C31 now "public"

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Bcuz it wood coss baddlz n my haus ovr who tv wood b rekord show. So it do lez 4 same bread yo!

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

to each his own.

for me since its me an my roommate an no one else. this would be just fine.:)

the typical person records stuff when they are away from the house. if at home, then they watch it and dont bother recording it. most stuff repeats the same night anyway so a person doesnt always need to record the shows at the same time.

besides with the hr34 and 3 clients active is basically like having a hr24 and 3 h25. ( as far as viewing live tv) and that set up is good enough for most.

Last edited:
the typical person records stuff when they are away from the house. if at home, then they watch it and dont bother recording it. most stuff repeats the same night anyway so a person doesnt always need to record the shows at the same time.

besides with the hr34 and 3 clients active is basically like having a hr24 and 3 h25. ( as far as viewing live tv) and that set up is good enough for most.

Here is a hypothetical extreme set-up. Okay,right now I have 3 DVR's(HR22-100,HR23-700,& HR24-500) & 2 receivers(H24-700 & H25-500). I have 2 rooms with one DVR & receiver each(the logic being that the DVR's would be dedicated to recording only & I'd watch TV from the receivers.The remotes are even set up to control both). Okay,so I exchange my HR22 & HR23 to get a HR34 for a net increase of 1 tuner to 7 tuners total from a previous 6 tuners. The set up would be the HR34 & H25 in the living room,both set up on one remote,& my HR24 & H24 in the master bedroom also both set up on one remote. That leaves one TV not covered. That is where I'd put the C31. The real complaint I'd have(besides paying $6.00 per month for a slave unit) is would I be able to see the H24's recordings under whole home DVR like the HR34 would? Also,so what that the up front cost would be maybe $50.00,is it considered a purchase or a lease? Would I have to return the C31 if I drop DTV? What if I also wanted to add to my set up a DirecTiVo THR22-100(yes,I know that it is not MRV capable) & because I have 5 TV's,2 more C31's? $6.00 per unit really starts to add up,especially when 3 units are slave units tying up 3 tuners of the HR34 & we don't know if they'll be able to see the HR24's recordings yet.

Everyone's viewing habits are different so you do have to choose the system that fits you. My kids are mostly live tv watchers and the wife and I are a mixture depending on the evening. When I was deciding between hopper or hr34 I took this into consideration. Sharing of tuners for live tv just didn't fit. We needed the tuners for recording not sharing. Now I am glad I got a HR24 in the bedroom as well to have 7 recording tuners to handle all the stuff we record.

i don't know where you get your definition of "typical" but i know that my family almost never watches something live, unless it is sports. i would say we record 99% of our shows. i think a lot more people record than you think.

you sure about that?
That is what a DVR is for.....I dont know if I am going to be sitting at home when a program comes on. So I have it set to record. I'd rather record the programs then watch then on MY time....Why sit for 3 hours of Monday night RAW when I can scan through it at 11 at night and get through it in 1/2 hour
Also its nice to skip commercials too :)

i don't know where you get your definition of "typical" but i know that my family almost never watches something live, unless it is sports. i would say we record 99% of our shows. i think a lot more people record than you think.

We watch virtually nothing "live". Even sports we are usually watching a few minutes behind - sometimes it is from the live buffer but often we are recording it anyway.

We watch virtually nothing "live". Even sports we are usually watching a few minutes behind - sometimes it is from the live buffer but often we are recording it anyway.

That's usually what we do... A rolling watching. We watch stuff behind about 30 min to an hour. The that way we have no commercials. We usually have other tasks to do during the evening in between shows. I don't like to wait for the second recording that evening, I was forced to do that with Dish and always watching and manage our recordings bumping ones that would record later and keeping the ones that wouldn't.. Real pain. It's been a breathe of fresh air with the 5-7 tuners since I just let it eat and don't have to check the recording schedule all the time.

maybe typical was the wrong word. i think average fits better.
the average directv cust doesnt usually bother reading or posting on forums anyway. otherwise we would see alot more people on this site.
and if they do its not much. correct me if im wrong now, but i would seriously doubt that 10 million directv subscribers have posted on this forum.
basically u aint average.
( which isnt a bad thing)

wasnt the dvr originally made so a person can view shows that they would otherwise miss due to schedule conflicts?
it certainly has other uses sure. but still..

The DVR was invented to make recording shows and avoiding commercials "PRACTICAL". Before the DVR recording and watching those recordings was a PITA. "Honey which tape has this weeks 'Seinfeld', nope not that one honey, I fast forwarded through the entire 6 hours its not on that tape,". From the other room, "Sorry, I remember I recorded over it to get this weeks 'Days of our lives' recorded".

John

so we went from talking about c31's to vcr. lol
i guess the vcr is the old school mrv. u can view a movie/ recording in any room.

what you described was a VCR...

Lots of folks with DVR's record stuff even though they are sitting right there watching it at same time.

what you described was a VCR...

Lots of folks with DVR's record stuff even though they are sitting right there watching it at same time.

true that is, im just saying that the primary function is to record something while ur away from home or otherwise cant view at the time it airs.
plus with dvrs u can record a lot with out haveing boxes of vhs tapes to sort through. dont u just love technology and the way is progresses.:)

edit: and thats a function that the c31 can do to. record something while ur watching it.

Last edited:
Most people I know with DVRs use them to watch Tv on their schedule. Some of them forget they can FF through the commercials and just zone out on their tablet or phone during the commercial.

Most people I know with DVRs use them to watch Tv on their schedule. Some of them forget they can FF through the commercials and just zone out on their tablet or phone during the commercial.

I do that sometimes, forget I'm watching something I recorded! I feel like a knucklehead watching a commercial I could skip through!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts