Cable bill to go to $1,950 per year

[OK, finally here you hit the nail on the head. I have not seen an acceptable "suggestion for improvement", thus indeed everything has been dismissed; you seem to feel 'without reason' (wrong). Give me a suggestion that reduces the cost substantially, and keeps low level internet and the few channels I want, in three rooms, and I guarantee I will accept it. So far, the closest thing I have come up with is an OTA antenna and whatever the cheapest internet is I can get (say 3Mbps or above). With that, I still lose some of the channels I want, but getting all of the 8 or so channels I want seems to mean "pay the $2000 per year."]

After repeated requests, you have not given us any information where we could even start to give you "acceptable suggestions".

Even though it seems, multiple reasonable suggestions have already been given. You don't think so.

Well, That directly contradicts what you previously said: "if you dont watch the premium channels you can get your bill down to under 120$ a month. that would be with 1 dvr and you would lose the 2 other boxes..

so, which of your posts should I believe?

OH, I see. TV direct from cable--but no box. So, what channels do you get that way?

Because while you lose the boxes you still can have basic/standard on those tvs. As you do not need a box to pick up those channels. They are still broadcast analog and any TV with a basic tuner can pick them up. And if you have a TV with a digital Tuner you can even pick up a few more channels.

So both my posts were correct. The basic/standard lineup can be had without a box and you get access to it on every room in the house for the same price.

Regarding that last paragraph, I cannot help but believe that is an intentional design of BHN. Spread out the most desired channels so that the highest price must be paid to get them. Again, it is perfectly their right to do that. And it is my right to try to find a way to cut the cost.

The channels are tierd the way the are for many reasons. One of course is the one you brought up that it will lure people to the higher tiers (only makes business sense) But some are also where they are because of contracts. For example ESPN the most expensive channel of them all, HAS to be on the standard lineup by the contract. Thus automatically adding at least 3$ a month or so to your cable bill for everyone (even those with just the standard package no digital cable)

So it just depends on a few factors why a channel is where it is but the 2 biggest factors are contract/price and business.

In the Tampa Area this is one special I found

COMBO $94.99 TV + INTERNET For 12 Months

Now there maybe others you can get by talking to them via the phone as there are plenty of "save" specials that may even get you more. Maybe free HBO for the year or something. You just have to make the calls and be willing to cancel service. You will more then likely be contacted before the disconnect date and offered an even better deal to stay.

In the Tampa Area this is one special I found

COMBO $94.99 TV + INTERNET For 12 Months

Now there maybe others you can get by talking to them via the phone as there are plenty of "save" specials that may even get you more. Maybe free HBO for the year or something. You just have to make the calls and be willing to cancel service. You will more then likely be contacted before the disconnect date and offered an even better deal to stay.

Now that is a lot less than what I am about to pay here in cfl, but in fairness, we need to know what the total be with DVR + 2 boxes + the taxes and various fees added to it? It is not a fair comparison for me to assess $95 against my ~$162 if the $162 includes components not in the first number. Still, it looks like it would come out quite a bit less. A $50 reduction in actual payment ($600/yr) I think would keep me.

Well that price above includes 1 digital box (hd or non hd doesnt matter). A dvr would add some to the cost im not sure the exact number. Possible around 10-15$ more if you are also keeping the digital box. Then add another 6-8$ for an extra digital box that would put your total minus taxes around 118 (using the highest number amounts) give or take 5-10 bucks. Then add at least 15-20% in taxes (so lets say another 25bucks) that brings you to about 143 or so for everything.

Now thats rough estimate I mean it could certainly shift 5-10 dollars either way but I wouldn't think much more then that.

And like I said calling and doing the whole canceling thing may even get you a little more bang for your buck. Maybe free DVR for a year? Or a free premium channel or like a 10$/month credit or something. Its all in how hard you push. Its like this with any company. From your credit card company, your cell phone to your lawn guy.

I cancelled all cable TV today, and dropped internet to 10MB (gads, that's still $50 + who knows how much in fees and taxes). Am now antenna shopping and checking out various video to computer services.

Nothing at all was offered to keep me, so I am committed to it now. Rep asked why. I said you are too expensive for the few channels we watch. She said OK, and proceeded. Actually, I'm kind of looking forward to the challenge of setting up the alternatives.

Let's see...so BHN revenue drops from $1950 per year to about $600...well say $650 with the gotchas. They could have kept me if they would have dropped it to around $1300.

Last edited:
I cancelled all cable TV today, and dropped internet to 10MB (gads, that's still $50 + who knows how much in fees and taxes). Am now antenna shopping and checking out various video to computer services.
The time to shop is long before you cut the cable. Now the pressure is going to be on if some must-see event comes along and you haven't identified a solution.

harshness, no need to be so harsh.

First, there is no "must see" thing for which info is not available through other media. That is exactly what BHN needs to wake up to. Entertainment is not "must see." Start of nuclear war would be.

Second, I set the cutoff to begin next month precisely to allow for setting up alternatives.

I acknowledge the way I wrote it did not state that the effective date of my cancellation was not immediate.

First, there is no "must see" thing for which info is not available through other media.
I've heard that argument before. The first time I recall the argument the offeror went into a blind panic over Olympics coverage. There are more than a few live events that aren't ever released as recordings or streams.

Others missed the more in depth coverage of news or weather versus the streaming versions that seemed to be short loops.

Changing horses is one thing but jumping off your horse and waiting for another will come along is something entirely different.

The world does not end if you miss the Olympics, the World Series, the Superbowl, or NCAA finals.

See how we have been trained away from discerning what is really important in life?

If you feel you would just die if you missed something like that, well, I can appreciate that. I have been at that place. I am not now...decided there are a lot more important things in life than what is on the screen as I sit on my butt.

Arghhhh... had typed a BUNCH, got distracted, came back and did something that lost the page.
short version.
new bill, should have had TV cancel in it.
all messed up (higher than before).
called - lady agreed it was all screwed up; made no sense whatsoever (they even set a shutoff date that put it with one day of service into the next month).
she worked hard and found promo combinations for $1540 per yr w std internet.
I agreed to stay. wanted lower, but this was lots better than 1950.
Had already selected to order Winegard MS2002 antenna and had a friend primed to do hookups. It might still be in my future sometime.

Smart Home Solutions

10 day wait for service

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)