Cablevision agrees to end Voom

Oh ye, of little faith....

...I've been MIA for a couple of days, and this thread was a shocker...but all I can say is that I, for one, won't believe it until my TV either goes black, or there is an offical statement from the mouth of Charles Dolan.

I don't have now, and never have had a clue as to what is really going on, but I have great faith in men of Charles Dolans' ilk...and I, personally, have nothing to lose by continuing to go on faith in him until he says it's over...or my TV tells me it is.

I'm not even going to try to catch up on other threads...hope I didn't miss too much. Vicki :)

mudpup2003 said:
The news release states that cablevison agrees to shut down VOOM. Nothing new thats what they wanted. However, this does not mean the satellite service is going dark. It also states no more agreements are to be conducted, again nothing new, cablevision would be liable for these, does not mean the service is going dark. All this states is cablevision has washed its hands of VOOM, and it wants out of the liability. To many plans in the works for a company going dark.
Didn't it say Dolan voted to shut down VOOM as well this time?

I am not surprised. It just kills me to see one thread of information blow up to a mountain. One news company, one story, but yet its offical???? no other good news company has said anything. You are only getting bits and pieces. Relax, enjoy, and we will add more subs tomorrow, and the next.....

Considering Edward Horowitz left Voom today as serving as Strategic Advisor to the CEO of Cablevision's satellite service division, Rainbow DBS, I wonder if the writing was already on the wall in retrospect.

This, Newsday tonight, and the end of contracts being able to be written by VOOM paints an ominous picture

...BUT by Mr. Horowitz leaving, does it mean he is heading up a different version of our beloved Voom and trying to get a headstart...or where you got your information, RRT2, state where he was going?

Wow, I read this and decided to see where I might go after the shut down so I called Direct and tried hard not to laugh at the poor girl. I think maybe I will just watch DVDs until someone else gets a clue. They have 15 channels she proudly said - of course that includes national network feeds, 5 pay-per-view channels - Spice HD (more pay-per-view) and NBA and NFL game channels (premium package stuff). So basically 5 channels pluys networks for $11 a month. Oh, and $300 per HDTV. But in July they will have "lots" more, but she could not tell me what. She was also telling me how Dish had bought Voom. My head hurts. I think my foray into satelite is almost over, back to cable I guess, or maybe nothing at all except the OTA stuff.

Just to be clear, I am not turning off VOOM. I will stay until it goes dark. My wife and I love VOOM though we have only had it a few months.

salsadancer7 said:
...BUT by Mr. Horowitz leaving, does it mean he is heading up a different version of our beloved Voom and trying to get a headstart...or where you got your information, RRT2, state where he was going?

Horowitz is going to SES Americom, the owner of AMC-6 (aka Rainbow-2). They also own AMC-15 and AMC-16, two satellites on orbit that Echostar is leasing.

Well the Wall Street Journal reports things a bit different:

http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB111283221220500263,00.html

subscription required but here are some interesting paragraphs:

Critics yesterday also complained that Cablevision hasn't commented on Voom since last Thursday, when an agreement terminated between the company, which wants to shut down the service, and Cablevision Chairman Charles Dolan, who wants to keep it going by acquiring its assets. In March, Cablevision agreed to keep the service going until the end of the month as long as Mr. Dolan subsidized some of its losses while he tried to put together a deal.

Voom has continued to sign up customers since the end of the month although the March deal called for Voom to be shut down once the agreement terminated. Cablevision hasn't disclosed whether the company or Mr. Dolan is now responsible for its losses, which came in at $661.4 million last year. "It's generally bad form for any company to put out deadlines like that and let them pass without commenting," said Kurt Funderburg, an analyst with Harris Associates LP, an investment-management firm that advises mutual funds that own shares in Cablevision.

A follow up story like Newsday's has not appeared. Perhaps more reports will come in during the business day today (4/8/05).

The WSJ implies that VOOM is continuing under unknown to the public circumstances. Perhaps there is still a bit of life in VOOM...

BFG said:
Geez, I'd think you guys would wait until the signal on your box actually goes dark before defeating :D
You've been through these press releases before...
I agree. This is a newspaper report. Even if it is Newsday, a SEC filing or press release would be a better source. (Or even a new verified memo to employees.)

Still Vooming? Enjoy the show.

Sean Mota said:
It has been fun but an official PR from Charles and Tom Dolan to subscribers will make it totally official. That is the least they can do for us.
Truer words have yet to be spoken.

JL

I do not mean to sound bashing or trying to drive people nuts, there are people who come here, looking for information, wanting VOom.... they see all the negitive's. When, do these people really know??? Just sit back and relax, turn on your voom and enjoy it, just like you will in DEC, 2005..

ok guys i am wore out from hitting the refresh button i am going to bed on that.

t

justalurker:

ARRRG i hoped never to see one of those again(the avatar) it is making my head hurt!!! lol.... good post though..

The point is, he is LEAVING. No longer advising. There are very few commercial satellite companies out there Intelsat, SES, PanAmSat. Given that he has worked with SES it is only logical career move.
Becoming the President of a company of a commercial satellite company in no way means he is doing anything with VOOM. Wishful thinking; sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts