about his qualifications and for what critics call a bungled response to Katrina's destruction. (Full story)

Bush chose David Paulison, director of FEMA's preparedness division, as interim director.

Paulison said Tuesday he planned to focus on getting people out of shelters "and into some type of either semi-permanent or permanent housing."

Speaking at a news conference, he also pledged to help victims by working with state and local officials.

"This has to be a partnership, because ultimately the communities are entitled to take responsibility and empower themselves," Paulison said.

Paulison, who is also administrator for the U.S. Fire Administration, was a former fire chief in Miami-Dade County, Florida.

Brown's resignation came three days after Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff recalled him to Washington and replaced him as point man for Katrina relief efforts.

Since then, Vice Adm. Thad Allen, the Coast Guard's chief of staff, has been leading FEMA's mission along the Gulf Coast.

Chertoff said he expects to make other appointments to FEMA in coming days, "including a permanent deputy director to augment the resources available to assist with FEMA's vital mission."

Brown's fall came quickly. On September 2, Bush told the 50-year-old lawyer, "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job." (Watch Brown's interview with CNN on September 2 -- 2:11)

Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Massachusetts, applauded the latest development. "I think it is clearly in the country's interest," Kennedy said.

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist said he was not surprised.

"Things didn't go as well as it should have," said the Tennessee Republican. But Frist added, "Now, I am very pleased where we are."

CNN's John King and Suzanne Malveaux contributed to this report

Oh i'm sure heads will roll for this...<rolls eyes>

So he takes responsibility verbally, what's the point? He's just SAYING this to appease his base, he said on sept 2nd that he was doing a heck of a job (as quoted above), so that shows you he's just saying this now to cover his ass. Bush wouldn't know what doing a good job meant if you drew it in crayon for him...

Really makes you wonder what would happen if we got attacked tomorrow...

4 years later after 9/11 and still cannot deal with major emergency disaster. Give me a break... Apology not accepted...

Sean Mota said:
4 years later after 9/11 and still cannot deal with major emergency disaster. Give me a break... Apology not accepted...
Thank You Both !!!

Amen.

I can't believe how lame this guy is. And I've been in Texas for the last 16 years.

let's try and do better in 2008.

LER

Anybody who's paying attention knows where the screwups were. Not saying Bush is perfect by a longshot, but primary responsibility lies with the local and state leaders, who demonstrated profound incompetence in dealing with the situation.

And if he said 'not my fault' the left wing would have it looping in the campaign ads in '08 and the Bush bashers would be up in arms.

Shawn

LER said:
Amen.

I can't believe how lame this guy is. And I've been in Texas for the last 16 years.

LER
oh well - there has been one Watergate already - this time with way less Gates but way more water !

LER said:

It would help if the Democratic party picked a candidate that people weren't afraid to vote for. I'm a fairly conservative guy but I was ready to vote for Bush's opponent until I saw who it was. Could the Democrats have possibly picked someone farther from the center? I don't think so!

They had a golden opportunity to take the Whitehouse with bipartisian support and blew it, big time!

BTW, I'm still waiting for the mayor and governor to admit their mistakes. IMO, they screwed up first and most.

Mario

LMFAO. I think the democrats are our republican best allies. Howard Dean???????? Isnt he the leader of that party??? Talk about an organization with no clue. He is sure to attract voters. And then you pick Hanoi, lets kill some civilians on the beach then claim I murdered people before congress disgracing the entire military John Kerry? Keep up the GREAT work!!!!!

Sean Mota said:

What did he do wrong?

Did he fail to evacuate the citizens? NO. that was mayor Nagin not following his own plans.

IS he a first responder ? NO. But he urged the governor to be one but she had to sleep on it.

Did he not take control of the state from a negligent democratic governor? I can hear the screams of the democrats now. "look at the republican Nazi violating states writes and walking over the constitution."

Did he fail to preposition troops in front of the hurricane so we could be fishing out their dead bodies too? Yes thank god.

Did he deny anyone food and aid from the red cross as did Governor Blanco? No.

Just how on earth does 9/11 compare to a 400 mile wide class 4/5 hurricane? My god the 9/11 disaster was an isloated area of two buildings in a block in NY and the pentagon and a field in PENN if I recall not 3 entire states.

Let me know when youve rejoined planet earth. But I have nothing but respect for Bush. "Responsibility" and "I" two words you will never hear from a democratic mouth. Certainly not from the murderers Nagin and Blanco.:rolleyes:

I dont seem to recall Clinton nor Reno using that word for executing all of those Civilians in Waco. Reno was at a seminar wasnt she?:rolleyes: why was she not fired? You dont think thye could havbesimply arrested Koresh in town. Of course they could before they pulled a stunt stupid like surrounding the compound. Two clowns without a clue. I doubt they know how to spell the word Responsibility.

Since we're in full political mode here, what's everyone's problem with hillary? I realize she looks like the most stuck up little cunt in the world, but what makes people think she couldn't do a good job? I hope it's not because she's a woman. I don't hear a lot of complaining from my NY friends about the job she's doing, and obviously she'd have Bill in her ear to help with things, what's the problem...

I can't imagine not voting for her in 2008...but I can't find anyone to tell me what they don't like about her besides she's a bitch...

hbk409 said:
Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Massachusetts, applauded the latest development. "I think it is clearly in the country's interest," Kennedy said.

What would be in this countries best interest would be to look into how he could be so drunk as to turn the wrong way, drive down a dirt road an into the water yet able to perform such miracle athletics as to swim back and forth accross the water and even make rescue dives for Patti Jo. But never report anything and leave it for the police to find while locked up in the Kennedy compound with advisors managing damage control:rolleyes:

Monday morning quarterbackers can now enjoy thier finest hour.mother nature wins again,Bush haters can continue to divide this great country.this horrible disaster brings to mind the expansive poverty that exists in the USA today.fat cat politicians of both parties continue to play the issues to the max.a united country is whats needed today.

Purogamer said:
Since we're in full political mode here, what's everyone's problem with hillary? I realize she looks like the most stuck up little cunt in the world, but what makes people think she couldn't do a good job? I hope it's not because she's a woman. I don't hear a lot of complaining from my NY friends about the job she's doing, and obviously she'd have Bill in her ear to help with things, what's the problem...

I can't imagine not voting for her in 2008...but I can't find anyone to tell me what they don't like about her besides she's a bitch...
id rather not have anymore documents destroyed myself or anymore "oops I found these on the coffee table years after". Please keep her out of the white house.

Attention mayor Nagin and Blanco.

Yesterday morning our governor delcared an emergency with Ophelia not much of a threat to VA He also called in active duty national guard. Mandatory evacuations of Hatteras In NC began Yesterday Mayor Nagin. Guess what??? Its NOT the FEDS responsibility to do this. Its the RESPONSIBILITY of the state and local govt. EOC meetings were also held on local levels.

vurbano said:

Yesterday morning our governor delcared an emergency with Ophelia not much of a threat to VA He also called in active duty national guard. Mandatory evacuations of Hatteras In NC began Yesterday Mayor Nagin. Guess what??? Its NOT the FEDS responsibility to do this. Its the RESPONSIBILITY of the state and local govt. EOC meetings were also held on local levels.

Vurb,

I will remind you of the credit you just gave your governor in 2008. :D

vurbano said:

Correct. I too am very happy that live in the Commonwealth of Virginia and not a leader less State like Louisiana. A New Orleans resident summed up the local response in Louisiana better than anybody when she said, "I'll bet they had those buses runnin' on election day!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts