buying used voom system any problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
txcruiser said:
Sean's remark gives the impression that "autopay" is optional with VOOM. I only had wished that was true when I signed up.

Never implied it and never said such a thing. In my case, I knew it was autopay from the beginning as the csr told me so when I signed up.

txcruiser said:
Not all 35,000 subs come to this forum (even though some moderators might want you to believe otherwise). So I would say 10 is a high number of complaints from hard core users that post here since there's probably only 20 posters that really discuss VOOM pros and cons on a day-to-day basis.

Yes, there is not 35,000 that come here and moderators here have never boasted about the numbers either. Given the fact that we keep our own statistics and only publish very few of them, I do not know how you came to the number 20 of people that post here (a guess?) Man, if you do not know how our operation runs please don't say things like that. We do not have to go and publish how many people come here. We don't need to make that public.

weagle said:
I don't understand why would voom not activate it? If the account is closed obviously it can be reopened under new name/address/credit card? Why would it be a financial suicide (assuming there is no outstanding balance?) besides cc's can be charged back if they are not fair.

I'm also wondering if i have problems is it easier to say i bought it used and it didn't come with the access card and they send me a new one since the access card is all that voom asks (assuming here?), that is what some people do on directv if they don't want the risk of getting it activated on a card that has heaps load of ppv stuff on the card and not yet downloaded.

Edit: They won't even send you a new card for the STB.
thanks.
To date no one has successfully activated/reactivated a Voom receiver not purchased or rented directly from Voom or an authorized retailer. There has been no reasonable explanation to this policy. It's just the way it is, unfortunately. Don't buy it because Voom will not activate it no matter the circumstances.

I can state for a fact that not everyone is on autopay by credit card. Voom sends me a paper bill, and I send them a check. They did the installation in January, and I paid that by credit card. With the $300 credit from the STB purchase, I had no balance until July. Both July and August have been handled the same. Paper bill--then pay by check.

To be honest, I don't know how it happened that way. The credit card is still active, and I never asked to be put on a pay by check program, but I'm not going to argue.

Getting back to voom receivers, I doubt voom will avtivate it unless you pay them the install fee. If they do, the only thing you'll "maybe" save is the monthly rental fee. I've seen voom receivers on ebay for $100 - $200. If voom "would" avtivate it, that wouldnt be a bad deal (to own and save rental fee's).
ps. If you need additional voom remotes, there are lots on ebay for under $25.

No problems here, except for the minor software glich, that (btw) voom fixed most timely.
I'm convinced those that bash/jab Voom dont even have an HDtv, let alone ever tried the voom service.

randym431 said:
Getting back to voom receivers, I doubt voom will avtivate it unless you pay them the install fee. If they do, the only thing you'll "maybe" save is the monthly rental fee. I've seen voom receivers on ebay for $100 - $200. If voom "would" avtivate it, that wouldnt be a bad deal (to own and save rental fee's).
ps. If you need additional voom remotes, there are lots on ebay for under $25.

I called Voom to inquire about the ebay receivers on several occasions and always got the same answer. NO!!!! "We will not activate ANY STB not purchased through one of our retailers or Voom and installed by Installs Inc. Not under any circumstance", not for anyone regardless of who the hell you think you are. End of comment, end of story.

Sean Mota said:
Given the fact that we keep our own statistics and only publish very few of them, I do not know how you came to the number 20 of people that post here (a guess?) Man, if you do not know how our operation runs please don't say things like that. We do not have to go and publish how many people come here. We don't need to make that public.

I call it a very educated guess since I'll been tracking this VOOM forum like a hawk for the past several months. The number of posts is high, but in reality it's only coming from a few posters (like around 20). I have never asked you publish any numbers. But when someone mentions the number of complaints is around 10, the Pro-Voomers make light of it because they want newbies to think it's an insignificant number. It's just not that insignificant when you compare it against the number of folks at this forum.

10 is insignificant (since you are talking about statistical sampling). And quite frankly you are incorrect about the 20 too...

Again you are incorrect! but let's stop the guessing game. It just waste people's time going through this thread.

that is really bad what voom is doing if they are doing what you say they are then voom has to be boycotted they can't do this, i buy a used item i set it up myself i have the right to get the receiver activated directv allows it so does dishnetwork. Seriously voom can be in serious trouble here consumer relations i'm talking about here and the BBB better business bureau.

weagle said:
that is really bad what voom is doing if they are doing what you say they are then voom has to be boycotted they can't do this, i buy a used item i set it up myself i have the right to get the receiver activated directv allows it so does dishnetwork.
No you do not have the right to get the receiver activated. If Voom choses to not allow this then that is their right.

weagle said:
Seriously voom can be in serious trouble here consumer relations i'm talking about here and the BBB better business bureau.
So you are goiing to complain to the BBB that a company is not doing what you wish they would do?

weagle,
As you probably know VOOM sells additional receivers at a $200 discount ($299 instead of $499).
I am guessing this is one of the reasons why VOOM doesn't want to activate equipment sold through unauthorized source. They don't want people buy additional receivers at $299 with the sole purpose of reselling them on Ebay for $400.

bbqman said:
No you do not have the right to get the receiver activated. If Voom choses to not allow this then that is their right.

So you are goiing to complain to the BBB that a company is not doing what you wish they would do?

Voom also has the right to NOT make any money.

giveuspurehd said:
i was double charged for a month and billed two months after i quit voom.i was told by the csr that alot of former voom customers are having this problem.VOOM in my opinion will have a class action coming their way in the future. :cool:

I'll be telling my bank i lost my card so i will get a new number and voom won't be able to charge me when i cancel. Easy solution.

hang on here there is got to be a way around this, the real quesiton is I should be asking here is those who deactivated voom and then reactivated DID they have any problems?

I'm thinking if I buy a used voom from someone if they give me their name/address/phone# it would be easy to activate it by using their address and just change the name and add my own credit card on file. I know if someone changes their address right away voom will charge a install fee? This is crazy if you think about it. If voom system is currently active and one happens to say switch the address then call in switch the name/credit card they can't say NO WE WILL NOT ACTIVATE IT AGAIN since it's already activated doesn't say in their policy they can deactivate it if the name/address/phone# changes on their file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts