C band signal problems

sanpat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
Rockport Tx.
Ok on my 10 ft c and dish ,titainium c238 lnb in searching for sats I am locked on 105 west , scanned and verify transponders to be 105w ,82%quality but I also have 80% on 101 ,105,123,131 without moving dish ,try to set dish to 101 position and only get 12% , can't find any other sats to lock ,went back check plum was ok couldn't find 97 which is true south sat last week all was good 95w to 135w ,2 days trying, frustration set in ,watching 105w only sat that locked , HELP.

What kind of mount? Got a picture of it?
Does pulling or pushing on the bottom of the dish rim make signal stronger when the azimuth is centered for highest signal?

Reactions: (((Garyd)))
Does pulling or pushing on the bottom of the dish rim make signal stronger when the azimuth is centered for highest signal?
What type of dish do you have, show me some pictures front, side, and back of the dish also did you try by-passing the coax cable with another cable, they can go bad for many reasons??? I have even seen a tree dropped near the ground where the cable went the pressure of the earth could chance the 75 ohm impedance to anything else and your signal is bad

Channel master polar mount I track manually with a drill ,forgot to add that ichanged lnb from a c138 to c238 that's the only thinall was fine beforeg been done ,to answer your question no , all was good before that .

Attachments

• 20240204_165739.jpg
    20240204_165739.jpg
    595.6 KB · Views: 69
Channel master polar mount I track manually with a drill ,forgot to add that ichanged lnb from a c138 to c238 that's the only thinall was fine beforeg been done ,to answer your question no , all was good before that .
All new quad4 cables lnb hooked to TV and other cable hooked to v7 sat finder to check at dish ,can't get why 105 is right where it should be ami can't lock anyother sats ,

Attachments

• 20240204_172145.jpg
    20240204_172145.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 20240204_172132.jpg
    20240204_172132.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 20240204_172120.jpg
    20240204_172120.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 20240204_165741.jpg
    20240204_165741.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 75
A hair-off polarity is a big deal, also check the dish is not off being round string it, if you don't know how ask
Set skew to 0 pointing to the right ,just checkedszt list on receiver 105locked withgood signal and picture and 70 to 80 % quality on101,105 ,127,131,and 135 when locked on 105 ???

I would suggest to take that DeWalt and drive the dish to the top of the arc.
Make sure the 0 on the lnbf is pointing straight up.
Then find a sat with decent signal and tweak the lnbf in/out of the mount.
If you need to tweak skew for a good signal balance for H/V polarities, do it.
Then pick a weaker sat and tweak the lnb in/out for max signal without turning the skew angle.
And still on the weak sat. do the bottom dish rim push/pull trik to see if the mount needs a bit of adjustment.

70 to 80 % quality on101,105 ,127,131,and 135 when locked on 105 ???
Why do you keep saying this?

The receiver does NOT KNOW what satellite it's pointed at. IF you are really pointed at 105w and scanned in with the listing for 105w, then re-scan without moving the dish at all using a different satellite in the list, say 135, it'll then show 135 with channels. HOWEVER, it's the channels on 105w, because you DIDN'T move the dish!

Reactions: Brct203 and FTA4PA
Why do you keep saying this?

The receiver does NOT KNOW what satellite it's pointed at. IF you are really pointed at 105w and scanned in with the listing for 105w, then re-scan without moving the dish at all using a different satellite in the list, say 135, it'll then show 135 with channels. HOWEVER, it's the channels on 105w, because you DIDN'T move the dish!
Prime star i did that on other sats that had signal they all scan same channels as 105.,I understand ,my question is why the other sats are showing signal ,I will check dish string test and focal length , skew ,at true south ,may have to start again as a new dish install,,thanks so much for all input ,will start next weekend.

Prime star i did that on other sats that had signal they all scan same channels as 105.,I understand ,my question is why the other sats are showing signal ,I will check dish string test and focal length , skew ,at true south ,may have to start again as a new dish install,,thanks so much for all input ,will start next weekend.
One quick question on skew on titainium c238 is the zero up or left or right ,I have o pointed to the right. ?

One quick question on skew on titainium c238 is the zero up or left or right ,I have o pointed to the right. ?
Read this, and it'll tell you: https://www.titaniumsatellite.com/downloads/Guides/C138_C238_LNBF_Install_Guide.pdf

Setting Polarity / Skew: Linear Polarity Satellites
The probes inside the feedhorn must be aligned to match the polarity of the satellite signal. On the back of
the LNBF housing is a scale for setting the polarity and skew. On the C138 and C238 LNBF models, the
“0” is aligned with the horizontal polarity probe
. If installing on a motorized polar mount, drive the
dish to the highest point of the arc and align the “0” scale mark with the horizontal axis of the dish. The
“0” may be pointed to either the 9 or 3 o'clock positions (straight left or right). If installing on a (non-
motorized) fixed dish, rotate the skew angle to align with the satellite's calculated skew rotation offset
position

Last edited:
I would suggest to take that DeWalt and drive the dish to the top of the arc.
Make sure the 0 on the lnbf is pointing straight up.
Then find a sat with decent signal and tweak the lnbf in/out of the mount.
If you need to tweak skew for a good signal balance for H/V polarities, do it.
Then pick a weaker sat and tweak the lnb in/out for max signal without turning the skew angle.
And still on the weak sat. do the bottom dish rim push/pull trik to see if the mount needs a bit of adjustment.
Oops. My bad......
Like Primestar says. Guess things changed.

1707152222364.png

if you take a picture of the Eiffel Tower and label it Tower of London, you might think it's the Tower of London, but it's still the Eiffel Tower and it's still in Paris...

in other words, the satellite names in the receiver are only there to keep things organized. When you scan, the receiver will receive whatever the dish is actually pointed at, regardless of the satellite name in the receiver

Did you recently have a storm? it could be that the dish mount rotated a bit on the post and the satellites closest to your longitude would still be somewhat ok and those further away would no longer be received. The test suggested by our friend Arlo (gently pushing pulling on the bottom rim of the dish and watch what it does to signal quality) would be the first thing to try. If it decreases either way, it means the mount is properly aligned. If it increases on way and decreases the other way, the alignment is not right. The attached picture is worth a thousand words...

Attachments

• Tuning the Arc.jpg
    Tuning the Arc.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: FTA4PA
if you take a picture of the Eiffel Tower and label it Tower of London, you might think it's the Tower of London, but it's still the Eiffel Tower and it's still in Paris...

in other words, the satellite names in the receiver are only there to keep things organized. When you scan, the receiver will receive whatever the dish is actually pointed at, regardless of the satellite name in the receiver

Did you recently have a storm? it could be that the dish mount rotated a bit on the post and the satellites closest to your longitude would still be somewhat ok and those further away would no longer be received. The test suggested by our friend Arlo (gently pushing pulling on the bottom rim of the dish and watch what it does to signal quality) would be the first thing to try. If it decreases either way, it means the mount is properly aligned. If it increases on way and decreases the other way, the alignment is not right. The attached picture is worth a thousand words...
Got home and string test 6 strings ,perfect all met in middle ,measured scaler maybe 1/16 off on one side when measured from center of dish ,I will continue with the basics this weekend just a update thanks to all for input .

Reactions: primestar31
ok started from scratch check plum ,went to top of arc ,set focal length ,skew ,focal was off ,i think i had sidelobe problem ,was not familiar with that indications ,after research i know what that is ,set fd and my problem went away ,just did not know how to properly explain my problem ,what i like most is how you guys make us new guys learn ,thanks to all .