Buying and Replacing Joey to Save Monthly Fee

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
the fee is an outlet fee, not a lease fee, so it's the same fee whether leased from Dish or owned outright.

peggy97850

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 16, 2012
Western US
I thought Dish Anywhere was able to stay "internal" if your main receiver and the device that DA is on are on the same network ?
true, but I have neighbors that don't have any internet (hard to imagine) so DA wouldn't even be an option, they'd need to have a Joey.

lakebum431

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
Norris, TN
I thought Dish Anywhere was able to stay "internal" if your main receiver and the device that DA is on are on the same network ?
I believe that you would need an internet connection to authenticate the device, but the actual streaming would be on your intranet.

Bobby

Publican
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Rohnert Park, CA
The internet doesn’t matter referring to DA as a replacement for multiple Joeys. What does matter is that the Host receiver only has one sling device. One sling device equals one path to DA....

Reactions: HipKat

jscud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 25, 2005
Central NH
No, every receiver must be activated by Dish.
You can buy a Joey off the Internet and activate it yourself by calling Dish and giving them the receiver number. Yes you still get the $7 monthly fee but what you do not need is to have Dish tech come out to “install” a leased Joey. That is a $100 fee which is twice as much as the cost of a Joey on Amazon or Dish Depot.

Jim5506

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Slaton, Texas
The only "savings" you may enjoy by buying a receiver is the price someone else "may" pay you for it in the future.

As has been said, you can avoid one receiver fee by buying an Amazon Fire stick.

I did just that and returned one Joey to Dish for a savings of $7 per month.

Note that one H2 or H3 can only support one Amazon Fire Stick at a time.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I've posted this a million times, but some states have a leased receiver tax (mine does). So if you care about saving $2 per month, then that is one advantage of owning. Not wanting to debate the merits of owning vs. leasing here; just stating a fact. :D

Reactions: pattykay

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
I'd fight the"lease" tax. You pay the same even if owned. It's a programming access fee, not a lease fee.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts